Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:35 am

Author Topic: Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games  (Read 2506 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games
« on: 03 August 2014, 11:46:50 pm »
Since the announcement that Glasgow will be the host of the 2014 Commonwealth Games, we have been getting ready to host everyone whom descends upon us. Now that it is all over I reflect on the past couple of weeks fondly and will remember it as an outstanding experience, both in my professional and private life and . There is to much to mention, but here are the highlights...

I watched the opening ceremony on top of the highest building in the city and saw fighter jets fly over Celtic park with Red, White and Blue smoke pouring out whilst everyone stood for God Save the Queen. I will never forget.

I was part of a team of three, who caught two arsonists red handed.

I directed countless tourists to their destination.

I had access all areas to the Perch festival.

I stopped a junkie trying it on with two Brazilian tourists.

I got screwed over by Nigerian internet trolls.

I went to rugby sevens at Ibrox with my beautiful Fiancee (J).

I went to the boxing at the SECC with J.

I had a street argument with a guy that hit my car and drove off. Then another guy joined in... To help him!!!

I went to the athletics at Hampden Park with J.

I got a ticket for riding through a "bus" lane on my way to work.

I worked an event and met the Prime Minister of New Zeland, The Prime Minister of Fiji, The Governor General of Australia and the First Minister of Scotland.

I met several athletes from various nations of the Commonwealth.

I immersed myself in the party we threw for everyone and their maw that came to visit our wee city on the West coast of Scotland.

It has been quite a fortnight and I feel I have done my part as a Glaswegian and a servant to the public. They said people make Glasgow. I feel we have done just that :D

I truly hope everyone had a great time in our city, thank you for coming and safe home.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2014, 11:50:46 pm »
Pictures
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2014, 11:55:07 pm »
Pictures

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2014, 12:02:27 am »
Nice one mate :)

I was at the boxing finals in the Hydro last night. was great apart from getting soaked through in a torrential downpour :lol

Definately has been a good couple of weeks on the whole  :thumbup

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2014, 06:44:22 am »
Good on ya !!

sounds like an expierience of a lifetime
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2014, 08:07:57 am »
Extremely well done all of you up there. Many thanks for a job well done and your attitude doing it. A hard act to follow I am sure. Thanks to all involved.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2014, 08:17:48 am »
Great fortnight well done Glasgow, well done Scotland.
My favourite memory will be the wee lassie from Shetland winning her swimming  Bronze medal, think she was only 13. The expression on her wee face was just magic.
Many great memories of the games but that one just said to me I cannot believe what I have just done.
lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2014, 12:59:08 pm »
well done mate, great City and Great people
fire never sleeps

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2014, 07:30:58 pm »
I got back home from Glasgow a couple of hours ago after being there on and off since July 12th.  I've been working a 4 days on, 2 days off shift pattern so have clocked up just over 2,700 miles in the last 3 weeks, although not on the bike but in my car.  I've been working with the broadcasters so had Infinity passes to get me everywhere but hardly had time to watch any of the games themselves.  I was at Celtic Park in the pouring rain on the Saturday for the first rehearsal of the opening ceremony and thought it was dire.  I was there again for the real thing and couldn't believe I was watching the same show!  Absolutely brilliant!  I've spent the time learning my way around, I now know the number 2 bus route like the back of my hand and was trapped inside the cycle road race course yesterday (as we were staying at the Novotel on Pitt Street).  I still haven't worked out why they gave the medal to the guy on a pushbike when anyone watching could see that the winner was the motorcycle copper and the bloke on a BMW with a cameraman on the back came second?

The last time I went to Glasgow was about 20 years ago when I did a training course at the Marine College (The Glasgow College of Nautical Studies as it was called then) on Gorbals Road.  When we got there we were told there were only 2 rules.  When going out in the evening do not turn right and once we had obeyed rule 1, do not go out on our own.  There was about 10 of us on the course and we would go out in the evening as a group, walk to the nearest pub, have a few beers and walk back as a group.  I never saw any of the City itself.  After the last 3 weeks I can only say that when they say People make Glasgow, they are absolutely right.  Everyone we met was friendly, willing to chat and so helpful it was untrue.  I feel like an honorary Glaswegian having been make so welcome by everyone.  You can be proud of the City, the people and the organisation.  Despite the errm, changeable, weather, I may even be going back later this month and hope that nothing has changed.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2014, 07:59:23 pm »
Rusty, you will find that the people are just the same next week as they were last. I am glad you enjoyed your experience. It would seem you are not alone  :) .

And if you are here on yer bike before I go on tour (22nd) I can show you some good local roads.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2014, 08:38:54 pm »
I watched the opening ceremony on top of the highest building in the city and saw fighter jets fly over Celtic park with Red, White and Blue smoke pouring out whilst everyone stood for God Save the Queen. I will never forget.

You'd have thought they would have dropped the red.   :eek

When we got there we were told there were only 2 rules.  When going out in the evening do not turn right and once we had obeyed rule 1, do not go out on our own.

One thing that'll never ever stop in Glasgow is folks pullin yer leg.

The only thing I fancied seeing was the road race, but I was stuck at work.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
One thing that'll never ever stop in Glasgow is folks pullin yer leg.
That was 20 odd years ago when the Gorbals was, allegedly, a no-go area even for the locals.

I was on Glasgow Green during the time trials (forget what day, they've all merged into one!) and seeing how cautious the riders were going over the shiny paved areas around the Peoples Palace, I hate to imagine what it was like for the road race in the torrential rain.  I watched quite a bit while having my lunch in Subway on Sauchiehall Street (as it was just around the corner from my hotel) before heading off the Hampden for the closing ceremony.

I'm not really into any form of sport that doesn't involve an internal combustion engine and don't do walking (that's what the internal combustion engine is for), don't do hills (as I'm from Cambridgeshire where we don't have any), don't do public transport and don't like getting wet.  As I walked bloody miles, up and down some ridiculously steep hills, travelled everywhere by either number 2 bus or the media shuttles and got absolutely soaked more times than I care to remember, I still can't understand why I enjoyed myself so much.  There definitely is something special about Glasgow.

I did see a black Boxeye Fazer parked by Blythswood Square a couple of days ago.  Anyone we know?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2014, 10:47:08 pm »
That was 20 odd years ago when the Gorbals was, allegedly, a no-go area even for the locals.

That's what I was thinking, 20 plus years ago I was having night after night out in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
I mean if you are lookin for trouble you'll find it.
Yup from every wee toon tae every city you'll find areas you might not wanna be hanging aboot too long for on a dark night.

And spare a thought for some of the refugees living in Glasgow and other cities for that matter, surviving in the toughest areas.

I love cycling, just wish I could do it.  It's the only form of transport better than a motorcycle.  And cycle racing, well you gotta be hard as nails to do a city race.  Eeek and in that rain.  I do hope the city council did fix all the hazards!

Anyway as for dodgy areas.  Well walking about one dodgy area in Glasgow with an expensive camera roond ma neck probably wasn't too clever.  But I was only walking from one safe venue to another.

This fella wanted ma camera;

Hey big man I'll take yer photae fae ye.  I snapped him as he approached.

Umm aye right I thought.  His mates were standing across the street, so yeah ahm shittin it.  But you cannae let that show, and no way was I loosing an EOS 3 with my 16-35L f2.8 on the end of it.  So a tug of war ensued, him trying to pull the camera off me, with me trying to persuade the young man that I take the photos not him;

Look pal ahm the photograher - right - ah take the photaes - right - that's ma job - ken -  that's whit ah do ken?  Ahm nae interestit in huvin ma photae taken - ken whit a mean pal?  So how's about a take ah wee snap of you wi yer mates.  Eh?  Hows aboot that - ken?

So;

Only in Glasgow.

Thank foc ah didnae loose ma gear.  I'd a bag full of the stuff hanging roond ma neck. 
« Last Edit: 04 August 2014, 10:49:06 pm by VNA »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2014, 12:35:07 am »
You did good VNA. There is a way of dealing with these kids, and as you walked away with your kit, I'd say you more or less got it. I grew up in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Glasgow called Drumchapel, known locally as "the drum". It was, and still is, a scary place if you are a stranger. But there are good people there too. Kind, hard working people with not a pot to piss in or a windae to throw it out of. But they would not see someone go without if they had something to share.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2014, 04:39:25 pm »
a scary place if you are a stranger. But there are good people there too. Kind, hard working people with not a pot to piss in or a windae to throw it out of. But they would not see someone go without if they had something to share.

you could be talking about Liverpool there
Glasgee an Liverpool, two great cities built on great rivers with ship building at their roots, the only difference in the people is the accents
I done the 3 peaks in 97, went out on Sauchiaul street for a bevvy on me own, foccing shiitin it :lol
got a bag o chips at the end o the night and the locals decided to eat some too.......a quick look around saw the same thing going on so they are either  all chip muggers or everyone just shares their chips at the end of the night................good times ;)
VNA....pmsl :lol

I don't want to hijack a thread but anyone go to see the Giants in Liverpool, the BBC have a programme on it tonight at 7 30 try and catch it
fire never sleeps

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2014, 10:03:13 pm »
You did good VNA. There is a way of dealing with these kids, and as you walked away with your kit, I'd say you more or less got it. I grew up in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Glasgow called Drumchapel, known locally as "the drum". It was, and still is, a scary place if you are a stranger. But there are good people there too. Kind, hard working people with not a pot to piss in or a windae to throw it out of. But they would not see someone go without if they had something to share.

A bit of luck as well I think.  I didn't make that mistake again.

Those two snaps were taken on Lincoln Avenue.   Was covering the 'Kingslink International Festival', I think that was 2008.  A pal of mine teaches at Drumchapel High.   It was the folks living in the high-rises that stopped the Home Office carrying out their dawn raids on refugee families.  You might have heard of The Glasgow Girls - the Drumchapel High School lassies that took on the government over the behaviour of The Home Office. 

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2014, 12:50:25 pm »
not as scary as Maryhill....................makes Beirut look good
fire never sleeps

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2014, 03:36:35 pm »
Thank Foc it's all over--too much over the top commentary by all at the BBC--again. :pc