Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:55 pm

Author Topic: Which Coolant?  (Read 4927 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Which Coolant?
« on: 07 August 2014, 02:32:52 pm »
So Im just about to drain my coolant system to fit my AIS removal kit, and wonder what sort of coolant should I be getting to refill the system after I'm finished?

any ideas?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Which Coolant?
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 04:31:25 pm »
I use vauxhall coolant mixed with distilled water in my bike, it is a long life antifreeze and is designed with alluminium in mind. I do get it cheap so if you are local to swindon I can get you some
Asda do the distilled water cheap.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2014, 05:00:06 pm »
i use the yamaha stuff

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2014, 05:49:23 pm »
I'll be swapping to this in the near future
 http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1703?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbRebiEXWZ6FJl9NkbGMgeNr80zh3K-6Ha5nrFBNvw0QaAuqx8P8HAQ

Makes some sense if you believe the blurb, but £65 is bonkers when the just as effective alternatives (water, glycol) are so cheap.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2014, 06:14:50 pm »
I use vauxhall coolant mixed with distilled water in my bike, it is a long life antifreeze and is designed with alluminium in mind. I do get it cheap so if you are local to swindon I can get you some
Asda do the distilled water cheap.
Thanks for the offer solorider. I'm in Glasgow though, so a bit far :lol

I'll pop down to halfords and just get some coolant suitable for aluminium as I'm just about to put the bike back together :)

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
Dont go to Halfrauds. I needed some for one of the vans the other day it was about 25 quid there and 15 from Jayars.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2014, 08:23:09 pm »
I went to halfords in the end. I know you always overpay in there (I have a trade card so it's not the worst) but it's handy when you need things sorted and running,like, now :lol

My searching of pats guide on fitting the ivans ais kit turned up that the coolant I needed was an ethylene glycol based anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors for an aluminium engines which is low in silicates.

So I got the silicate free version of halfords coolant which is also ethylene glycol based. (I bought the 50% mix as it saved faffing but they also sell concentrate.)

Just thought I would include that info incase anyone else stumbles on this while searching.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 12:54:15 pm »

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 01:37:18 pm »

Hi Tefer,
You'd have to make sure that it has the necessary corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines and is also low in silicates, just as mickvp has stated. Personally I wouldn't use it if it doesn't meet those parameters.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2017, 01:51:31 pm »
I use the anti-freeze they sell at ASDA.  Its blue, cheap and fine... 
Intentionally left blank

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2017, 04:33:13 pm »

Hi Tefer,
You'd have to make sure that it has the necessary corrosion inhibitors for aluminium engines and is also low in silicates, just as mickvp has stated. Personally I wouldn't use it if it doesn't meet those parameters.

Yeah noticed that MickVP got Halfords stuff, not sure if its this? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres

Post is over two years old but thought i'd ask here rather than start new?

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2017, 05:24:12 pm »

Hi Tefer,

Yeah noticed that MickVP got Halfords stuff, not sure if its this? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres

thats ok as its silicate free (silicates will damage the water pump)
usually cheaper to buy it neat though rather than ready to use
if neat then best to mix with distilled water rather than tap

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2017, 08:08:52 pm »
Also by mixing it yourself you can be sure of a 50/50 ratio as recommended on Pat's site.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2017, 11:59:38 am »
I think it was a green/blue colour stuff that was in, can i swap to pink/red or will i have to flush the system?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2017, 06:48:52 pm »
I'd flush the system as you're only using distilled water.Leave it on the sidestand with the drain bolt out and just pour it in until it runs out clear.Peace of mind if nothing else :) .

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2017, 07:10:18 pm »
« Last Edit: 24 February 2017, 07:11:58 pm by blackcabbie »

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2017, 12:55:50 pm »
I'd flush the system as you're only using distilled water.Leave it on the sidestand with the drain bolt out and just pour it in until it runs out clear.Peace of mind if nothing else :) .

Cheers, so I don't need to run the bike then? Just let it go in and through until clear? What about the expansion tank, that won't empty, will I need to remove and clear?

Thanks Blackcabbie I had looked at that, they have a sale on too so can get three litres for £6, not sure if that's silicate free or low silicates?

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2017, 01:13:21 pm »

Cheers, so I don't need to run the bike then? Just let it go in and through until clear? What about the expansion tank, that won't empty, will I need to remove and clear?

Thanks Blackcabbie I had looked at that, they have a sale on too so can get three litres for £6, not sure if that's silicate free or low silicates?

the concentrated one is silicate free so that should be the same
http://www.racshop.co.uk/travel-touring/winter-driving/de-icer-anti-freeze/product/523770481-tripleqx.html

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2017, 01:24:23 pm »
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770511&0&cc5_866

just get this stuff from euro car parts its pre mixed as well

That's what i put in my FZ1 - similar specs to the best stuff and ally friendly  :kiss

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2017, 11:41:07 am »
Cheers guys.

Eurocar parts have a sale on so will nip in and grab some of this, my mechanic pal was saying Comma G30 is Silicate free so i can get that to but the Euro stuff is cheaper.

Just need to see about removing excess from expansion.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2017, 10:56:35 pm »

Hi Tefer,

I've just used this in my mighty Aprilia Leonardo 150 twist'n'go that I use to hack backwards and forwards to work and the guy in Halfords advised me to flush my system right through as if you mix it with the blue antifreeze it turns to was and jams up the water pump. I just pulled the bottom hose off the engine and kept pouring clean tap water into the expansion tank until it ran completely clear out of the engine. I know it's not a Fazer but the principle is the same. :)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2017, 12:13:35 pm »

Hi Tefer,

I've just used this in my mighty Aprilia Leonardo 150 twist'n'go that I use to hack backwards and forwards to work and the guy in Halfords advised me to flush my system right through as if you mix it with the blue antifreeze it turns to was and jams up the water pump. I just pulled the bottom hose off the engine and kept pouring clean tap water into the expansion tank until it ran completely clear out of the engine. I know it's not a Fazer but the principle is the same. :)

Thanks i managed to syringe the expansion tank and will flush some water through the system. :)