Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:10 pm

Author Topic: Best value "on bike camcorder"  (Read 3921 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Best value "on bike camcorder"
« on: 31 August 2014, 10:52:44 am »
I've finished building the gt550 for my missus's brother in Canada...have posted some videos for him on YouTube but want to do an on bike video to send him...anybody know what's the best available cheapo one?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Best value "on bike camcorder"
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2014, 11:39:50 am »

I've got a drift HD stealth i'm considering selling Ogri......i got it last year on ebay and i used it a couple of times but i've lost interest in it.

Here's a link to an online review......a mountain biking review but should give you the just on it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/helmet-cams/product/review-drift-innovation-hd170-stealth-camera-11-44841/

To you i'd say £60 posted.

I can get some pics up if you like.

Nog
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2014, 11:45:15 am »
...And to you I'd say "yes please" if you do sell noggy, don't need to read the review, I know your a fine feller, if you say it's Oakley dokely that's good enough for moi... ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2014, 12:14:20 pm »
Ive got the same camera....very good picture, clear and stable.....thats a fantastic price ,think I paid double for mine new and that was good value for money.......hav'nt figured out how to edit and post vids yet  :o.....think it could be down to my aging PC....either that or its aging owner   :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2014, 12:23:40 pm »

Here's a little video i did on the 600......youtube usually doesn't default to the full quality so you have to go on the youtube options thingy to increase up to the full 1150 or whatever pixels.........so the camera is basically as good as the likes of youtube are good enough at viewing the videos.

Also no external mike fitted hence the sound is all wind gargled

Mine includes the little wrist strap on off switch which is nifty.

http://youtu.be/L-Kg2MZPxvQ

Davidjw

• DAS Born Again
  • thought i would do it , so here I am !
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - push bike !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2014, 04:22:49 pm »
IMG 20140831 161251
IMG 20140831 161251
I got one of these off eBay £17 and it fits behind the screen which is tinted , but works a treat , actually got it to the car but thought I would try it , well impressed
IMG 20140831 161237
IMG 20140831 161237
its only me !   :-)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2014, 08:06:57 pm »
What make is that? Do you have a link?

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2014, 08:41:33 pm »

Here's a little video i did on the 600......youtube usually doesn't default to the full quality so you have to go on the youtube options thingy to increase up to the full 1150 or whatever pixels.........so the camera is basically as good as the likes of youtube are good enough at viewing the videos.

Also no external mike fitted hence the sound is all wind gargled

Mine includes the little wrist strap on off switch which is nifty.

http://youtu.be/L-Kg2MZPxvQ

great video rosemary!!  :kiss

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2014, 02:53:52 pm »
Noggy......how long does the battery last and what sort of SD card can you put in it?
Looking to ride up Mt Ventoux (iconic Tour de France mountain) on my push bike and been looking on eBay for cheap cameras, reckon it will take me at least 2 hours non stop so need something that can do that, will your's?
if it will and Ogri says no, then I'd be interested at £60
fire never sleeps

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2014, 08:30:40 pm »

Daraaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

At long last i found the wrist remote & universal clip mount thing....sorry about that my house is upside down preparing for micro nog.

I forgot to say that it doesn't include the memory card, i had to buy one from Comet and it's in my digital camera now.

It takes the normal sized memory cards...not those micro sd ones that just made life complicated coz you couldnt easily use your old memory cards :( ........[size=78%]but with the HD on this you need a big capacity memory card for a long journey.[/size]

[size=78%]Regards maddogs question then i cant quite remember how long but it certainly lasted a few hours on the single battery......i remember thinking that id like either another spare battery or i was gonna but the thicker double capacity one instead......you take out a bit of plastic from i side the housing to make room for the thick battery.....i believe they're quite cheap on ebay for spares.[/size]

You'll prob need to buy some sticky attachments if you want to mount it on your helmet or whatever.....i only had this clip on the noggyfighter which clamped over my Renthal bar brace.....i wrapped the brace with a sliced old rad hose and then clamped onto that......but noggyfighter didnt have a fairing.

[/size]Ogri you still have 1st dibs so if you still want it then it's yours......i could post it on monday.

As you can see theres a coup,e cables that i havent opened...i think they're a tenner a pop on their own usually.

One of them is a male rca phono mic in cable 1m..........i never got round to buying an external mike.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2014, 08:32:55 pm by noggythenog »

Gary

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2014, 08:34:12 pm »
Theres a GoPro style camera doing the rounds on ebay, aliexpress and other sites. Its SJ4000. Video quality I have seen is excellent for the price. Its obviously a copy but there are known fakes (of a fake I guess) as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-HD-1080P-SJ4000-Waterproof-Action-Camera-Extra-battery-and-Charger-/121391510004?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item1c437f71f4

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2014, 08:39:17 pm »
Yup I'll have it nogster, pm me how you want paying bud..PayPal as a gift?
Atvb bud

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2014, 08:50:22 pm »

As if i dont already seem like some dodgy thieving gypsy seller already then believe it or not i also have this little device for sale.

I feel guilty as hell as it was a gift from my parents last xmas but i just wont use it........why....because i get really pissed off in my car when theres a lead coming from the power socket which is by the handbrake and dangling up over the dash and to the windscreen.......it just grips my shit.

So it was got for my car and it apparently senses when you slam on the brakes or whatever and can start recording for evidence i suppose....but it looks like it is also basically a HD video camera.....im not quite sure as ihaven't  broken the seal on the box to look at it....it is unopened/unused......just stored since last crimbo......so im not sure how good it would be on a bike.

Here's a link to Amazon.....£70 they want but i will be honest ive seen it elsewhere for £50......which strangely is from the same company that amazon are selling it for......so basically that must mean that amazon nick £20 the thieving bastards.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oitez-car-camera-DP-R23-720p/dp/B00C75FMVS

It got fifth gear best buy award. 8)

Anyway if anyone wants this one.....£35 posted.

Proceed go to feeding my family.........bollocks to that they really go to a K&N and new battery for my thou. :)
« Last Edit: 05 September 2014, 08:51:26 pm by noggythenog »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2014, 10:15:48 am »
Btw good vid nog, how did you put the music too it?

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2014, 12:51:51 pm »
Where would you mount that on the bike/helmet?

I just popped on to see about helmet/bike camera after a SMIDSY last night.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2014, 07:20:50 pm »
Ive got the same camera....very good picture, clear and stable.....thats a fantastic price ,think I paid double for mine new and that was good value for money.......hav'nt figured out how to edit and post vids yet  :o .....think it could be down to my aging PC....either that or its aging owner   :rolleyes

I'm currently playing with Windows Movie Maker, which comes free with a few versions of Windows. I'm on Windows 8, but XP also had it, and so I imagine Windows  7 also has it. If not, I'm sure you can get it free from the Microsoft site.

Seems to be simple and yet capable of half decent edits. Not yet finished any project on there! :-P

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2014, 06:18:43 am »

Hey Ogri, like kawa says the windows movie maker is a good start......however I found it a bit long winded and it took me ages to do a small clip........theres gotta be some simpler edit suites out there but they may cost.....it also allowed me to stick a cd in the laptop and dub it over the top of the video.

Mind send me your address mate and ill get it posted off to you.

cheers

nog

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2014, 11:05:39 am »
Where would you mount that on the bike/helmet?

I just popped on to see about helmet/bike camera after a SMIDSY last night.

Many choices for mounting camera:

1. Right side of helmet, sort of chin area.
2. Top of helmet, but be careful it doesn't interfere with visor opening.
3. Front screen or side fairing, if you have enough flat surface to make the mounting bracket stick.

There was a go-pro mounting bracket just below the screen on my fazer when I bought it. Brilliant view of road ahead, but it vibrates like hell so pretty rubbish for stable videos.
Next I'm gonna bite the bullet and mount camera on side of helmet.
These mounts can be removed with dental tape/floss, and replacement sticky 3M pads are available, so you are able to experiment with what works best for you.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2014, 11:10:57 am »
I've moved to mounting mine on the mirror stalk.

I used to have it on the side of my helmet but the more I thought about it, it could potentially spin your head in an off, especially if the camera or mount dug into the ground, with unfortunate consequences.

Not worth the risk imo so always fixed to the bike now.