Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:20 pm

Author Topic: How to fit FZ6 givi pannier rack to FZS600  (Read 9941 times)

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
How to fit FZ6 givi pannier rack to FZS600
« on: 20 May 2014, 10:07:21 pm »
I posted on here several months ago, asking if anyone knew if it were possible to fit a givi pannier rack from an fz6 to an fzs600, as its no longer possible to get the ones designed for the fzs600. I only got responses from people who were either equally curious or who told me it wouldn't work and to buy a wingrack instead (not an option, far too ugly). But I was convinced it would work, and that it would be a better opinion than trying to make my own brackets from scratch or using one of those ugly wingracks.

So last month I bit the bullet and bought the PL351 givi monokey pannier brackets and set about trying to fit them to the bike, and it turned out to be even easier than I expected it to be, so I thought I would share some pictures of how I did it.

I made these 2 brackets out of 3mm thick steel, the two larger holes are 25mm diameter,  and the smaller is 9mm (for an 8mm bolt allowing for the thickness of the powder coat), I made them first out of 0.8mm steel as a template to check the fitment and then replicated this out of the thicker steel.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 01:48:11 pm by kevinmcglynn »

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: How to fit FZ6 givi pannier rack to FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 10:17:54 pm »
These brackets bolt under the rear grab rail, and are simply clamped in place by it. The position on the pannier bracket which bolts to the top box rack on an fz6 bolts to these instead.

The other mount on the givi brackets is where it connects to the footpeg mount, it is designed to mount under the footpeg on an fz6 but this is not possible on the fzs600 due to the position of the exhaust,  so I bolted it above the footpeg instead, and by using the spacers that come with the kit the footpegs still fold back up out of the way.

Other than that the only change required is to lengthen the bar which connects the two sides by approx 15mm, I just cut it in the centre and welded a small piece in to make it longer.

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 10:23:45 pm »
I then sent these fabricated and modified parts to be powder coated, then bolted it all in place and I'm delighted with the results. It turned out to be really easy, much easier than making a whole bracket from scratch and much neater then a wingrack when the panniers aren't on the bike. I dunno why more people haven't done this in the past.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 11:49:48 pm »
Can we have a pic with the panniers off please ?

Very neat looking job  :)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 09:15:36 am »
Can we have a pic with the panniers off please ?

Yes, yes..more pictures of the frame without the panniers please!  I agree, top job!

There doesn't look to be much clearance for a pillion, I guess that's pretty standard though for panniers.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 09:57:33 am »
Agree, nice job!  Id like to see them slightly further back allowing for more footrest though, would that be do-able dya think?

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
I'll take a few pics of the bike without the panniers on when I get home and post them up.

For mounting them further back you would need to cut and lengthen the part of the bracket that connects down into the footpeg. Depending on how far back you moved it this would then mean that the bar linking the two pannier racks to each other would no longer pass through the openings left by removing the indicators, so this bar would then be out in front of the number plate, and the shape of the brackets I made for under the grab rail would be different as the hole that the pannier rack bolts to would be further back also. But nothing is impossible, and you could probably move it 25mm ish without any problems. It is possible to get your foot on the foot peg as it is though.

As far as the space for a pillion is concerned I'm able to sit back there fine, and I'm not exactly the narrowest person, it definitely hasn't been made any worse by adding the panniers, and certainly no worse than the other pannier options (wingrack, home made etc.).

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2014, 10:22:26 pm »
As promised,  a few pics of the bike without the panniers on.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2014, 08:52:39 am »
Thats a really neat job. I'm gunna go for it.  Havent really got bracket making equipment or welding gear though lol

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2014, 09:13:45 am »
Any good ideas on how to make this work on an earlier model? With the round hand rail? I'm thinking I might just bolt a bracket to the top of the rail

krnchippy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2014, 12:47:35 pm »
What you have done here Kevin is outstanding. Why Givi don't make kit for this bike is beyond me. Clearly you have the knowledge and the tools for this job, but I would suggest that this work is a little bit beyond the scope of the average Joe.

Your post is of particular interest to me because I have been trying to find a way of doing what you have achieved for some time now. I even purchased the later model pannier rack in a hope to somehow make it fit my bike, but they are significantly different so I sent them back.

But only this week I have succeeded with a purchase from Motohaus. I fitted it yesterday and am pleased with the results. I will post photo's shortly. One thing I don't like so much (from your pics) is the position of the indicators, especially without the panniers fitted, they do stick out quite a bit, and look a bit 'unnatural'.

One other thing: the cost. I think you would have paid over £100 for the rack, which you then had to modify. There would have been some cost of materials and paint, plus a fair amount of your time. My rack cost around £200. All things considered I doubt there is much in it cost-wise between them. But as I say, you have done a job to be proud of.

krnchippy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2014, 01:14:29 pm »
Photo's...

krnchippy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
More...

krnchippy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2014, 01:18:56 pm »
The pannier rack itself can be removed undoing three screws, takes 30 secs, so all you have left is the fixing points.

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2014, 02:00:29 pm »
To try and answer a few of questions/comments some of you had made:

I cut the two brackets for under the grab rail from an off cut of 100mm x 50mm (x 3mm thick) box iron which I had lying around, this already had a 90 degree bend in it, which by placing in the vice and with a few quick slaps with the hammer I reduced to 70 - 80 degrees. (found the exact required angle from the template I made from the thinnner steel, but I can have a go at measuring the exact angle if any of you are interested). The issue where I think most people would struggle in the fabrication is drilling the 25mm holes, I'm lucky in that I have a pillar drill to do this, if you dont have a mate with at pillar drill I'm sure your nearest steel fabrication place would happily do this for you.

As far as cost, the rack cost me £87.65

http://www.motocard.com/en/fitment_kits/fitment_kit-givi-pl351.aspx?currency=gbp&utm_campaign=comparadores&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparadores_en&utm_term=fitment_kits_givi_pl351&gclid=CjgKEAjwzIucBRDzjIz9qMOB3TASJABBIwL1JdWFszIWRgAgSVdQ9L01c6f8YMLm07-YmRDV1xNaYfD_BwE

I got the indicators, and the little blanking off plates which are required for mounting aftermarket indicators to an FZ6 for approx £15. Another option would be to buy a set of indicators to fit an FZ6 as the Givi brackets are designed to simply relocate these.

and finally getting the brackets I made powder coated cost £10, so all together around £110. As far a time it took me 2 - 3 hours. Admitedly if you are unable to fabricate it yourself then it would cost more to get a steel fabricators to make it for you, but I would still think this will come in for less than the £200 suggested. It is only the 2 L-shaped brackets shown in the first pictures which I made, the givi kit is un-modified, with the exception of making the bar linking the 2 sides 15mm longer.

As far as the relocated position of the indicators, these brackets are part of the Givi kit, but are not essential to it, it could be put together without them and the indicators positioned as krnchippy has shown in his photographs, but this would mean the bar linking the 2 sides having to be lengthened by 20 to 25mm not the 15mm mentioned above, to compensate for the loss of the thickness of these indicator brackets.

Any other questions/comments, I'll happily answer as best I can.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 02:02:36 pm by kevinmcglynn »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2014, 08:07:54 pm »
Excellent post Kevin and a nice job. Type of thing that makes this site so good.  :thumbup

krnchippy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2014, 08:36:36 am »
I think you could probably sell these for say £150? I would have paid that for it, knowing that Givi don't make one as standard.

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2014, 09:58:26 pm »
nicely done - think I may look into this also.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2014, 05:30:10 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Any chance you could take a few photos of the way you've got your rack bolted onto the footpegs? Starting work on a similar setup on my ZX9R, but similar to you, I've got to deal with a footpeg exhaust bracket being in the way!

Cheers!

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2014, 01:46:29 pm »
Joe,

You can kind of make it out in the 5th photo, but I'll take a close up photo for you over the weekend. I basically bolted the rack above the footpeg rather than below it, and still used the 10mm(ish) spacer supplied with the kit in between them. The spacer means that the pegs can still be folded up when not in use.

Kevin

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
Joe,

You can kind of make it out in the 5th photo, but I'll take a close up photo for you over the weekend. I basically bolted the rack above the footpeg rather than below it, and still used the 10mm(ish) spacer supplied with the kit in between them. The spacer means that the pegs can still be folded up when not in use.

Kevin

Aaah I can see what you've done now Kevin - saved the picture and zoomed in. Fingers crossed it'll be as easy as that for my 9!

chris600uk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2014, 08:02:27 pm »
Yamaha FZ6/ FZ6 Fazer
Suitable for Yamaha FZ6/ FZ6 Fazer07 Onwards

SW Motech Quick Lock side carriers designed specifically for Givi V35 Cases.

Note: Includes all mounting hardware and adaptors needed to fit the V35 cases

Part No.KFT.06.348.150

Price: £195.26 (Including VAT at 20%)

Kevin's is beyond me.
Krnchippy did you mean this one?

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2018, 12:29:32 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread here. I posted the above topic about 4 years ago now, documenting how I went about fitting a pannier rack for the newer FZ6s to my FZS600 as it was no longer possible to buy one. Well now unfortunately circumstances have changed and the time has come to sell the bike, but before doing so I thought I would dig this post up again and see if anyone would be interested in buying the top box/pannier racks off the bike for their FZS600. I know there was a fair bit of interest in this post at the time, and I can't imagine Givi racks for FZS600s have gotten any easier to find in the last few years. I'd prefer to sell the racks with the panniers and top box included, but I will also consider selling them separately. I'm based in Northern Ireland, but I will get them posted anywhere in the UK/Ireland as required.

Also if anyone is interested in buying the bike complete with the racks and boxes included that would be even better. It's 2003, 21,000 miles, full years MOT.

Mjhb

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 July 2018, 10:21:03 am »
Hi Kevin,

Interested in the racks/panniers/top box etc. - are they still available ?

How much are you looking for, including postage to mainland UK ?

Presumably they would fit straight on to a '98 Boxeye ?

Kind regards,

Matt

:)

kevinmcglynn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2018, 09:00:47 am »
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I was away for a week there. I actually managed to sell them to a man locally over the weekend there.