Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:34 pm

Author Topic: On the scrounge!  (Read 1483 times)

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
On the scrounge!
« on: 07 January 2012, 11:02:19 am »
Has anyone got a set of knackered clocks looking for a home? I'm after a set with the lcd clock built in(mk2?) to see if they can be easily pulled apart and the lcd hacked into, accident damaged is no problem as they won't be getting used other than experimental purposes.
I'm thinking along the lines of built in gear indicator and engine temp(maybe also oil temp) using a bit extra electronics but don't know how much room is inside the unit, don't want to destroy the good one I have just to try the theory, probably won't work so don't want to pay good money either hence the accident damaged approach.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Silverdream

• Weekend Warrior
  • Live it - Ride it..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: On the scrounge!
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2012, 04:47:30 pm »

Good idea Captain Haddock... you will have to keep us updated on how it goes..

I looked into making one myself, even just a simple temp gauge.. as i was not confident with just the fan going on and off to control the temp.... i have come from a ZX9r and that had a temp gaugewhich i did use a lot.. but not being an electronics engineer i gave up when i found this multi gauge from Christian..

This one from Christian (Schlumpf on FZ10A forum) in Germany?

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36701

Seems to be well worth it for all the info it gives...

I have one ordered with him an it should be here by Feb.. ani will follow Pats excellent write upfor install..

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/multigaugeinstallation.html

Silverdream

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2012, 08:01:30 pm »
I'm thinking of using a picaxe controller (pic for idiots) and digital temp sender, I've made a gear indicator switch from an old neutral switch but not got round to sorting a display yet, that one in the link looks great but I'd rather do something for less than a tenner if it can be done :) , the picaxe can drive an lcd so it has to be worth a go, just need a butcherable set of clocks first.

Glen M

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2012, 01:39:54 pm »
If I still have it I've got the set from that where on the bike when crashed.  Took a load of bits to the skip yesterday and can't remember if they went to.  They are completely knackered, backs smashed and circuit board is cracked but other than that its all there.  There yours for price of postage if your interested. OR if you want I could take it apart and provide photos? 

Honestly don't think there is much room.  From what I remember look at mine with the back smashed the circuit board is the full size of the clocks unit to which all the various bits are more or less an integral part. 

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 05:36:06 pm »
Some photos would be a great starting point Glen, not sure if a broken circuit board would give away many secrets, email address is dave.flint "at" ntlworld.com.