Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:44 am

Author Topic: poor idle and TPS  (Read 4012 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
poor idle and TPS
« on: 02 September 2014, 08:27:07 pm »
I thought my bike was idling ok until I saw some vids on youtube of FZS600 yr 2000 (same as mine) with the RPM needle stuck on 1250 (or thereabouts but the key was the needle was stuck fast like a fuel injection system), not even twitching. Mine twitches probably between 1150 and 1350. Exact variations are not easy without a separate tacho as the gauge markers are so close; Anyway I've balanced the carbs with a Morgan Pro and there was no apparent vacuum leaks and the carbs were all balanced fine; the valve clearances were checked recently by me and were in tolerance and bang on; the bike has done 17K miles. New plugs and gaps checked + New air filter + new fuel filter all fitted last week.

TPS shows 5K when disconnected/reconnected but I was wondering if there is a slight adjustment that can be made and it would still read 5K but improve idle; for example, could it be turned a few degrees and still read 5K but improve idle; im not that good with electrics so dont want to attempt this without posting here first.

thanks.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 08:27:38 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: poor idle and TPS
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2014, 08:42:29 pm »
No
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2014, 08:51:31 pm »
Which air filter did you put in?

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 08:55:59 pm »
OEM filter mate; well actually I just used an airline to clean it; it was like new; and thanks for the tip on the TPS - which I will leave alone
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2014, 09:02:54 pm »
OEM filter mate; well actually I just used an airline to clean it; it was like new; and thanks for the tip on the TPS - which I will leave alone

I'm not familiar with OEM filters, did it have Yamaha written on it?
And are you saying you don't actually know how old it is even though it looked newish?
Was it a snug fit or did it drop in with a little bit of spare movement around the sides?

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 09:16:25 pm »

I'm not familiar with OEM filters, did it have Yamaha written on it?
And are you saying you don't actually know how old it is even though it looked newish?
Was it a snug fit or did it drop in with a little bit of spare movement around the sides?
Cheers mate; I cant remember what markings where on it but it looked like a OEM filter - I've bought several for this model - and there were no obvious dust particles, bits of insect, grit etc.
It dropped into the box easily although I wouldnt say it rattled around nor was it a tight squeeze

??
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2014, 09:23:41 pm »
A lot of people buy cheap Hi-Flo filters which are basically shit, and don't let enough air through.
They would still look like an OEM filter, but doesn't mean it is though.
I tried one for a few days years back then binned it because the bike just wasn't running right, and it was the only thing i'd recently altered.

On fitting a new K&N i noticed that the fit was completely snug and air tight around the top seal, whereas the HI-Flo had about 5mm of play so it just fell in.
Massive difference in airflow though, very noticeable in comparison.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
I could just but an OEM I suppose - but with K+N I'm not sure about this. Because the additional air must lean out the mixture - my plugs reveal the engine is not running rich enough to warrant letting more air in - you and I are already discussing this in another thread so I wont post here , but rather the other thread.
??
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2014, 09:42:58 pm »
I could just but an OEM I suppose - but with K+N I'm not sure about this. Because the additional air must lean out the mixture - my plugs reveal the engine is not running rich enough to warrant letting more air in - you and I are already discussing this in another thread so I wont post here , but rather the other thread.
??

Well not really, you asked about your idle bouncing about so i've just suggested your filter in your bike could be to blame.
The K&N part is irrelevant, i was talking about a possible Hi-Flo filter being the cause.

You can't just ask a question then decide to have a chat elsewhere, it doesn't really work like that.

If somebody looks up TPS in the search box they'll end up on this post thinking what a pile of shite that was?

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2014, 09:48:47 pm »
?? mate, you mentioned the K&N in this thread.

I get what you are saying though.

The only reason I referred to the other thread is that I didnt want to get someone coming in saying ... "you've already got a thread on this so why are you repeating yourself here". It happens, has happened ...  I cannot win !! :'(

Anyway, enough said on the subject which was TPS and poor idle - the answer seems to be "NO - the TPS cannot be adjusted as I suggested , to make a difference. Its either right or its not [5K test]" so thank you for confirming.

In relation to the air filter, I will use the other thread [to avoid the above] to follow this up: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14460.0.html as it seems the right place to capture all the views and K&Ns are being discussed although I appreciate you were helping by raising the possibility of air filter issues - I get it .

Thanks mate
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 09:54:30 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2014, 09:57:21 pm »
 :tape

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2014, 10:02:35 pm »
dont be like that , no offence intended , I appreciate your views and ideas. this bloody messaging system takes away about 80% of communication you know, you have to be spot on to get the right tone , and with an 80% margin of error - I aint always going to get the message across in ways that people find acceptable or on my wavelength. It doesnt help when you have never met the person your talking to.
Honest mate, I wasnt being abrupt or anything - just asked a simple question , got the simple answer from you, and though "ok - thats that then - back to the drawing board but I will converse on that other thread about air filters"
By the way, I have since ordered a YAM OEM air filter from wemoto so we shall see.
I've just bit the bullet against all the logic , and taking advice/experience from foccers , have ordered a K&N from Demon Tweaks. We shall see....

THANKS  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 11:30:15 pm by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2014, 11:56:26 pm »
dont be like that , no offence intended , I appreciate your views and ideas. this bloody messaging system takes away about 80% of communication you know, you have to be spot on to get the right tone , and with an 80% margin of error - I aint always going to get the message across in ways that people find acceptable or on my wavelength. It doesnt help when you have never met the person your talking to.
Honest mate, I wasnt being abrupt or anything - just asked a simple question , got the simple answer from you, and though "ok - thats that then - back to the drawing board but I will converse on that other thread about air filters"
By the way, I have since ordered a YAM OEM air filter from wemoto so we shall see.
I've just bit the bullet against all the logic , and taking advice/experience from foccers , have ordered a K&N from Demon Tweaks. We shall see....

THANKS  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So what your saying is you've ordered a K&N which has a 1000,000 mile guarantee, with first recommended clean at 50,000 miles.

AND you bought a Yamaha OEM one as well?

Something's not right here?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2014, 12:07:34 am »

THANKS  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So what your saying is you've ordered a K&N which has a 1000,000 mile guarantee, with first recommended clean at 50,000 miles.

1,000,000 mile guarantee?  :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2014, 12:12:56 am »

THANKS  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

1,000,000 mile guarantee?  :rollin

Wrong word, i meant warranty.  :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2014, 12:18:37 am »
It was the 1,000,000 miles that I found funny :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2014, 12:26:53 am »

All legit apparently, they have faith in their product, although i believe you could ask to pay more if you ever wanted an extended warranty.  :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2014, 12:31:12 am »

All legit apparently, they have faith in their product, although i believe you could ask to pay more if you ever wanted an extended warranty.  :lol

Demand your money back at 999,999 miles :lol I've been to the moon and back twice and I've noticed a slight hole in the filter I demand a full refund :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2014, 12:37:29 am »
 :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2014, 12:45:39 am »
 :lol

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2014, 12:54:09 am »
I didnt buy a OEM air filter, I just cleaned it as above : http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14567.msg164707.html#msg164707  so ---- the only thing that's not right is that the posts are not being read  ;) :lol

I just cleaned the air filter alas this did not sort the problem so I've ordered a K&N on good advice from you+others ; however, my bike is running lean so because I've ordered a K&N which will make it run even leaner, I have also ordered a carb pilot screw adjuster as I've just burnt my freckin fingers trying to piss around under the carbs with an operating temp heated bike  :evil . I wanted to check/set the idle mixture on each carb as the plugs colour indicate a lean mixture certainly in #3 and to a lesser degree on #4 - I've raised another thread about pilot screw adjustment in case anyone searches for pilot screw/idle mixture http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14571.0.html  I could have easily included it here though but I'm fairly confident I wont do the right thing and someone would complain that the topic is getting confusing, or I'm mixing up subjects, or I should split the thread - you cant win !
« Last Edit: 03 September 2014, 01:14:19 am by MC680x0 »
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2014, 05:47:25 am »
I didnt buy a OEM air filter, I just cleaned it as above : http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14567.msg164707.html#msg164707  so ---- the only thing that's not right is that the posts are not being read  ;) :lol

I just cleaned the air filter alas this did not sort the problem so I've ordered a K&N on good advice from you+others ; however, my bike is running lean so because I've ordered a K&N which will make it run even leaner, I have also ordered a carb pilot screw adjuster as I've just burnt my freckin fingers trying to piss around under the carbs with an operating temp heated bike  :evil . I wanted to check/set the idle mixture on each carb as the plugs colour indicate a lean mixture certainly in #3 and to a lesser degree on #4 - I've raised another thread about pilot screw adjustment in case anyone searches for pilot screw/idle mixture http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14571.0.html  I could have easily included it here though but I'm fairly confident I wont do the right thing and someone would complain that the topic is getting confusing, or I'm mixing up subjects, or I should split the thread - you cant win !

"....By the way, I have since ordered a YAM OEM air filter from wemoto so we shall see...."

I think i read that quite properly, and i can't really see that sentence meaning too much else, but if i did read that incorrectly then please enlighten me as to where i went wrong?  :look

« Last Edit: 03 September 2014, 05:48:51 am by darrsi »

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2014, 08:25:22 am »
Rather than getting pissy I'll answer the original post by saying I think that the idle fluctuation you mentioned sounds fine to me considering the age of the bike.  I'd say thats roughly what mine is like and runs perfectly fine.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2014, 12:38:13 pm »
Just started my bike after sitting 5 weeks idle (I'm off sick) and let it tickover for about 8 mins to get the juices flowing, and after about 4mins the needle was virtually static around the 1150rpm mark, maybe 1mm play in it.
Bike's same year as both of yours but mine's on 44K miles, compared to the OP's 17K.
I'm not getting "pissy" about anything, just informing you of what I just saw, before I take it up for an MOT and a new front tyre.  :)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 September 2014, 12:44:14 pm »
Cheers darrsi... You certainly got me thinking now cos by comparison of bikes , mine should idle better. I'm going to drop this k&n in then set/ adjust the pilot screws then resync carbs.

BTW, I received my previous statement about not reading posts,... I meant to say I had bought a K&N not b an OEM, for sidetracked and left the typing and cane back to it. So me owes you an apolz on that one  :o
Three lefts make a right