Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:44 am

Author Topic: Got rear ended at a pelican crossing  (Read 1157 times)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Got rear ended at a pelican crossing
« on: 11 June 2022, 09:51:16 am »
Yesterday I stopped at a pelican crossing, heard some tyre screeching behind me, then got rear ended by a combo van 😅

Bike rear end is fucked and I'm OK other that the back and shoulder strain from sudden inertia and kepping a 220kg bike upright.

Getting an SV650 loan bike and someone's coming to collect my FZ1 for "assessment"

Anyone got any idea how long these things take from recent experience? Back in the day you had to go round three garages getting quotes.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2022, 09:53:46 am by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Got rear ended at a pelican crossing
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2022, 09:59:54 am »
IT used to be a pain in the rear withthe onus on you to get the quotes which was nice and easy with a non-rideable/driveable vehicle but now most insurance companies deal direct with approved repair centres so they take it away and bring it back "fixed".
Not had any bike claims but car approved centres leave a lot to be desired. With my car and the wifes car on a couple of claims over the last 5-10 years have resulted in me rejecting the repairs at least twice on each repair. They take the piss with what they think they can get away with. However it ends up, if they repair it rather than write it off (doesnt take much on an older vehicle) give the bike a bloody good check over BEFORE you sign anything and DO NOT take it away and book it in again later. Leave it with them and hang on to the loan vehicle as it focuses their minds when they potentially have another upset customer to deal with due to not havng a loaner available.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2022, 10:22:15 am »
Thanks for the info, the "loan" bike is actually hired by the insurance company from the "approved" agent. Its coming from the Midlands and I'm on the south coast, I'm not sure where they're actually taking my bike but I know it's a different company.

Odd thing, the accident claim line is a separate company from the insurers, and the actual insurers are a separate company from my policy company. So far there are three or four companies involved 🙈

I thought they're all trying to blag as much as they can from each other.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2022, 10:38:17 am by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2022, 11:28:40 am »
Be careful what you sign for the 'loan' bike. Read the small print and check what you might be liable for if things don't turn out as planned.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2022, 12:04:37 pm »
Be careful what you sign for the 'loan' bike. Read the small print and check what you might be liable for if things don't turn out as planned.
Yes i have, I'm liable for £650 excess if I crash it and that's it. I will of course be thoroughly checking it for existing marks and make sure they are all logged.

All companies/corporations will blag as much as they can off you given half a chance. You are right, be very careful what you sign
*Disclaimer*

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2022, 02:27:29 pm »
If you've been injured (ie the back and shoulder strain) put in a claim for compensation for that direct with your insurance, not a "claims company" that will keep a big chunk of it for them doing a simple job :thumbup

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2022, 03:50:44 pm »
Yes i have, I'm liable for £650 excess if I crash it and that's it. I will of course be thoroughly checking it for existing marks and make sure they are all loggedAll companies/corporations will blag as much as they can off you given half a chance. You are right, be very careful what you sign

What I meant was, check that under no circumstances will you be expected to pay the hire charge. The daily rate is often astronomical. Your 'agent' will try to claim this back from the 3rd party, and if it is for a long period it can be more than the value of your bike repair. That's where your agent makes their money. Terrible stories of 3rd party refusing to pay for hire as excessive, and the bill landing on you. As said, check the small print, don't necessarily believe what your 'friendly' agent tells you.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2022, 04:17:43 pm »
I had a row the other day with a van driver at traffic lights who simply couldn't fathom out why I was having a go at him for tailgating me for about 2 miles.
If they're that thick to do it, then chances are they'll also be too thick to stop if I need to hit my brakes for whatever reason.
And hitting you, near a crossing as well, just confirms my concerns.  :grumble
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2022, 06:11:13 pm »
Yes i have, I'm liable for £650 excess if I crash it and that's it. I will of course be thoroughly checking it for existing marks and make sure they are all loggedAll companies/corporations will blag as much as they can off you given half a chance. You are right, be very careful what you sign

What I meant was, check that under no circumstances will you be expected to pay the hire charge. The daily rate is often astronomical. Your 'agent' will try to claim this back from the 3rd party, and if it is for a long period it can be more than the value of your bike repair. That's where your agent makes their money. Terrible stories of 3rd party refusing to pay for hire as excessive, and the bill landing on you. As said, check the small print, don't necessarily believe what your 'friendly' agent tells you.

Hmmmm yes, I did ask that very question to the agent and she was adamant that I am not liable but yes it is concerning I might even cancel it cos I don't really need it, it's just useful that's all, I might even just buy a spare bike really am in two minds about this, I have the full agreement printed I will scrutinise it thoroughly later
« Last Edit: 12 June 2022, 06:11:54 pm by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2022, 06:14:38 pm »
On closer inspection of my bike I have noticed what looks to be a bent rear subframe as the pillion seat no longer sits evenly flush both sides. Not sure if this could bring it into write off territory, and not sure the "approved agents" will even notice
« Last Edit: 12 June 2022, 06:15:47 pm by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*