Date: 18-04-24  Time: 04:42 am

Author Topic: 4 degree ignition advancer  (Read 34924 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 4 degree ignition advancer
« Reply #25 on: 13 August 2014, 11:09:56 pm »
I can't say I noticed any power increase when I fitted mine, It just seemed to smooth the engine out a little.
Where did i say there was a power increase?

hey Nick, how easy would you say it is to fit? I assume you can take the required engine cover off without losing the engine oil?

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 August 2014, 12:28:40 am »
Yes mate. Simply unbolt the cover, put bike in gear, stand on rear brake and loosen the 14mm? nut. remove plate and replace with advanced plate. Put 14mm nut back on and tighten. Absolute doddle :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2014, 01:21:50 am »
Cheers mate, think I'll fling one on and see what sort of change it makes :)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2014, 10:23:43 am »
I can't say I noticed any power increase when I fitted mine, It just seemed to smooth the engine out a little.
Where did i say there was a power increase?

I haven't said you did, I was just stating my opinion?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2014, 10:36:21 am »
 :thumbup
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2014, 08:45:30 am »
Well I've got one of these on order now. Hopefully it is here before early next week and I can fling it on and see what sort of difference it makes :)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 August 2014, 09:41:45 am »
Well I've got one of these on order now. Hopefully it is here before early next week and I can fling it on and see what sort of difference it makes :)

I think I'll wait until mine is "full monty'd" then see if it makes a visible difference and get it dyno'd too....I take it its easy enough to reverse the process if it doesn't suit.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 August 2014, 09:45:34 am »
I would have thought its just a case of swapping the advanced back over for the OEM one to undo it. I was going to wait till after the full Monty as well, but may as well fling one on now for a few weeks and then see what difference it makes after full Monty is done as well. Are you planning on dyno ing your bike after you have had the full Monty done Bbb?

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 August 2014, 10:20:34 am »
I would have thought its just a case of swapping the advanced back over for the OEM one to undo it. I was going to wait till after the full Monty as well, but may as well fling one on now for a few weeks and then see what difference it makes after full Monty is done as well. Are you planning on dyno ing your bike after you have had the full Monty done Bbb?

Yes, with the "slip on" version its dyno'd at 134bhp at the back wheel and the fueling is pretty much spot on......according to Mike the gains are an additional 5-6bhp over the "slip on" so I should get it to approx. 140bhp........then I'd fit the advancer, road test it and dyno it again.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 August 2014, 04:25:43 pm »
Yes, with the "slip on" version its dyno'd at 134bhp at the back wheel and the fueling is pretty much spot on......according to Mike the gains are an additional 5-6bhp over the "slip on" so I should get it to approx. 140bhp........then I'd fit the advancer, road test it and dyno it again.

The advancer will rob you of a few BHP, if your peak BHP figure is important to you I'd fit it after you have had some runs with the OEM part. As it literally takes minutes to fit maybe you could take the advancer with you to the testing station and get another set of runs done after fitting, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in comparing the results.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2014, 08:39:54 pm by PieEater »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 August 2014, 08:53:59 pm »
Well I got my advancer in this afternoon and popped it on about an hour ago. Initial thoughts are that it has definately smoothed the bottom end of the rev range where I spend most time out. Bike seemed ever so slightly keener to rev. Definately worthwhile for me, as I'm bit fussed about max power or speed and it does seem to give a better ride.

Here's a pic of the panel removed, and of the bolt you need to remove (although if you can't figure that much out, maybe you should get someone else to fit it for you :lol)

and yes... my bloody gasket ripped... had to put some instant gasket on in lieu of a new one coming :(
« Last Edit: 23 August 2014, 09:00:29 pm by mickvp »

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 August 2014, 05:00:51 pm »
I fitted mine this weekend... It didn't make any differance to the starting, but it has made the engine and throttle response so much smoother.
The downside I found is a slight lack of X factor at the lower end... and it doesn't pop and rumble as much when slowing down off the throttle...
I'll live with it for a while (getting out when the weather dries up a bit). I might change it back; however it does make it feel a bit like a brand new bike at the moment... 

AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 September 2014, 02:27:53 pm »

I can't wait to hear about these results. Very interesting

Mickey the moocher, letting others do the work before trying it for himself.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

gixersix

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2014, 03:15:48 am »
I got one but ain't fitted it yet. I note in the DIY version, he resorts to the manual in saying always use a new gasket and Yamabond on the grommet, Wallace.

Obviously, I'd rather have all the bits present when I do this, sooooo.... am I REALLY going to need........

1.) a gasket - isn't this "compartment" dry? Has anyone''s gasket come apart when you opened the case? Re-used the gasket?

2.) Yamabond?
i have heard engine builders swear by this stuff, but really - won't a small smear of silicon gasket do the same job?

Looking forward to your prior experience. And yes, I AM a tightwad  :D
GixerSix -
Z1000SX; FZS1000 Gen1; GSXR600WV SRAD; GPz550A4. TT Addict

gixersix

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2014, 03:23:40 am »
Oh, and I had my bike dynoed before Mike fitted my Full Monty - 124bhp at the rear wheel.

Not had a chance to re-dyno the bike yet, but was thinking that if the advancer might knock a couple of peak horses off, I should have it dynoed BEFORE the advancer goes on.
that way, I'll know what improvement the Full Monty has made. My seat-of-the-pants dyno says definitely more thrust, but I'd like to see it on paper.

As far as the advancer is concerned, I think I'd trade a couple of peak bhp, for a smoother, more responsive bottom end, and above all, easier starting.

After all, how often do we hit peak horsepower on the road (OK, OK, here it comes........  :rolleyes  )

GixerSix -
Z1000SX; FZS1000 Gen1; GSXR600WV SRAD; GPz550A4. TT Addict

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 September 2014, 05:36:42 am »

1.) a gasket - isn't this "compartment" dry? Has anyone''s gasket come apart when you opened the case? Re-used the gasket?

2.) Yamabond?
i have heard engine builders swear by this stuff, but really - won't a small smear of silicon gasket do the same job?

Any change in peak hp is only going to be small, maybe 1 bhp at most and well within the 5% error expectation of a dyno run.  Don't worry about it. :)

Almost dry compartment, hence the gasket. 

Grease the gasket on both sides and it will seal perfectly but come off easily if you want to remove the cover again. ;)

Cheers! :)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 September 2014, 09:54:57 am »
I have a before and after run on the same Dyno, at the time bike was fitted with Quill T3 and Ivans slip on kit. IIRC The 4 degree ignition advancer made between 1 and 4 bhp extra up to 9,000rpm after that it was the same. Most of the gain was between 3,500 and 6,000 rpm, as mentioned easier starting, smoother driving and much nicer two up.

I am home next week I will try to find the Dyno run print out and post it here.

IIRC my figure were.
Stock bike (USA import) with 990 miles, 123.5 bhp
Quill T3 and Ivans slip on kit, fitted by Mike, 129 but with bigger gains in mid range (about a week after first run)
as above but with 4 degree ignition advancer gained extra 4 bhp between 5-6,000 rpm same 129 bhp (same day as above)
Akrapovic Ti race can with ivans MB kit (again fitted by Mike) 136 bhp with gains everywhere and a very smooth power curve. fitted @5,500 miles. (about two years after first run)

All Dyno runs carried out at Millenium Motorcycles (power runs only, no mods) in St Helens.

I have also had Dyno runs carried out at Hammer and Tongs in Warrington and J33 near Lancaster which varied by 4 or 5 bhp from those above.

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 September 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
Is there any visual difference between the stock item and the 4 degree one, lettering, marks etc. Would be good to check it hasn't been done before I order one.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 September 2014, 08:19:44 pm »
the picture I posted few posts back has a picture of an OEM one. the aftermarket ones do not have "denso" on them (I dont know if all OEM ones do though, but its likely they do).

Some of the aftermarked ones have a "4" etched onto them.

onejay

• Weekend Warrior
  • full monty,BMW S1000RR rear shock
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 September 2014, 08:35:36 pm »
just ordered one :)
West Coast Chillin

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 09 September 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
Will have a look to see if mine already has one and if not, may give one a try. May help with the vibe issue as well.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 September 2014, 10:29:26 pm »
I think it's definitely worth it for the small outlay... I don't do much mega spirited riding though, so losing something off the top end is not an issue for me whatsoever.

trpFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 September 2014, 07:36:57 pm »
I have purchased one of these and just taken the cover off to have a go at fitting. I have backed out for tonight as have found the bolt too tight to remove with my small socket set and will have a go with a larger one tomorrow when the light is better. Just a little concerned at the amount of pressure required to free the bolt and the effects on the cam chain turning as I don't want to upset anything. Should I be concerned or just use more force? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Rich

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #48 on: 10 September 2014, 07:45:25 pm »
The gasket split on mine and I just put a smear of gasket sealant on the split bit and it has never leaked, had a new gasket since last xmas and still not got round to fitting it.
Remember silicon is great in the right place but a destruction waiting to happen once excess stringy bits get into oil ways, use very sparingly, better still a non-setting sealant but still sparingly. It's only ptfe tape that stands for 'put the foccer everywhere'! :lol
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 September 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
I have purchased one of these and just taken the cover off to have a go at fitting. I have backed out for tonight as have found the bolt too tight to remove with my small socket set and will have a go with a larger one tomorrow when the light is better. Just a little concerned at the amount of pressure required to free the bolt and the effects on the cam chain turning as I don't want to upset anything. Should I be concerned or just use more force? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I was worried about this as well. I basically ended up putting the bike into gear, standing on the rear braks with my left foot whilst bending over to remove the bolt (ideally if you had someone to sit on the bike and put some force onto the rear brake).

side stand, not centre stand.

Eventually it came loose and Ive had no ill effects after 200 miles.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2014, 08:46:06 pm by mickvp »