Date: 24-04-24  Time: 04:33 am

Author Topic: how to begin?  (Read 3062 times)

Alexander

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
how to begin?
« on: 10 April 2015, 11:33:45 am »
02 Fazer bought last week, said a quick hello over on the introduction page and was asked what I'm going to do too it now.[/size]So any suggestions for things that are a must to be checked/ replaced etc.Downpipes seem like a must,  eventually.

(and yes i did accidentally post this in the wrong forum first :o )

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Re: how to begin?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2015, 11:58:55 am »

02 Fazer bought last week, said a quick hello over on the introduction page and was asked what I'm going to do too it now.
So any suggestions for things that are a must to be checked/ replaced etc.Downpipes seem like a must,  eventually.

(and yes i did accidentally post this in the wrong forum first :o )

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2015, 01:10:08 pm »
Ride it  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2015, 02:00:17 pm »
i did my license in 2005 and did not actually get a bike until this January....was a Fazer 2001 600cc ( currently in bits due to me messing with exhaust studs, cylinder head is now at the local engine show getting new holes drilled and tapped...be really careful! )

i made sure that i did a full check of the bolts and brakes, fluids etc before i rode it...tyres and alike - you can download the 1998 service manual from the "Download" Section

1000 miles later and i have had a good few months, not many roads cause me any concerns now - i mainly ride for fun as opposed to commute...loving the country roads  - so as darrsi said, ride it

I had a good read over "Twist of the Wrist" - main thing i have learned, from that book but also over the past few months, is just how important the throttle is - not just to go quick in straight lines, but for the overall response and handling of the bike...

Don't know if you have a mechanical background, i don't, its electronics for me, but educate yourself on how engines and gears work and all the other bits on the bike work, why you need them etc....so you understand what your controls are doing in your mind - it helped me feel more confident, and if you have issues out on the road you might be able to get it going again
I have also dropped it ( you don't have to do that  :lol  ) but i now know i can pick it up easily and its lost that new shiny feeling....

Download Link for TOTW ( its on this site anyway )

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=17

One of my next Mods will be dual headlighrs, was out a few weekends ago and it dropped dark, my word, scary as hell when i ended up on a twisty road on the way back home with no lighting, the head lamps on the fazer are awful

Anutz

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2015, 02:03:35 pm »
What can happen when you snap studs...

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,16432.0.html

But also some people have snapped them and had no issues drilling them out....

i did not and am hoping to get away with things!

Anutz

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2015, 09:57:23 am »
Welcome to focland Alexander, I'm fairly new to here as well. But I've noticed you need thick skin and a good sense of humour, but it's all in good fun.
But they're a great bunch on here that will help you out if you have any problems, or if you want to do anything to your bike. But as Anutz said, somethings are forced upon you when you don't think your ready but I'm sure he's learned a lot since he's posted his situation about his exhaust bolts.
Happy foccin :-)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2015, 11:49:58 am »
clean and check the brakes....

I've done this recently... and what a difference it made.... never noticed how good they are! :lol:

and it felt really good to get all the winter crud and salt pish off them... plus I got to use tools!  :eek :D

apart from that... make sure the chain is well lubed as well... and go and grind the foot pegs having fun!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2015, 09:43:40 pm »
Welcome

Pictures pictures pictures

Take care removing those down pipes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2015, 12:22:37 pm »
i did my license in 2005 and did not actually get a bike until this January....was a Fazer 2001 600cc ( currently in bits due to me messing with exhaust studs, cylinder head is now at the local engine show getting new holes drilled and tapped...be really careful! )

i made sure that i did a full check of the bolts and brakes, fluids etc before i rode it...tyres and alike - you can download the 1998 service manual from the "Download" Section

1000 miles later and i have had a good few months, not many roads cause me any concerns now - i mainly ride for fun as opposed to commute...loving the country roads  - so as darrsi said, ride it

I had a good read over "Twist of the Wrist" - main thing i have learned, from that book but also over the past few months, is just how important the throttle is - not just to go quick in straight lines, but for the overall response and handling of the bike...

Don't know if you have a mechanical background, i don't, its electronics for me, but educate yourself on how engines and gears work and all the other bits on the bike work, why you need them etc....so you understand what your controls are doing in your mind - it helped me feel more confident, and if you have issues out on the road you might be able to get it going again
I have also dropped it ( you don't have to do that  :lol  ) but i now know i can pick it up easily and its lost that new shiny feeling....

Download Link for TOTW ( its on this site anyway )

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=17

One of my next Mods will be dual headlighrs, was out a few weekends ago and it dropped dark, my word, scary as hell when i ended up on a twisty road on the way back home with no lighting, the head lamps on the fazer are awful

Anutz

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15666.msg179206.html#msg179206
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
thanks darrsi - thats an interesting mod....shall take a look at that
« Last Edit: 12 April 2015, 02:00:30 pm by anutz »