Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: Traffic film remover  (Read 1643 times)

Fizzy Pies

Traffic film remover
« on: 23 July 2014, 09:34:05 am »
Is this good stuff for washing the bike with?

Was thinking of getting some and one of those hand pump pressure bottle things that's all

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic film remover
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 10:00:20 am »
I've tried loads of these products and they're all much the same.

I just use car shampoo now and get loads when it's on special in halfords etc.

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2014, 10:59:44 am »
Found TFR far too strong wouldnt use it on my black paintwork someimes can stain/bleach it. I just use that muck off stuff and find it great.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2014, 07:27:21 pm »
It was this stuff I was looking at due to it being non caustic, my take ok that was it shouldnt attack the aluminum but I don't know what it will do to seals etc.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181468957842&alt=web

careful fella... I know a lot of people use the word "caustic" to refer to something acidic. However, in chemical terms (and this is a trick many chemicals companies use to tout their products) Caustic refers to a product being Alkaline while it is in its active state. So although that prodct is referred to as "non-caustic", you will probably find that when it is active, it is instead highly acidic, and just as damaging to paint.

I would never advocate using TFR, especially not regularly (unless you are heavily diluting it).

Your best bet is to clean the bike with a good quality shampoo, remove any surface contamination (with either a fallout remover/tar remover/clay bar/ clay cloth), polish the painted surfaces thoroughly with a good quality polish and applicator (Autoglym Super Resin Polish, for example), then protect your paintwork with a wax or a sealant. If you get it to this stage, you will find that you only needthe mildest of cleaners to remove dirt, as the sealant will stop the dirt from latching onto the bike. it sounds like a lot of work (and it is), but you only need to do it once, and then its just a matter of keeping on top of it regularly.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2014, 07:02:43 am »
We used TFR (bought in bulk) to use in a diesel powered jet washer to clean vans & trucks. It had to be diluted in the ratio 1:25 with water BUT over time it caused surface scratching & paint fade!
I dont even use products like Muc-Off. Just a good proprietary vehicle shampoo. As mickvp says then its a matter of  polishing/sealing the paintwork making future cleaning much easier.
Personally, I would never use a jet washer on a bike/car as its all too easy to cause damage to paint/electrics/sealed bearings etc.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
I use a kitten dipped in babies tears myself  :lol
Its just a ride

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2014, 12:06:58 am »
So do I, as it happens Ralph ;) :

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2014, 11:50:04 am »
A few years ago we had some TFR in the pressure washer at work.
I used it once to clean my car when it was really filthy. Afterwards I really struggled to apply the polish, it just dragged. It was even worse trying to buff it off, i just couldn't get a decent finish. Never again.