Date: 26-04-24  Time: 22:11 pm

Author Topic: Test Rides  (Read 5450 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Re: Test Rides
« Reply #25 on: 28 August 2014, 07:54:11 am »
Fazersharp, the bike surely would have to be declared as a cat D ? repaired bike? therefore effectively reducing the value of the bike by thousands.
Surely the only concern about the £500.00 excess would be if you were involved in a no blame accident and the other party either failed to stop or was not insured. I am sure the dealer would sympathetic but suspect you are down £500.00, life sometimes is not fair but it is the world we live in.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2014, 08:50:48 am »
How does he know it is my bike I am selling , arranged to meet him in a car park , I have his car keys he disappears over the hill I am in his car and gone!!!!! has to be a certain amount of trust, not everyone is bent.  :rolleyes

If someone is happy buying a bike from a guy in a car park that's their lookout, but that's another no no.

As a buyer, it should be from a legit address on the V5 or at least proof the guy lives at the address on the V5. If not, I walk away, plenty of bikes out there to choose from to risk getting turned over.

I agree not everyone is bent, but plenty are, and if you're giving someone thousands of pounds payment or selling a bike worth it, then it's daft not to cover yourself.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #27 on: 04 September 2014, 02:50:49 pm »
I recently took a honda NC750S out for a pre-arrranged test ride from a Dealer in Cornwall, they took a swipe of my credit card as insurance for upto £1000 incase of any damage& a copy of my licence.
I didn't mind the preauthorisation as I would with a hotel room! and they did destroy the details in front of me.
they weren't too happy I had 6 points on my licence and said that i could have bike for an hour. and I had to sign with date & time of ride. I only had bike for 30 mins as I soon realised it wasn't for me. I made him sign with time i handed keys back just in case someone else took it back out after I finished with it!

must admit that I probably didn't enjoy it for a couple of reasons but knowing that if I had an off would cost me a grand just made me bit too nervous at the start & on A30 couldn't relax enough even though its a road I know very well!
Still thinking about a 2nd bike but having just added a project freelander to my stable think it will have to wait till next summer!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 September 2014, 05:21:58 pm »
I did half a dozen test rides with various dealers in 2010 and was never asked to pay a deposit , is this a new thing , and do car dealers take a deposit for test drives .
You would think with plummeting bike sales the dealers would do everything they can to encourage people to buy  bikes , as has previously been said why can't they have some kind of waiver insurance similar to when you hire a car .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 September 2014, 06:04:22 pm »
No- car test drives do not ask, its not a deposit as such but you sign to agree to pay up to £500/1000 IF you damage it, snap a mirror- you get your dosh back minus the cost of the mirror, its to cover the bike shops OWN excess that they have to pay on their insurance if you bin it.
Like I said before the shop pays the insurance excess (or rather you do) then the insurance pays out to the shop the cost of the shop fixing it - on which the shop makes a profit, we are not talking about write offs but just a drop will do £500/£1000 damage once you add labour cost, so you pay the shops excess and they make a profit on the repairs, sounds like a scam to me. Would not be supprised if the excess is much lower than tey say anyway.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 September 2014, 09:07:25 pm »
Me and the Mrs recently bought a new car and whilst visiting the dealer the salesmen let us take a demonstrator out for a couple of hours. Twice.
I wouldn't of paid to ride a bike I know that much

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.