Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:54 am

Author Topic: 3 wire speed sensor  (Read 3286 times)

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
3 wire speed sensor
« on: 05 August 2014, 12:13:12 pm »
Does anyone know if I can use a different 3 wire speed sensor with OEM clocks? I was thinking I will have to custom mount the sensor head and probably change the plug to connect it to the Fazer loom. The bike cannot have the original wheel driven sensor due to the fitment of an R1 front end.

Thanks for any input here.

Mark

keratos

Re: 3 wire speed sensor
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2014, 07:12:24 pm »
Hi
f you have the OEM sensor then this looks (although I have never disassembled one) like a field modulation device that is converted into a speed measurement. I think you would need to replacement with one tha offers the same characteristics Is the R1 wheel  axle the dame diameter as the FZS as this might suggest the OEM sensor would fit - I'm not a mechanical expert so maybe talking poo here?? From the sensor electrical side, air gaps in the wheel/teeth/sensor also play a part as does operating temperature, the comparator and amplification stages. I dont know if the FZS does all this and how as I've never studied this in detail (taken it all apart and investigated/explored)
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 07:28:37 pm by keratos »

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
Thanks for the response keratos :)

I have solved the issue, I have fitted a FZ1 speedo sensor (identical plug but normally sprocket cover mounted) to look at the rear disc bolts, a little experimentation found that 2mm thick washers under two of the 6 disc mounting bolts results in the speedo reading spot on when checked with GPS. Happy days!

keratos

« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2014, 08:41:49 pm »
good to hear, nice1, did the washers not affect the positioning of the caliper over the disc?

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2014, 01:34:59 pm »
No, the bolts run just inside the inner edge of the caliper, the raised heads just clearing the ally caliper carrier by a mil or so.

DebtMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2016, 10:01:22 am »
Thanks for the response keratos :)

I have solved the issue, I have fitted a FZ1 speedo sensor (identical plug but normally sprocket cover mounted) to look at the rear disc bolts, a little experimentation found that 2mm thick washers under two of the 6 disc mounting bolts results in the speedo reading spot on when checked with GPS. Happy days!

Don't suppose you have any pics of how you mounted the sensor do you?

Cheers
DM 👍

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2018, 01:07:04 am »
any more information pix would be great i have tryed this but to no result so far :( realy dont want to spend £200 on a koso
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2018, 02:35:12 pm »
any more information pix would be great i have tryed this but to no result so far :( realy dont want to spend £200 on a koso

Was about to say "go KOSO", then read your response! :lol

It's the most effective option (UPGRADE) once you go USD / completely naked, as the front headlight fairing + brackets usually come off too?
Don't be tempted by the cheap Chinese copies of the KOSO speedo units. These are very glitchy plus tend to fail prematurely.