Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:14 pm

Author Topic: Vibration from front end when braking  (Read 2402 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Vibration from front end when braking
« on: 20 September 2014, 06:50:05 pm »
I have been getting vibration from the front when braking , happens about 25% of the time , mileage is 34700 , pads were changed 9000 miles ago .
I have taking the callipers off the bike to check the thickness of the pads ( not too sure if there ok or not , they look ok  compared to the picture in the workshop book ) see picture below , I have pushed the front end down whilst braking hard and the forks feel ok , I have raised the front end and spun the wheel , it moves freely and no binding , I have taken the front wheel off to check for movement in the forks and couldn't feel any .

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration from front end when braking
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2014, 08:22:51 pm »
Most likely one or both discs are warped, when riding along try pulling the brake on just a tiny bit, you will probably feel it pulsing at the brake lever. Do you know anyone with the same bike? You could try their front wheel and see if the vibration disappears.

Jim.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2014, 09:22:22 am »
Thanks for the advice Jim  I will give that a try .

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2014, 10:12:44 am »
And if you cant feel it, take the bike down your local motorcycle MOt station and thier machine will show it.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply b1k3dude , seems ok since I put the front wheel back on , new pads arrived today , the old ones  are past the wear markers.
And if you cant feel it, take the bike down your local motorcycle MOt station and thier machine will show it.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
pads can cause a wheel vibration, also discs, disc bobbins, wheel bearings, and loose bolts!!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2014, 07:09:22 pm »
Thanks for replying Solorider , it has also been suggested that the pistons in the calipers might be sticking , they haven't been touched in the 3 and 1/2  years that I have had the bike , going to have a go at cleaning them during the winter . 
pads can cause a wheel vibration, also discs, disc bobbins, wheel bearings, and loose bolts!!

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2014, 08:05:41 pm »
Thanks for replying Solorider , it has also been suggested that the pistons in the calipers might be sticking , they haven't been touched in the 3 and 1/2  years that I have had the bike , going to have a go at cleaning them during the winter . 

Dont wait until winter, it really is a 10 min job. Unbolt 1 caliper an remove from disc. Put something thinner than the disc between pads, I use an old chisel. Pump pistons out until pads hit the new item. Spray on some brake cleaner and clean the newly exposed piston area you can see. Push them back in evenly. Apply some red rubber grease to the seals. Refit to forks. Repeat on other side.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2014, 10:05:22 pm »
I used to get a juddering from the front brake it would happen as I was comming to a stop say at a junction, it would start at about 15 mph and increase as the speed fell, the only thing I can put it down to is contamination on the discs/pads when washing the bike, I used to use wash and wax, now I use a tar & insect spray followed by mr sheen polish (WD40 to remove chain lube), if it's bad I use washing up liquid and water and try not get it on the discs, I'm still on original pads and discs after 37,700 miles and use front brake only for 95% of braking.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2014, 06:50:48 pm »
Some good tips there , I will give it a try and post how I get on , be a bit longer than ten minutes for me though  :rolleyes

Dont wait until winter, it really is a 10 min job. Unbolt 1 caliper an remove from disc. Put something thinner than the disc between pads, I use an old chisel. Pump pistons out until pads hit the new item. Spray on some brake cleaner and clean the newly exposed piston area you can see. Push them back in evenly. Apply some red rubber grease to the seals. Refit to forks. Repeat on other side.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2014, 06:54:49 pm »
That sounds just like mine , I am  noticing it more now  as I am just using the front brake to stop the bike , which was what we were instructed to do at the Ron Haslem track day .
I used to get a juddering from the front brake it would happen as I was comming to a stop say at a junction, it would start at about 15 mph and increase as the speed fell, the only thing I can put it down to is contamination on the discs/pads when washing the bike, I used to use wash and wax, now I use a tar & insect spray followed by mr sheen polish (WD40 to remove chain lube), if it's bad I use washing up liquid and water and try not get it on the discs, I'm still on original pads and discs after 37,700 miles and use front brake only for 95% of braking.