Date: 23-04-24  Time: 19:41 pm

Author Topic: Fitting Koso DB01r to FZS600 5DM1? Done it? Issues?  (Read 8461 times)

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Fitting Koso DB01r to FZS600 5DM1? Done it? Issues?
« on: 29 July 2014, 07:06:25 pm »
Strongly considering this speedo for my bike. Wondering if anyone has fitted one and can offer advice etc? Is it pretty easy?

nsw1982

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Koso DB01r to FZS600 5DM1? Done it? Issues?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2015, 12:32:51 pm »
It's probably a bit late now, but I decided to fit one of these to my bike couple of months ago. It all stemmed from wanting to replace the front fairing and bars...fitted some renthal bars and twin headlights, which left me with nowhere to put the speedo without making a custom mount....so bought the Koso DB01r and set about trying to figure out the wiring - months of trial and error and a lot of internet searching and I finally got it sorted this weekend....it's pretty straight forward as long as you've got the wiring.

A lot of forums mention that the bike doesn't run correctly with this fitted, but now mine is up and running it seems to be working exactly as before (fingers crossed it carries on this way).

Anyway, as there was nowhere that seemed to give me a definitive list of which wires go where, thought I'd at least document somewhere what I did:

FZS600 >> Koso

Brown >> Red   (12v Live)
[/size]Black >> Black   (ground)
Dark Green >> Blue   (right turn signal)
Dark Brown >> Orange   (left turn signal)
Light Blue >> White   (neutral light)
[/size]Black/Red >> Grey   (oil light)
Green >> Green   (fuel level)
Black/yellow >> Brown   (RPM wire)

For the speedo:
White >> Brown/White   (speed signal wire)
Blue/Yellow >> Red/White   (5v for speed sensor)
Black wire from speed sensor >> green/white   (earth for speed sensor)

The only problem I do seem to have is the Neutral light is a bit temperamental, but I'm hoping this is just a loose connection.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2015, 12:45:02 pm »
Glad to hear you got it up and running.

Far as i'm aware, the potential running issue is down to one wire not returning a signal to the ECU, but only in some cases, it seems (MAY be the ground (black 10))

I've still got this diagram for the wiring i made after consulting the Fazer workshop manual, a LOT of googling and also the Koso manuals. May be of some use to either yourself, or anyone else who lands here after searching on google.

Other than that; I intended to make the change reversible by adding connectors or a wiring block between the loom and the Koso wiring. Never did do the mod, but at least some of the ground-work may be useful to others.

...Though i'm thinking of doing similar to my VFR at some point ;)
« Last Edit: 02 August 2015, 12:47:33 pm by helloindustries »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2015, 05:08:59 pm »
I fitted one to my old R1, it was a great bit of kit. I used a second set of multi plugs to make it plug and play or reversible. It was a bit of faffing about, but worth it in the end.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!