Date: 18-04-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Author Topic: No Spark!  (Read 1304 times)

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
No Spark!
« on: 30 July 2014, 12:00:31 pm »
Hi,
So a bit of back story, I came home from Belgium about 2 weeks ago, in some god awful rain. Bike started and everything really well and was good.

I went to start it on Sunday and it wouldn't start, the fuel pump clicked away the engine turned over well, but it wouldn't catch. This was using my usual method of a bit of choke and no throttle.
I tried several different ways, part throttle no choke, full choke full throttle etc etc. It wasn't long before the battery started dying.

I got to work and text my brother at home who went out and it started on the choke straight away, reacted to the throttle revved etc then cut out when he took the choke off.

I went to start it yesterday and same thing happened, no starting, nothing. I put the battery on charge over night and that's all fine. There was a strong smell of petrol from the exhaust.

Today I took the plugs out, they were all really covered in petrol. After cleaning them off I connected different plugs to various caps and none of them would spark against the engine.

Ohm tests on all the caps and coils all come good.

I've got a datatool alarm which I've never had any problems with (professionally fitted before I got it, 4 years ago) and that still works in as far as the alarm, but I'm unsure what the immobiliser would do if it was broken, stop the engine turning over or stop it sparking?

So searching here suggests trimming the HT leads but would people be more expecting the alarm?

And would that be the problem when it all stopped working at once, worked after that and hasn't worked since?

thanks for looking!

Tom

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: No Spark!
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2014, 12:58:48 pm »
Hi,
answer for anybody else with similar problem:

got the bike back from garage yesterday, they couldn't identify the exact fault, but took the alarm off and it works fine now no problem :)

They also mentioned it may have been the pick up coil and to keep an eye on it, apparently a problem for older yamahas?

Thanks

Tom

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2014, 02:50:18 pm »
There are a few plugs underneath the seat for connecting the alarm circuitry. Ignition and starter are disabled if the shorts are not closed. In your case those are controled by the alarm box. Sounds as your alarm box or its cabling are faulty.

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2014, 03:18:49 pm »
Hi Tom. My gen 1 thou has been playing up for several months; starting issues and the engine cutting out at speed...

I checked and changed virtually everything before having the Datatool alarm removed the other month. This solved the issues for a while...

But recently my starting nemesis reared its head again!!! The pickup coil you mentioned is somthing I've not investigated...

Cheers for the pointer Tom, I'll let you know how I get on... I'll also check the wiring again, cheers Chris...

Jase ;-)

« Last Edit: 29 August 2014, 03:26:57 pm by fazer390 »
AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...