Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:01 pm

Author Topic: [Fixed] Will not rev past 8k  (Read 14295 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Will not rev past 8k.
« Reply #50 on: 20 July 2014, 08:52:59 pm »
Does it run okay around the 2 to 3000rpm mark, or is it a bit jerky at all with plenty of clutch control needed?

It runs okay. Are you referring to the 8k issue? That's been solved. I should edit the title of the thread.

I have wrapped the "holy" water pump outlet hose in the two part "haris pipe and hose repair tape". It was horrible to do it as there was very little room behind that pipe, and I suspect if it would actually contain the leak. I haven't started it, just in case if this self-amalgamating tape thingee needs time to set. Will see how it's in the morning. Does anyone here have one of these yokes lying around, perhaps from upgrading to fancy kit?

Ignore me, i was reading earlier about the bike cutting out but can see you got it sorted.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Will not rev past 8k.
« Reply #51 on: 20 July 2014, 11:20:00 pm »
but you gotta stop foccing things up....

Okay. Done.

No, I give up - it's too hard. I was born this way it seems.

Thank you for the offer, you are very kind. Postage might be an issue for swing arm. And this is the water hose thingee picture, it's on the left side of the bike.

I am meeting someone who is taking apart a crashed fallen Fazer for a main stand, I will see if he has this yoke. If not I might just take you up on that offer.

daarsi, thanks, it seems to be running fine at 2-3k speeds, I am yet to have a good long run after setting the correct idle speed, but I might not have that pleasure for a while if my band-aid work doesn't stop the coolant leak. Thanks again.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: [Fixed] Will not rev past 8k
« Reply #52 on: 20 July 2014, 11:40:55 pm »
Ok sorry but cant be arsed to read everything but saw sum pictures of old and new filters so here is --- was mine after 15years on the bike and 15k miles against a new oem one and I saw no difference in the bike after fitting

« Last Edit: 20 July 2014, 11:42:28 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 July 2014, 01:41:22 am »
Have you checked where the pipe is leaking from? It might have just moved from the fall rather than split. If you want to get new Yamaha parts use this parts manual http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=13 Danfay are the main Yamaha parts dealer in Dublin. If you call them up and quote the parts number they'll give you a price.

Danfay Ltd
61 Sallynoggin rd Co. Dublin
Phone: (01)2859177

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 July 2014, 06:12:07 am »
Ok sorry but cant be arsed to read everything but saw sum pictures of old and new filters so here is --- was mine after 15years on the bike and 15k miles against a new oem one and I saw no difference in the bike after fitting

If you'd taken the time to have a little read you'd realise the reason he can feel a difference is because he's swapped an original for a K&N, which has a greater air flow in comparison.
All you've done is swap the same one for a newer one so, although you were rather late doing it, you wouldn't have noticed too much of a difference.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21 July 2014, 07:52:34 am »
Positron-I am reading the continuing saga/drama of this thread and ,without meaning to patronise you, you remind me very much of the way I was as a youngster(I was once!).
Salient points;
You need your bike on the road to commute(presumably to work?)
You dont have a lot of time/knowledge/many tools
You say youre heavy handed with limited attention span.

As "noggy" says....Slow down,take a deep breath.
We all need help from others-hence this fantastic forum with all the knowledge it has to offer (often gained by bitter experience!)

Thoughts for consideration:
I suggest you must have some attention span in order to ride a bike/pass a test-Dont sell yourself short!
Have you got any friends with bike knowledge local to you?
Do you have a copy of the manual for your bike(download from forum)/Haynes manual?
Looks like you are trying to do all the service/maintenance jobs but while trying to save money/learn about your bike-you are maybe rushing at things which is causing you unnecessary pain/expense.
Slowly build up a kit of tools that you will actually use-as "unfazed" says-you will only need certain sizes of sockets/spanners.
Dont start a job that you cant finish before needing bike to ride again-sounds obvious but talking from experience.
For safety critical jobs like brakes if you dont have the knowledge yet-get a wise friend or a trusty dealer.

its taken some of us years to learn how to do things without "foccing" them up & sometimes I still do!
Above all relax & "Give Time Time "
Good luck :lol

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 July 2014, 11:30:26 am »
fazersharp, thank you for a side by side photos of the old and new filters. It will certaintly anyone in future googling to learn and DIY.

His Dudeness, yes, can see a half a centimeter split/hole just about a centimeter below where it clamps onto the metal pipe going to the radiator. Thanks for the link, I think I have found the part numbers (from page 7), and it's called "hose 6"

07 90467-26189-00  Clip
08 90450-32051-00  Hose Clamp Assy
11 4YR-12589-00-00 Hose 6

Didn't know Danfay was the main dealers, and they are in Sallynoggin which is just 15 mins from my work address. Brilliant stuff!

Meanwhile, the guy breaking a Fazer has confirmed he has both the chain adjusters and the 'bottom water hose' as he calls it, so I might pick it up later today.

Dave48, thank you kind sir, this forum has already demistified the bike for me in so many levels, but you are right there is so much more to learn before I ruin the bike or put myself in danger. Having said that, now that I am in the semi-deep end of it, I might as well try and change this hose tonight and flush the coolant while at it.. :D :D

Will keep you all posted!

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 July 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
Posi, i'm in Lucan and have the same bike, most tools needed, a haynes manual, a small bit of experience working on my bike, plenty of patience, and as of right now a broken finger that won't heal right.

I'm out of work for the next few weeks (and the past seven  :eek ) - you are more than welcome to drop over and I can provide another pair of hands & eyes and help out if I can!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 July 2014, 05:48:20 pm »

Right then positron.........which hose do you need.

Middle

Or

Bottom????
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 July 2014, 07:16:32 pm »
Also posi here's a centre stand for sale: http://www.adverts.ie/parts/yamaha-fazer-600-centre-stand/5914281

Nevermind! I see in his ad for breaking the whole bike you have agreed to buy this from him!  :lol
« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 07:21:53 pm by redthunder »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 21 July 2014, 07:58:26 pm »
Noggy

If he is not sure, it is the one in the centre of you picture he requires.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 July 2014, 08:19:49 pm »
Redthunder, thank you so much, that's so kind of you. I might take you up on that when things really go pear shape... :) That's the same main stand guy I was referring to. Collected the stand today, its a bit rusty, but I might try painting it a bit. Chain adjusters were rusty too, hopefully they will free up with some wd40. He turned up with the wrong hose, and later confirmed he had discarded the one I am after as it was damaged.

Noggy, thank you again and unfazed is right (as usual), its the one in the middle that I am after. They look so clean in your photo. Also are you into photography as well, because your photos are very well lit (from an able rather that straight up flash) and it shows all sorts of details that otherwise would be lost.. Anyway, thanks again, you have my address, post away at whatever postage, I will PayPal you straight away.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28 July 2014, 10:11:01 pm »
Update: Thanks Noggy, the hose arrived today (minimalist hassle free packaging would put amazon to shame) and it went onto the bike this evening. It fits perfect (as it should) and the whole job was a lot easier than I thought it would be (assuming I did it right,  big assumption of course.. :D ).

I had taken the bike to work earlier today, so over 140 kms I had sprayed two counties with my poisonous coolant, and trying to drain the rest of the old green coolant, I was expecting this toxic but "sweet tasting liquid that attracts children and pets" to come out, and out came vile greenish brown liquid that smelled almost like some dehydrated cow's urine! Seriously. And oh yeah... it was supposed to have been changed in Feb. Well I paid for it...! I didn't have any flushing agent, so I went ahead and stuck the hose in via the radiator filler and flushed all the much out for a few minutes. But I couldn't figure out how to drain the 'overflow tank' on the side of the bike. Manual says disconnect the coolant pipe near the radiator filler and drain the 'overflow tank'. But how? That pipe, as far as I can tell, snakes thru the frame and comes into the top of the 'overflow tank'. I obviously missed some detail somewhere. In the end I McGyver'ed it and siphoned everything from the overflow tank using a small tube.

Refilled with an OAT coolant concentrate I bought from Halfords - Comma G30 Glysantin something something, mixed with the freshest Irish council water at 50:50. I was expected this to be Orange, but it turned out to be pink, but my 3 year old loved it. I hope it's the right one, if not, it's easy enough to drain and refill anyway.

One down, many more to go (namely, replacing broken chain adjuster, new chain and sprockets, oil & filter, front brake pads, speedo and oh yeah, after finishing up today I noticed the headlights are not coming on anymore. Which is strange because till I parked up this evening I couldn't turn off the headlights if I wanted to.. It's all or nothing as usual).

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28 July 2014, 10:35:17 pm »

Glad you got the hose buddy....eventually....the weekend didn't help.

I was laughed at by the post office lady about that packaging......I just looked at it and thought to myself "noggy...this is an old hose that has been lying at the back of the shed for over a year....it is made of reinforced rubber and has stood up to 15k miles of the best of British.....so lets not shame it by wrapping it in cotton wool and bubble wrap".....and then on went the address label....straight onto the hose :lol

ref the coolant reservoir...I had the same issue...I was determined so I got this sooker upper thingy from my local motor factors.....a cylinder with a handled piston and a plastic tube....not quite designed for getting out very liquid coolant but if I pumped it quick enough I could get enough in each to time to drain it out in a few goes.

anyway...glad you're getting somewhere with the bike. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28 July 2014, 10:51:55 pm »
"sooker upper" would have been handy. I took a tube thingee that you find in any household cleaning spray, one end in the reservoir, the other dangling over, one careful suck and then it was over to gravity. I did kick over the anti-bacterial surface cleaner, but oh well..

The minimalist packaging:

Stuff that came out of the bike with the old coolant:

I hope these photos are visible for the rest of you (not sure if static urls to google photos would actually work).

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 July 2014, 10:58:43 pm »
Also new bike in the stable. Three year old's first bike and she's chuffed to bits. Already stealing my tools to fix it.