Date: 07-05-24  Time: 05:52 am

Author Topic: Need help diagnosing a problem please  (Read 1028 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Need help diagnosing a problem please
« on: 27 June 2014, 11:18:00 pm »
Hi guys, this is for an SV 650 hence why it is in the general. On Monday I am going to wales with my Dad on our bikes and his has in my opinion quite an annoying issue that will definitely detract from the trip for him. I told him a while back his rear tyre looks square and he has recently said he started to notice when cornering. He doesn't ride that often anymore and often when he does it is short journeys. He has bought a new one which arrived yesterday, but last time he replaced the tyre there was corrosion found in the beading on the wheel which the mechanic said would need to be looked at next tyre change. He is worried that getting this seen to and replaced could make the new tyre not sit properly and at worst it could lose pressure / blow due to the beading damage. So, he is going to keep the old fairly squared tyre on for the wales trip.

I had a go on it tonight to see what it feels like because it is one thing him explaining it and actually feeling for myself. It is noticeable, but not so bad. I discovered a separate issue however which is far worse in my opinion. The whole bike was juddering uncontrollably even in a straight line and even with the clutch pulled in. Its more noticeable at speed, he can't ride hundreds of miles like that never mind a square tyre. His wheel weight fell off recently, but he found it in the shed and glued it back on where it was originally. Surely it can't be that? It is a really quite noticeable judder, not a vibration a big judder. I am thinking possibly wheel bearings? I have ridden it before and it never felt like this and it has happened at a really unfortunate time. Any help greatly appreciated!

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Need help diagnosing a problem please
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2014, 11:29:25 pm »
I might be stating the obvious which to be fair I am quite good at,  but,, I wouldn't set off knowing there are problems. I'd fit the new tyre balance the wheel and then try it again. Best of luck.
Andy

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2014, 11:41:25 pm »
This is what I said regarding his tyre being square, but he then said about the wheel corrosion and that there is a possibility it is too tricky to repair and he would need a second hand wheel by Monday. This has for some reason all been left last minute, something he is not known for so it is quite a strange predicament. The accommodation etc is all booked so we can't exactly bail now but I am worried his bike is dodgy. I'm not even worried so much about the squaring of the tyre, he can just take it easy we aren't racing about anyway it is the juddering I discovered tonight that is really worrying me, he had probably just got used to it, not sure how he could have missed that though...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2014, 07:27:43 am »
There are several possible causes of the juddering/vibration.
If it was me Id rule out tyre/wheel balancing issues first. When you say wheel corrosion- is this bad enough preventing sealing of the tyre bead to rim-ie is the tyre losing air or holding pressure?
Next up Id be checking wheel bearings,head bearings,wheel alignment.
Then looking at engine mounts/bolts/bushes etc.
Personally I would put the new tyre on-since you know the old one is squared off which will affect ride quality & if the wheel corrosion is advanced to the stage where it prevents proper seating/sealing then its probably unsafe to use anyway. However if its superficial then it may be treatable. Your wheel/tyre fitter will know.
IMO safety/mechanical integrity overrides any other consideration and to ride with a known defect is going to take away any riding enjoyment for both of you !
Hope its something simple that can be put right before Monday. Good luck!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2014, 01:26:16 pm »
Corrosion - Fine sand paper and a squirt of WD40 will fix that once the old tyre is off.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2014, 02:16:19 pm »
Good news! I persuaded him to go and get it changed, the mechanic said the corrosion wasn't even that bad so has fixed that and then fitted his new tyre. He rode it today and it is 100% better, nicely scrubbed in now too ready for our trip tomorrow.  :)