Date: 19-03-24  Time: 10:12 am

Author Topic: Neighbours barking dog... Advice  (Read 6677 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Neighbours barking dog... Advice
« on: 25 May 2014, 04:22:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

My neighbour got a new dog about 6 months ago. She is absolutely beautiful and has a lovely nature. However, the dog barks in 20 minute bursts, relentlessly, about 3-4 times a day. This started when they would leave it at home for 8-10 hours a day when she was a pup. They don't walk her a great deal or pay her a lot of attention, and when I'm in the garden and play with her the barking stops.

Now we have a "comfortable" relationship with the neighbours. We are not friends, but we chat over the fence, say hi and talk to their kids. I don't want to upset the apple cart, but I am tired of listening to the barking dog.

Don't get me wrong, we are not the quietest neighbours. I have 4 motorcycles and work shifts. Sometimes stating work or coming home between 5am-6am. I also am a former Dj with a home studio. My friends ride bikes and/or Dj, so music and motorcycles are not uncommon in my household. I am always respectful as to the time of day and appreciate that people are sleeping and we have young kids next door.

I never complain about people doing their thing, cutting grass, playing music or whatever. Even when I'm on nightshift, I just work around it as it's my choice to work shifts and don't expect anyone to tip-toe around me. But the dog is wearing us down. I'm listening to it right now and it is stressful.

Give me your opinion guys. Do I continue to put up with it or do I talk to my neighbour and risk opening a can of worms?

Cheers
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Neighbours barking dog... Advice
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2014, 04:50:57 pm »
Maybe go at it from an animal welfare view and don't mention barking, or at least it disturbing you. Thus they may take better care of it without giving them an opportunity to get back at your noise. Or report them to the RSPCA ;)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2014, 05:46:18 pm »
you definately shouldn't continue to put up with it. if it happens regularly (especially when they are not at home), they may not know about the problem fully, so highlighting it will at least give them a chance to address it. It may be they know about it and are too lazy/ignorant in how to train the dog not to do this.

They made a commitment by taking on a new pup, and if they are not used to dogs it will take some pearning from them AND the dog, but they should be able to stop it happening/cut it right down.

Rather than going round and having a sit down with them and telling them your sick of it blah blah, do you think it would be easier if you just dropped a hint or three while talking to them? what sort of dog is it out of interest?

If it IS their first dog it's likely that the owners simply dont know any steps they can do to cut down/stop the dog barking like that (i.e. walk it more for a start!). Yes, some people really are that daft. I know you say your relationship with them is ok, and so for me I think that means you NEED to say something, or else it will continue to drive you up the wall, until you end up resenting them so much for it you bust a gasket.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2014, 05:49:08 pm »
Hello mate, I know exactly what you're experiencing.

My neighbour has 5 dogs.

It started with a large dog, then a snoopy type breed, and then the little brown fox-like canines with their shrill, high-pitched bark.

Having lived in different countries, I'm used to dogs barking at all times of day, but these little dogs have a special kind of piercing sound that goes right into the middle of your skull!

Initially, I talked to my neighbours and she was quite obliging about it and would take them inside after a certain hour. Feeling that she was up for being helpful, I sent her some details I found online, such as an anti-bark collar, and also the idea to leave a radio on when they left the dogs alone, as it is often the case that the dog misses the owner when left for extended hours.

There's my first suggestion, gently bring up the barking with them, as they may not realise it's being a nuisance to you.

In my case, the noise subsided, was controlled/monitored for a while. Then it went back to the same. I kept texting the lady whenever it bothered me, and at one point she started complaining that I was being a bully. I then started telling the husband about the noise.

One day, the dogs were barking at 11pm and I called him to say the dogs are barking and it's disturbing me. His answer was, "well, they're dogs, that's what they do!"

I then contacted my council about it. They asked me to keep a diary of the noise for 2 weeks, and then send it in to them. I did that and they then came round and installed some expensive noise recording equipment for a week.

They also visited the neighbour to assess the living conditions of the dogs, and despite them being left alone for the entire day in the garden, it was assessed that the dogs were healthy and happy. Go figure... they're NEVER taken out of the house for a proper walk!!!

The idea is that you record the noise whenever it disturbs you, and then at the end of the week they take the machine away and assess whether the noise levels constitute a nuisance or not. Sadly, I was unable to continue recording over the whole week due to some personal stuff.

I will be making a new diary and then resubmit the complaint. Apparently each residence is allowed 4 recording attempts.

It's a strange scenario where the onus is on you to prove the noise is a nuisance rather than sensibility taking over and seeing that 5 dogs in a garden space of 15x20ft left alone all day long will very likely bark for no apparent reason! I feel sorry for the dogs that they don't get out for walks at all, to a park to sniff a new dog's arse :-P, or experience the various smells that dogs enjoy by being out n about. But apparently the council expert thinks the dogs are doing fine!

I don't hold much hope that a 2nd complaint/recording will achieve a different result, but I will keep trying. The final recourse is private legal action, which is basically the end of the "friendly" neighbour facade!

So, I'd say, if talking to them doesn't help, you'd need to call your local council and see what their procedure is for dealing with noise complaints.

Good luck!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 25 May 2014, 05:52:16 pm by kawasutra »

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2014, 07:37:38 pm »
If your neighbours are reasonable people a friendly chat might work , but if your neighbours are unreasonable cnuts be prepared for hell . Good luck with it .

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
Sorted
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2014, 09:36:47 pm »
Buy an elephant. I saw it on The Simpsons and it seemed to work.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2014, 09:39:51 pm »
Just keep chucking laxative chocolate over the fence,,they will shit and shit and shit,,all over there house,

my cousin did this to a neighbour and the next day the fitted carpets were hanging off all the fences drying from shampooing..

then chuck some more chocolate over the fence :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2014, 09:47:14 pm »
Next door but one, had two cars nicked, they snapped the eurolock (see youtube? and some puppies) on the house door and got the keys.
so they got two german shepherd dogs, this was the start of hell for all the neighbours, someone must have complained as the dogs are put in the house when they are at work and barking is only when they are out in the garden now, like 8am this morning (sunday), same thing here they never walk the dogs, why  do people get animals if they are not going to look after them?
http://youtu.be/FqhhXyROxQM

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2014, 12:36:51 pm »
My sympathies mate. Been there, done that. It seems that due to the peculiar love of annoying pets the British have you will get little empathy.

In my wilder, younger days we had a Dentist near to us and to protect his property he would leave his dogs in the garden whenever he (frequently) went out. Late one night and with two young children being kept awake I visited his house to "reason" with him. Getting no reply at the front I went to the back and opened the gate. The dogs immediately all focced off up the road. SORTED. The problem did reappear soon after, no doubt Mr. Dentist having secured his back gate, so I took out a County Court Order and took GREAT pleasure from delivering it to him personally.

In my present property the geezer who lives on the other side of the fence at the foot of my back garden had a yapper. Despite many loudly shouted requests to "SHUT THAT F***ING DOG UP!!!" the yapping persisted at all hours of the day and night I decided to pop round and "have a chat" with him one day and was promptly told to "F**K OFF"....................... OK. So as it was quite late at night I stood and continually rang his doorbell while shouting through the letterbox........."I hope I'm not being unreasonable and keeping you awake?"
After a while I could see him through the frosted glass come and take the batteries out of the doorbell.
His dog never barked after that and they recently moved.

PS.  The guy who moved in has a Harley and I can hear that bastard starting up at O'dark hundred as he goes off to work.

PPS  I do NOT recommend any of the above actions ?????
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2014, 12:42:01 pm »
My sympathies mate. Been there, done that. It seems that due to the peculiar love of annoying pets the British have you will get little empathy.

In my wilder, younger days we had a Dentist near to us and to protect his property he would leave his dogs in the garden whenever he (frequently) went out. Late one night and with two young children being kept awake I visited his house to "reason" with him. Getting no reply at the front I went to the back and opened the gate. The dogs immediately all focced off up the road. SORTED. The problem did reappear soon after, no doubt Mr. Dentist having secured his back gate, so I took out a County Court Order and took GREAT pleasure from delivering it to him personally.

In my present property the geezer who lives on the other side of the fence at the foot of my back garden had a yapper. Despite many loudly shouted requests to "SHUT THAT F***ING DOG UP!!!" the yapping persisted at all hours of the day and night I decided to pop round and "have a chat" with him one day and was promptly told to "F**K OFF"....................... OK. So as it was quite late at night I stood and continually rang his doorbell while shouting through the letterbox........."I hope I'm not being unreasonable and keeping you awake?"
After a while I could see him through the frosted glass come and take the batteries out of the doorbell.
His dog never barked after that and they recently moved.

PS.  The guy who moved in has a Harley and I can hear that bastard starting up at O'dark hundred as he goes off to work.

PPS  I do NOT recommend any of the above actions ?????

Hahahaha... Absolutely brilliant. Taste of their own medicine!
I might have to resort to the doorbell tactic soon myself.

I was considering conjuring up a gadget that is dog-bark activated and has a LOUD recorded sound saying "STFU!!" and affixing it in the garden!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2014, 01:10:54 pm »
Adeejay...... Any news then.... Hope they were reasonable....
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2014, 02:35:16 pm »
Hi Guys,

Well, the missus and I were at the radio 1 big weekend all day yesterday and were up to 5.30am, so needless to say I am currently like a burst couch and will not be speaking to anyone today (except maybe the Chinese delivery man).

There is a good mix of advice here, along with a bit of crazy, which I love. I used to be a crazy person too, but my days of reacting like that are past me. Apparently I don't deal with the stress very well... So I will start off with a chat with them and go from there. I am not likely to complain to the council, unless I really HAVE to.

Chances are I will talk to them on Wednesday as I am working all day tomorrow, so I will update y'all when I do.

Thanks for the advice guys  :)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2014, 04:53:51 pm »
Well, the missus and I were at the radio 1 big weekend all day yesterday and were up to 5.30am,
So was I, but I was there from Friday and working.  Were you performing, working or in amongst the Jimmy Savillefest that made up most of the audience?  There was some noisy bastards there but most of them were on the stage......

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2014, 06:01:47 pm »
I was partying with the good folk of Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday. Not done a 2 day'r for ages. We had a blast. Met some randoms, bumped into an old college mate, seen some great performances, helped a guy who was propped against a tree in an L shape (foccin hilarious at the time) and got hit with a cup of pish. All in all, it was fun, although I will need a day or 2 to recover.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2014, 06:23:07 pm »
Unfortunately not walking a dog is not an offence. Atleast the dog is being fed and living in ok conditions.

Have a google for anti bark collars, they come in many guises. Some when activated, spray the dog, others give it a wee shock just after a vibration to warn the dog whats coming thus after a few shocks the dog will stop barking as soon as the vibration starts then it won't get a shock. There is also one that YOU can put on your fence that emits a noise that will only be heard by the dog when it barks.

Of these I would go the electric shock way as I know for a fact it works, and very quickly.

Link Never een these used but just to give you an idea, price etc.

Link

Link This one is the one I have used in the past and it works very well, pricey yes, but you get what you pay for.

PS, I have 13 dogs and been in and around dogs for years and barking is hard to stop if your not there to correct it.

Good luck.

(edited by mickvp - just fixing your links mate, they were broken ;))
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 07:06:22 pm by mickvp »
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2014, 08:36:03 pm »

Link

This Collar can be set at 8 different levels of stimulation
[/size]
 :lol :lol :lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2014, 12:06:40 am »
Have a google for anti bark collars, they come in many guises  [...] Of these I would go the electric shock way as I know for a fact it works, and very quickly.

Especially when you put the collar around the owner's neck...! :D

Rustyz nutzz

• CBT Wobbler
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R1 - modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2014, 05:02:54 am »
Have a google for anti bark collars, they come in many guises  [...] Of these I would go the electric shock way as I know for a fact it works, and very quickly.

Especially when you put the collar around the owner's neck...! :D

I like Grahamm's view on it  :lol :lol

If it's got more than 2 wheels it's a car!

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2014, 08:42:52 am »
the owner ???   I was think more my mrs !   :lol

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2014, 09:16:24 am »
Luckily I've never had to put up with this, it must be a nightmare, but I have to confess, some of the replies to this thread have had me in stiches over my morning cuppa! :-)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

R1FSR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
I had a similar problem many moons ago ...as a guitarist I used to use a drum machine with headphones .... I set up said machine to small amp ..placed it against the wall and went out for the weekend ...came home to 2 suicidal neighbours lol 

message received LOUD and clear   :lol

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2014, 06:06:31 pm »
First thought was a BB gun, but I thought that a bit harsh. Especially if it's a small dog. A Black Widow catapult should deal enough pain for it to shut up. Don't pull it back the whole way tho... Unless you like to kill small dogs!!!

(joking, before I start to get death threats from animal rights nut jobs)