Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:14 am

Author Topic: Greeting and instant help !  (Read 1208 times)

Voralaff

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Greeting and instant help !
« on: 15 January 2012, 02:14:22 pm »
HI   :o

I am John from Hampshire and have joined as my Mrs has not been on her 2002 600 for about a year.  I decided to try and start it for her today, the first time in months and although the battery is great it just turned over and over until I smelt fuel.  I then noticed fuel pouring from a carb overflow tube. 

After a bit of tinkering (effectively achieving nothing) and taking the bike out of the garage into the sun that is blazing down today, the bike eventually turned over but ran like a dog with one leg, however the fuel was now not pouring from the Carbs.  I constantly needed choke (although turned down to half after a while) and needed to keep revs to about 4k in order to keep it running

My guess is that the fuel is old and dirt / crap is in the lines, or carbs or perhaps sticky float (perhaps all of these)

I am just looking for any basic advice or something I may have missed before I either attempt to have a go myself or suggest that "she who must be obeyed" firstly gets a garage to sort it out and secondly gets her arris on the bike more often.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

J

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Re: Greeting and instant help !
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2012, 03:18:46 pm »
hey! welcome!

im not much of an expert only learning myself but recently i had a similar problem, couldnt get it to turn over after a month of standing even though the battery had been on full charge...
I found that the Petrol had just gone a bit "pffffft" and didnt want to do anything, after leaving it on the choke and running a while i took it for a quick spin and got some fresh fuel but put the more expensive stuff in?

Seems to have done the trick for now so it might be something to try?!?!?!?!

Ride It Like You've Stole It

Voralaff

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2012, 03:21:27 pm »
Thanks,

That is what I am starting to think now.

Update,

Managed to keep it running for a while and without choke but had to keep throttle at about 2-3k revs just to keep it running.  Still running rough as hell and it clearly is not as responsive as this nippy engine should be.  Also on a constant throttle it has irregular revs and fluctuates by about 1k revs .

My guess is still fuel or crap in the system.

Any thoughts on a fuel supplement to try and clean everything through.

J

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2012, 01:04:08 pm »
Hi
Have had close contact with the local Yamaha shop for a number of years collecting bikes for them to take to the workshop. This time of year brings many with the problems you encountered. Drain all the fuel, tank and carbs. Make sure battery is fully charged. Refill with 95 unleaded (anything else is a waste of money), turn on ignition and wait for the petrol pump to fill. Proceed with the  starting procedure thus: full choke, press starter button for only a few seconds at a time and do not use throttle until it starts to run. Good Luck. Let me know the result.
Mike
Mike Lockyer