Date: 16-04-24  Time: 10:20 am

Author Topic: Xbox hard drive woe's  (Read 2837 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Xbox hard drive woe's
« on: 06 January 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
Time to tap the foc'er font of knowlage again :P

Had a stroke of luck just affter Xmas, been affter an Xbox 360 for a while but on REALY limited funds so was going to go for a 3 red ring of death one and try to fix it.
Well ended up i found a guy selling a 4gig 1 month old Xbox 360 (slim?) its the new shape anyway. so got that with kinect and half a dozen games £70..... foc'ing bargin of the year!!!
now i know bugger all about the xbox realy but have since found that as its only 4gig thats fine for game saves and a little updates some games get now and then, but i can se that there is much download content avail and it would be nice to have a hard drive.

I thought i could pick up a 60gig Xbox drive for around £15 but its the old Xbox drive and now found out it wont fit the new shape box.
I was then told you can just drop on a USB 2.0 drive so that seemed a good idea untill i googled it and found that its ok for your files like music and vids but cant be used for xbox live downloads or games files.
the new style hard drives are blood expensive for what they are, so a cheap way round it would be good.

So dose anyone know a way to either make a old style xbox drive fit the new style xbox? or some other way to get hard drive space?

i did see this.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARD-DISK-DRIVE-HDD-Case-MICROSOFT-XBOX-360-Slim-/330659989193?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5419210287562104962

but the xbox slim they show in the pic dosent look like mine as i just have 1 slot on the front (not including the cd drive tray) and im not sure if it dose what i thought, and thats convert a old xbox drive to fit the new....

i hate tech lol

Oh on a side note whats a realy good RPG ? i played WOW and EQ etc for years on line and love that type of game, anything like that for xbox? i know it wont be masive online side of things but just a good rpg along those lines.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Xbox hard drive woe's
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2012, 02:56:22 pm »
So dose anyone know a way to either make a old style xbox drive fit the new
style xbox?

A big hammer? :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2012, 04:02:30 pm »
I formatted a 16gb usb stick for Xbox use, not sure if it does just music or that (does not work in laptop now so i assume xbox reformatted it for use??) It was just a play.com USB 2 stick, could maybe get a 32gb one of them? I think you can only use up to 32gb on the xbox too?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2012, 04:10:35 pm »
Now i did see something about useing flash drives, but they get reformated to fat 32 (noidea lol) and only reconise 16gb at a time but will reconise 2 of them at the same time.
they then work with xbox live stuff as long as that file isnt over 4 gig
theres lots of info on google about it but the problem is when its techy's talking to other techy's mugs like me get lost lol

might try that with an old 2gig i have laying around and see what happens to start with
good idea though thx and will give that a shot, temp 16 or 32 would be usefull untill i can afford a real hard drive for it

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2012, 04:46:58 pm »

A bit of googling....

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns#]Upgrade Xbox360 Slim 4gb with ANY xbox360 Harddrive
[/url]

http://www.cd24-7.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=263

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2012, 08:02:15 pm »
Ah so thats what the case i linked is for, makes sense now.
so £3 ish for a case (if you dont want it rattling around) and a cheap 20g old style xbox drive off ebay for about £5-10 depending on how long you wait would give me a 20g hard drive or 60 if my luck was in.
or just 40ish for the non official drive you linked. but they dont have in stock and 2 months wait time.

at least i have a better idea on it now. seems if you can get them cheap enough a good mid range solution for non hard core gamers would be a 20-60 gb drive with the cover.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2012, 10:48:18 pm »
FAT32 is a type of filing system used by computers and limits individual file size, there should be an option to format your stick to FAT32 if your using your computer. If you can format a stick using your Xbox (?) you'd expect it to use the correct filing system for anything you'd end up downloading.

Game-wise I'd recommend Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassins Creed, you can probably pick them up pretty cheap now that they both have sequels. Rainbow6 Vegas and Bioshock are also pretty good but are first person shooters.
thou shalt not kick

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2012, 10:05:58 am »
Oh on a side note whats a realy good RPG ? i played WOW and EQ etc for years on line and love that type of game, anything like that for xbox? i know it wont be masive online side of things but just a good rpg along those lines.

Skyrim
You can waste DAYS of your life killing dragons :)
Or if you're after cheap, Oblivion :)

I did the mod in the video (making my old HDD fit in my new xbox, I didn't bother with the case, just put the drive in :)

I don't move it much tbf, but I have taken it up to leeds and back in a wheeled suitcase (walked across the city centre (too tight for taxi)) and it was fine after that :)

Anyway, hope that helps :)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2012, 04:04:21 pm »
Skyrim i looked at in asda the otherday, looked realy good so will be keeping my eyes open for a cheap 2nd hand copy

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2012, 05:25:49 am »
you can have my copy of skyrim for £20 if you want it...

I just cant get into it  :\

as for the Xbox memory, i got the 250gb and can easily see how its going to be eaten up by the amount of updates and Apps available on it now.... worth investing... although there are rumours within the gaming community that a new xbox could be launched in the next 18months?!?!
Ride It Like You've Stole It