Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:30 pm

Author Topic: Fitting your own tyres  (Read 3324 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fitting your own tyres
« on: 03 September 2014, 12:51:43 am »
Hello good people of fazer land.

I'd like to learn to fit my own tyres.

Can anyone confirm or deny that it's possible to do for a tyre of our sort with a decent set of tyre irons, rim protectors, tyre grease and foot pump?

I've been watching lots of vids and seems simple enough, but doable for our tyres, or over ambitious?

Thanks, Andy

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting your own tyres
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2014, 12:57:07 am »
I used two plain irons and one with 90 degree angle, three all together, on the front wheel fine although it took about 30 mins as it was stuck fast and was quite a job for one person of my diminutive stature. A bit of force needed.

I wouldn't attempt it on the rear as this would surely be a hell of a job getting the thing off and pulling it back over the rim to get one side over. The front was difficult enough but doable. Depends how much muscle and rim damage you want to exert
Three lefts make a right

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2014, 07:23:47 am »
You need something to break the bead (proper tool or a spade)  two levels and tyre soap.  Not sure if a footpump could pop the new tyre on... Maybe with a lot of faffing but once my tyre is on it can take up to 30lbs to pop it in place and the beginning relies on a fast influx of air.
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2014, 07:24:08 am »
Using a compressor and inflator
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2014, 07:25:45 am »
To balance I just put the spindle through supporting one end on something solid and hold the other in my hand. A few wiggles to overcome stiction and it works a charm
Intentionally left blank

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2014, 05:43:26 pm »
If ya cant break the bead put the wheel on the floor under your car tyre and drive over it (Y)

Obviously put something under the rim and make sure you only run over the edge!

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2014, 06:16:20 pm »
Hello folks,

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Okay, it sounds like breaking the bead is the most tricky part and so I've just been watching some more videos about how to do this.

It looks like it can be done via various DIY solutions involving levers etc, or I could get a proper bead breaker tool as doesn't seem too expensive, if a little bulky to store. But either way I guess I'll need something beyond just simple tyre levers if I'm going to break the old tyre's bead without damaging the rims.

How's about getting the new tyre on? Do-able with tyre irons and rim protectors without causing too much damage? From YouTube it seems so just want to check our Fazer tyres aren't super tough or anything.

Point taken on the compressor vs foot pump, kinda suspected that might be the case but thought I would see what people said. I'll either get a compressor or I guess I could use petrol station ones at a push?

Thanks again, Andy

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2014, 08:38:52 pm »
all you need to get it on is two levers, I have never used rim protectors...

If your careful you might get away with it but there is always the odd time you chip a flake of paint off!

Mine is a working bike :p

Intentionally left blank

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2014, 08:42:16 pm »
I have never come across anyone using levers who had not made since cosmetic or worse, damage to rims; I certainly would invite anyone who claims they have avoided this to upload a video of them doing it... Just so losers like me can watch how to do it !!!
Three lefts make a right

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
I have done it with long tyre levers, break bead with a large G-clamp and warming tyres up first on a radiator. But honestly it's not worth the blood, sweat and tears. My local tyre place will change and balance them for £10 and It's well worth the money  :)
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 02:57:42 pm by tony_d123 »

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2014, 03:15:57 pm »
I have done it with long tyre levers, break bead with a large G-clamp and warming tyres up first on a radiator. But honestly it's not worth the blood, sweat and tears. My local tyre place will change and balance them for £10 and It's well worth the money  :)
Totally agree. My local bike shop charges £9.99 to fit and balance (your own tyres purchased not from him) or free if you purchase from him... And his tyre prices are same if not lower than I can source., so why bother fitting my own! 

+1 with Tony on  this
Three lefts make a right

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2014, 03:28:22 pm »
Well it's quite expensive for me because I don't drive a car. The bike is my primary mode of transport, and so I can't take the wheel in for fitting, I have to take the bike, and this makes it a lot more expensive, usually around 0.5 hours labour.

Last time around it was even worse because I was going away on tour but couldn't afford to get both tyres done at once. So I got the front which was needed to be legal and safe before the tour, and the rear the next month after my return. But as the result fitting charges were doubled and totalled 1 hour and £60/hour+VAT = £72, It's a lot for me!

Beyond the cost issue I treat these things as little projects. I enjoy learning how to do little bits on my bike myself, and am always on the lookout for little projects which are within my reach in terms of cost, scale and skill level. Tyres seemed a good option, especially given I get through 2 sets a year. But I'm still at the research stage, getting an idea for if it's sensible or not. So points taken on board as always.

Andy

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2014, 04:23:27 pm »
Hi Andy..

Change your mechanic!! Ive NEVER heard let alone been to a shop that charges for fitting  and balancing when you taken your bike in and have preordered the tyre from him so that he just has to remove old,fit new and balance. Is a15 minute job for the shop. It's 15 Min while u wait with your bike

Change your frekin mechanic.. He's taking the piss mate
Three lefts make a right

Flak

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Speed Triple 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2014, 01:46:27 am »
I've always fitted my own tyres so don't know any different. Advantages: cheaper tyres, more convenient, better job, can do your own permanent puncture repairs.

You're right that breaking the bead on a tubeless is the hardest part. I use a 6" engineers vice but a proper breaker would be good to have.

You'll need at least three levers, two pairs of rim protectors, tyre soap, some method of balancing (I use the Ricambi Weiss) and some stick on weights. I also use a couple of lengths of 4"x2" to rest the wheel on while keeping the brake disc off the ground.

A compressor is nice to have but I've managed it with a foot pump numerous times.

Take out the valve core before you start and kneel on the bead to keep it in the well while working on the opposite side. Make sure that the rim protectors are in position before doing any levering. Take your time and if you break into a sweat you're doing it wrong.

Don't forget to check the new tyre for direction of rotation and put the paint spot next to the valve.

If I've missed anything, give me a  shout...
FZS600, Speed Triple 1050, FZS1000, DT175MX etc.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2014, 10:15:20 am »
I cannot subscribe to the "cheaper if you DIY" argument. sorry. change your shop/mechanic if thats the case; they should be able to buy in bulk and receive upto 20% discount; they also have some leeway in negotiating a price; the latest tyre purchase I made was for a BT-021 120/70 Front - £68 - fitted+  balanced , "while U wait"; total of 15 mins. How can that be less convenient and cheaper than DIY - the best price I could find on the internet for this tyre was £63 - just for delivery of the tyre. Id then have to remove the old one, piss about with breaking the bead, knife an fork it off and get the new tight one over the rim. Then , how do I balance - sure I could have a wheel balancer but thats nowhere near as good as the shop system and I'd have to fk around with weights.
naaa, sorry, but if fitting your own tyre is more convenient and cheaper then all I say is you aint got a good shop / mechanic and they are taking the piss
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 10:16:19 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2014, 11:50:18 am »
fitted a few tyres over the years but only on small bikes,upto 250cc.....so this morning i dug the two spare wheels out of the shed that need the tyres removing (worn out)...i made a bead breaker a few years ago,dont think you`ll do it without one.started on the front as thought a smaller tyre would be easier...using my bead breaker i worked my way around the rim,little bit at a time,think i went round 3/4 times untill the tyre fell away from the rim,turned the wheel over and did the same to the other side....out with the levers and rim protectors,i only have two protectors and this job defo needs 3/4,i made anothe temp one up using an old shampoo bottle  ;) .....slipped the two levers under the rim approx 4in apart and using just one of the levers ,eased tyre over the rim,held this lever in place with my knee and did the same with the other lever.once they are both "levered" one cam be removed and moved along the rim and used again,you should then be able to ease the rest of the tyre off with your hands.....once one side is done do the same with the other but working from the inside out...

then onto the rear...little bit harder this one so a used a bit of washing up liquid around the rim to help out,worked a treat......oh....and no damage to the rims  :D

best bit of advise on this thread comes from FLAK........"break a sweat and your doing it wrong"    :thumbup
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 11:56:23 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2014, 11:52:11 am »
I cannot subscribe to the "cheaper if you DIY" argument. sorry. change your shop/mechanic if thats the case; they should be able to buy in bulk and receive upto 20% discount; they also have some leeway in negotiating a price; the latest tyre purchase I made was for a BT-021 120/70 Front - £68 - fitted+  balanced , "while U wait"; total of 15 mins. How can that be less convenient and cheaper than DIY - the best price I could find on the internet for this tyre was £63 - just for delivery of the tyre. Id then have to remove the old one, piss about with breaking the bead, knife an fork it off and get the new tight one over the rim. Then , how do I balance - sure I could have a wheel balancer but thats nowhere near as good as the shop system and I'd have to fk around with weights.
naaa, sorry, but if fitting your own tyre is more convenient and cheaper then all I say is you aint got a good shop / mechanic and they are taking the piss

You keep mentioning prices, but i would imagine they all vary throughout the UK quite a bit.
I normally take my wheel off and get a lift up to get my own tyres changed that i've already bought.

When i had my MOT a few days ago i had my own new tyre taken in for me and was charged £55 all in.
I believe the MOT is currently £29.95, so i was charged £25 for a tyre swap.

I'm in North London though so i expect to pay a bit more.

I reckon once you have your own correct tools and you're confident you won't seriously foc it up then without a doubt you will save a few quid in the long run, but for me personally i don't have them changed often enough for me to be worried about a £10-£25 charge every couple of years or so to have a pro job done.

Ironic really, as my dad and both my older brothers used to all be tyre fitters!  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2014, 11:54:10 am »
fitted a few tyres over the years but only on small bikes,upto 250cc.....so this morning i dug the two spare wheels out of the shed that need the tyres removing (worn out)...i made a bead breaker a few years ago,dont think you`ll do it without one.started on the front as thought a smaller tyre would be easier...using my bead breaker i worked my way around the rim,little bit at a time,think i went round 3/4 times untill the tyre fell away from the rim,turned the wheel over and did the same to the other side....out with the levers and rim protectors,i only have two protectors and this job defo needs 3/4,i made anothe temp one up using an old shampoo bottle  ;) .....slipped the two levers under the rim approx 4in apart and using just one of the levers ,eased tyre over the rim,held this lever in place with my knee and did the same with the other lever.once they are both "levered" one cam be removed and moved along the rim and used again,you should then be able to ease the rest of the tyre off with your hands.....once one side is done do the same with the other but working from the inside out...

then onto the rear...little bit harder this one so a used a bit of washing up liquid around the rim to help out,worked a treat......oh....and no damage to the rims  :D

The old "shampoo bottle rim protector" trick.........i like your style.  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2014, 11:58:09 am »
ive got style !!!!!!!.......   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol   

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2014, 12:01:58 pm »
just had a thought,iam just about to take a load of garden waste to the dump,ive thrown the tyres on top and will take with me,i know iam only allowed to dispose of a certain amount of tyres per year  via house hold waste...will let you know how i get on....tyre fitters do charge for disposal , this is all in with the fitting charge...

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2014, 12:11:53 pm »
Mention price because the post above refers to DIY being cheaper. Nope.

I'm in lytham, Lancashire, so yeah.. Prices are going to be much much cheaper that London with a local friendly shop set in rural countryside  :lol
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2014, 12:16:47 pm »
Mention price because the post above refers to DIY being cheaper. Nope.

I'm in lytham, Lancashire, so yeah.. Prices are going to be much much cheaper that London with a local friendly shop set in rural countryside  :lol

Yeah, we don't have friendly people in London, everyone's a miserable foccer.  >: 
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 12:24:08 pm by darrsi »

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2014, 12:19:28 pm »
Couple of my ex's live in E2, and they were VERY friendly  :rollin
Three lefts make a right

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2014, 03:32:33 pm »
Just got back from the dump.....iam allowed to dispose of 5 tyres a year at local council run dump....no charge, they just keep count.....iam never going to use more than five a year, car inc....

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2014, 04:38:15 pm »
Thanks ever so much for all the responses folks, lots of valid points and very helpful experiences both for and against, in particular thanks to Red and Flak for their detailed info.

Lots for me to think on, but at it's most basic I'm concluding that yes in principle it can be done with basic tools, and yes I have been paying over the odds.

I think when the time comes I'm going to have a go at it myself and see how I get on, I'll just treat it as a mini project and learning experience, if I end up using a professional fitter in future then no harm done.

I'll let you know how it turns out  :eek

Andy
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 04:39:23 pm by andybesy »