tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
mot
« on: 10 September 2014, 06:09:23 pm »

a quick question regards mot, took the wifes cage in for mot today, current mot runs out the end of this month, it failed on a few small things, the mot man said you cannot drive it on the road now, even though the currant mot does not expire till end of month, is this true,  thanks 

tex
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: mot
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2014, 06:27:52 pm »

I think the mechanic is correct

The previous mot only warrants that the car was good to drive on that day.

This new mot has now superseded the old one and has confirmed that the car is now not safe to drive.

Something could happen to a car the day after being mot'd ie an accident and it could be a total write off even though it is still mot'd for a year.

I crashed my 600 on my home from getting it mot'd last year.....i just got it running and rode it but i should have really got another mot but as soon as it gets logged on the official mot computer then theres no escaping the law.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2014, 06:29:10 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2014, 06:46:10 pm »
this came up recently. you can still legal use it under the current certificate.  infact if he repairs the fault passes the mot he will post date it to start when current one expires
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2014, 06:58:11 pm »

If you get done it won't be because you don't have a valid MoT, it will be because the car is unsafe for use on the road.

The fact that these faults were discovered during an MoT test isn't really relevant, as they could just as easily have been discovered during a random spot-check for example.

That's why the next MoT can be post dated to the end of the current one.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
Also if you fail an MOT and you get it repaired at the time at that garage then they can re-test it for free.
If you take your car/bike away to repair yourself then take it back (within 7 days I think) then you have to pay a re-test fee.
Over the 7 days and you pay for a full test again.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2014, 09:04:23 pm »

thanks for your comments , turns out it was two trivial things, side light bulb and windscreen wipers, mot station was round the corner from Halfords, so risked it and drove round and got the parts. all sorted.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

thanks for your comments , turns out it was two trivial things, side light bulb and windscreen wipers, mot station was round the corner from Halfords, so risked it and drove round and got the parts. all sorted.

The MOT *cough* inspector is a complete tw@ for saying you couldn't drive it on the road..............a couple of advisories. Sounds like a bit of bullsh1t business drumming.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2014, 10:42:01 pm »
This is one thing that seems rather fluid from garage to garage. I took my 600 for a test and it failed - the MOT tester gave me 10 days to fix the faults and retest for free... after that it would be the cost of another MOT

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2014, 10:47:57 pm »
Yip 10 working days to get failed items fixed, the problem with the fail is you are knowingly driving a defective vehicle on the road, mind you if the test had already expired you could legally drive it to an other garage to have it repaired.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2014, 12:42:47 am »
For bulbs and wipers most testing stations will replace the bulb and wiper and then issue a fail and a pass in one go.  A friend is a tester and during one of the routine VOSA checks he was asked why he never seemed to fail anyone on light bulbs.  He pointed to the rack of bulbs on the wall and said, "well I just put a new bulb in".  He was told that he should issue a fail on a light not working and a pass.  Keeps the stats up.  Not sure if it's changed but it used to be the case that you couldn't get done for no MoT, only for not being able to produce one.  So if you've got a pass that hasn't run out yet and a fail just done, you produce the pass.

It's 10 working days (and weekends don't count so 2 weeks in effect) for a retest where they will check things that may have failed in the meantime (such as bulbs) but only the bits it failed on rather than a full test.  Over the 10 working days it's a full test and full fee.  Whether you get charged depends on the garage.  VOSA set the maximum price for a test (£54) and a retest can be no more than half the price of a full test.  Of the two places I use, one charges £50 for a test but a retest is free while the other charges £29 for a test but a retest is £14.50.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2014, 09:57:38 am »
That helps to explain everything, thanks for the info :)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2014, 10:49:37 am »
The confusion is around the automated systems used now. The VOSA computer only seems to send details to the plod about the most recent MOT. So, theoretically, an ANPR check on your reg will show as no valid MOT and may result in a tug from the police. Your "get out of jail free" card is the old MOT which has a valid to date which is still in the future.

Yes you can continue to use the car/bike until that date despite it failing an MOT today but you may get a tug from an inquisitive plod.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2014, 11:38:15 pm »
don't go back to the useless mechanic--he should have just fixed the two minors and then MOT'd it --useless prat

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2014, 06:25:59 pm »
don't go back to the useless mechanic--he should have just fixed the two minors and then MOT'd it --useless prat

agreed

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2014, 12:22:03 am »
took my sisters car for mot, failed on 4 tyres, loads of tread but starting to crack in the tread, asked him about if the car was still tested, he said yes but mr. pold knows its failed on the tyres? as it was booked in next day for new tyres is should be ok?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2014, 06:31:45 am »
took my sisters car for mot, failed on 4 tyres, loads of tread but starting to crack in the tread, asked him about if the car was still tested, he said yes but mr. pold knows its failed on the tyres? as it was booked in next day for new tyres is should be ok?

Sounds like another fast one to me. Unless the ply or chord is visible and I would find it hard to believe a car would fail on all 4 tyres. Especially looking at the state of the tyres on my car which passed. 
Personally if I would bin the mot mechanic fitting them and go to another fitter like kwikfit

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2014, 11:25:04 am »
The cracking was quite bad, I thought it would fail a year ago, the tyres had been on 7 years and all 4 cost less to replace than 1 rear on my bike and I'm lucky if mine lasts a year?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2014, 12:19:40 pm »
All 4 tyres on my car are cracking and are over 5 years old - still got through the MoT with Halfords (I usually don't use them, but I needed an MoT ASAP). I got advisories on all of them with a quoted replacement cost of somewhere north of £600... needless to say, I'm still using the same tyres as they still have 75%+ of their tread

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2014, 08:58:22 am »
I just checked Google & found this article from Which
http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/servicing-and-maintenance/mot-checks/
Car tyres must be the right type and size. If you have fitted a space-saver spare tyre onto one of your wheels, replace it with a standard tyre before the test.
Check that all tyres have a tread depth of at least 1.6mm right the way around and across the central three-quarters of the pattern. Look for significant lumps or cuts in the sidewall.
Although spare tyres aren’t checked as part of the MOT test, those stored externally will need to be fastened securely.
there is loads of other usefull info in that link too!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!