Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:20 pm

Author Topic: Tank vibration cured!!  (Read 1775 times)

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Tank vibration cured!!
« on: 13 August 2014, 03:53:54 pm »
After a few weeks tearing my hair out trying to diagnose the vibes on my fazer, I've finally sorted it and thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue.

I took it for a blast today and noticed that the vibes in the tank and seat we're coming from the tank yet nothing touching it or around it was vibrating.  As I was riding I moved my handcarts the tank and found that it was buzzing like crazy at the front end of the tank transferring down more at certain revs. I stopped and removed the small front bolt which attaches the front of the tank and hey presto the vibes stopped. I re attached very loosely by hand and rode home with 90% less vibes.

It seems like the front bolt is pulling the tank forward slightly, and not totally lining up. When it's tightened it's putting a fair bit of strain on its rubber bracket (and almost flexing the tank) which in turn in creating resonant vibration throughout the tank.

I'm gonna try inserting a rubber bush between the bracket and frame to stop it but for the time being it's just hand tightened using my fingers and it feels so much better.

Really chuffed as those vibes were really spoiling my enjoyment of the bike.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Tank vibration cured!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Sorted  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

itchywheels

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600Z, C90, R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2014, 11:03:23 pm »
 :thumbup
Into the great wide open, under the skies of blue. Out in the great wide open, a rebel without a clue.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 10:11:18 pm »
Good spot!

I had the same problem and similar fix although I used those white felt polishing wheels from a dremel kit and put one underneath and one on top of the hole on the tank front bracket then hand tightened the 8mm (I think it was 8mm) nut to attach the tank to the frame.

All sorted but I probably want to find some rubber grommets as a more permanent fix
Three lefts make a right

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2014, 10:39:54 pm »
I've hand tightened mine now with thread lock so it doesn't rattle loose. Seems to do the job. Might pop on some rubber tap washers and see if I can tighten it a bit more.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2014, 11:10:51 pm »
Interesting thread, i've had similar problems with a high frequency vibe through the tank and fairing, although it dissapears after 65 -70 mph or so.
I also get a slight buzz through the footrests as well, so might try the tank bolt jobbie and see if that cures it.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

Davew

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2014, 10:16:43 am »

Interesting thread, i've had similar problems with a high frequency vibe through the tank and fairing, although it dissapears after 65 -70 mph or so.
I also get a slight buzz through the footrests as well, so might try the tank bolt jobbie and see if that cures it.

G ; )

Try loosening the front small bolt off first and going for a ride, then the rear bolt as well to see if that helps, I also made sure my exhaust and downpipe bolts were tightened up and all those little adjustments got rid of about 80% of the vibrations.  I dont think you'll get rid of the footpeg vibrations around 6k, but I found the tank and seat ones to be the most uncomfortable anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2014, 11:26:02 am »

G ; )

You can also try slightly repositioning your end can so that the rubber stop from the centre stand sits slightly different.
You could be getting vibes transferred from the exhaust, through the centre stand, and onto your footpegs.
Also is the rubber bung on the centre stand in good condition as well?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.