Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:22 am

Author Topic: Email probs (POP3)  (Read 2062 times)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Email probs (POP3)
« on: 23 July 2014, 11:08:04 am »
One for the techies and the Foccer font of knowledge.

Having probs with my email since moving over to BT.

I have a POP3 account/URL with personal email adrianbarnard AT trackart DOT co DOT uk.

First of all I was not able to send mail because outgoing SMTP was set up for talktalk but I could receive mail. Spoke to very helpful technical bod at BT who talked me through set up for BT... Sorted or so I thought.

Now I can send but incoming mail is throwing up this message most of the time (see below). It looks like AGV email anti virus is scanning mail but I don't get mail. If restart my laptop I will then sometimes get mail, or they may take a hole day and then they sometimes come through without restarting. Tried speaking to BT again, several times, some say incoming settings are ok and others who I can barely understand don't seem to have a clue.

Error message reads:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.hostedemail.com', Server: 'mail.hostedemail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 230346 octets', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Other error message that pops up from the bottom of the screen reads:

AGV email scanner unable to receive because content is unknown. See online help

I've checked on UK2.net and Hosted mail if there are any server problems.

AGV email anti virus help pointed me here:

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/faq.num-4447

Will these settings work with BT or will I get my knickers in a twist even further?

Is there anybody out there who can help or even understand what this jargon is or what's going on?

Cheers AD

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Email probs (POP3)
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 01:33:57 pm »
A bit of guesswork involved here but it seems that the AVG issue is a result of the POP3 account not connecting - AVG is complaining that it can't read the message, which makes sense if you aren't receiving any emails

From what I can gather, you have a domain that is registered with UK2. The site itself looks like a redirect to Photobucket, or some sort of hosted site on UK2 which pulls in a Photobucket interface. Is your email actually hosted by UK2 or by someone else? I can't find much information on hostedemail.com

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2014, 02:37:18 pm »
The domain name I have is with UK2 and the mail side is by mail.hostedemail.com. Don't know what the Photobucket thing is about appart from the fact I have an account with them... Nothing to do with email though.

Since writing the original post this morning I've had 15+ emails turn up so looks like they are getting through eventually. just a bit frustrating as I've just sent mail and received another four emails without a problem.

A glitch in the Matrix perhaps  :wall
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2014, 02:49:20 pm »
Well you have recently moved backwards in time Ad  :lol
Its just a ride

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2014, 04:14:20 pm »
Well you have recently moved backwards in time Ad  :lol

The only backwards step is that I now live in a tiny village in the middle of the countryside with one small shop and a pub. I cook on an Aga that runs on LPG but does have a fan assisted oven. My heating is now via wood burner and kerosine, and the only people that would give me broadband and a tel line was BT. I still need to build a garage to put my bikes in, most of which are scattered to the four corners of England being looked after by friends, and on the school run with my daughter we get a few cars going up and down the road, and that's on a busy.

However my Fazer is parked on the patio and it's my birthday tomorrow so.... I'll be out for the day  :)

Apart from that, and sorting out boxes, unpacking boxes, building the odd wendy house, a bit of DIY and sorting out my email I'm living the life of Riley.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2014, 04:48:17 pm »
glad to see your all in and sorted and happy birthday for tomorrow :thumbup

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2014, 11:01:29 am »
Cheers Kitcrazy.

Got a fist full of emails last night. Then I couldn't get any mail up until 5 minutes ago... then just now got a few more.

What can I do?

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2014, 11:21:10 am »
Get on to BT.  They've recently changed from BTYahoo mail to BT Mail and some of the settings are different.  I also use BT and Outlook Express (aka Windows Mail) to download from the servo to my computer rather than webmail.  The only time I have problems is if I'm connected via a different ISP (such as when I'm in a hotel or at my mates place in France) but that usually affects sending.  I get a similar message to you and sometimes I can't send emails with attachments, sometimes can't send any.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2014, 01:03:44 pm »
Cheers for the heads up Rustyrider

Outgoing SMTP is set at mail.btinternet.com. But I'm not having a problem sending even with attachments.

So far since my last post my mail has been coming through thick and fast without a problem.

Any other ideas or input greatly accepted as I think the problem will persist on and off.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2014, 11:27:09 am »
Not sure but if IMRC when I went over to BT a few years ago they told me it could (for some reason) take a few days for everything to settle down and get up to speed. So if you have recently gone on to BT that could be the problem.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
Don't forget that sending (SMTP) and receiving (POP3) are entirely different processes. Sending is facilitated by whoever is your internet provider (BT?) on behalf of whoever holds you email accounts. It doesn't matter who that is (or they are), or whether they are actually working. All the server/password etc settings will relate to BT. To receive, BT will need to connect to the server that is actually holding your email accounts, which may well be another provider(s) altogether. That's where ist's going wrong. One of the settings in your POP3 email account isn't right (server, password, type etc etc). No need to look at SMTP or even blame BT. (No I don't work for BT  :) )

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2014, 12:09:31 pm »
Beginning to think the problem lies with AVG settings. Had trouble again getting mail this morning. AVG software seems to be scanning emails so it must be getting them then it throws up the error message and I get no mail. If I restart my laptop AGV scans mail and I then get the messages.

Anyone here have a POP3, using BT and running AVG anti-virus software that can shed any light on the subject about why I get mail after I restart my laptop?