Date: 16-04-24  Time: 16:06 pm

Author Topic: newbe ,need info  (Read 4069 times)

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
newbe ,need info
« on: 06 April 2014, 10:59:50 pm »
hi folks just bought 2001 fzs 600 11,ooo miles all old mots with bike i would appreciate some info on the goods and not so goods ,ive moved up from 125cc. thanks

robbie06

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: newbe ,need info
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2014, 11:08:23 pm »
Brilliant first big bike.just enjoy, and if it aint broke dont fix it
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the graveside in a well preserved body.
But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out,Shouting
"HOLLY SHIT   WHAT A RIDE".

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2014, 11:17:10 pm »
Probably the only real main thing you should know about is the front sprocket nut issue, other than that as 'robbie06' says just go out and enjoy it.
There's loads of info already covered on here but you can ask away if you're not sure of anything.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10649.0.html
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2014, 11:18:38 pm »
Ok some goods --- you wont want to get off
Bads ------- you wont want to get off
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2014, 06:40:11 am »
I was in the same position as you last year, so here are the good and bad points I've found:

Good:
95bhp, pretty much the most powerful (apart from the Hornet) 1st big non-sports bike on a budget out there. ER5s, ER6s Bandits, SV650s, all hover around the 60-70bhp mark, and a lot of riders get bored and upgrade in a year or two. I know I won't.
Practical, relatively loads of underseat storage, unlike a lot of other bikes. I can put two bottles of wine in there.  :D
Comfortable, nice upright riding position. I did 170 miles yesterday and felt I could do it again.
Cheap to run, riding carefully I can get 58mpg, riding like a knob I can still get 45.

Bad:
Expensive to run, despite the good mpg I find myself taking scenic routes and detours to and from work so I end up spending more on fuel.
It was never going to be a keeper for me, I was always planning on sampling SV650s, Diversions, Bandits, Hornets, Speed Fours etc. Not gonna happen now as I've started off with the best!  :D

Enjoy.  ;)
« Last Edit: 07 April 2014, 12:12:26 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2014, 10:29:33 am »
I always said I'd never buy the same machine twice as I like the variation of owning different bikes.

I've had 3 boxeyes over the past 12 years in between other bikes, and currently own a gen 2 thou. I just keep going back to them, as they really are that good at pretty much everything!

I've toured on it,
Scratched with litre bikes and kept up,
Commuted 30,000miles/annum,
Two up riding through Wales.
Haven't done a track day on it though, although some have!

I got 73mpg out if it once, but averaged about 54mpg with 'normal riding'.

What's not to like about it?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2014, 10:55:11 am »
After riding about on a CBF125 for a year prior to taking my direct access I then bought a FZS600 on the recomendation of my riding instructor, I've never looked back.
Aftr writing my old one off last year after using the back of a BMW to stop (very effective I must add) I found myself looking for another bike.  Friends told me to get something sport, CBR maybe but, it came down to money (as always) and I loved my fazer so I bought another one, a year older then the last but in better nick and I still love it.

The Fazer does everything I want, it's no sport bike but then I'm no fast rider, the Fazer is loads better than I will ever be so for me it's perfect.  Comfortable, quick enough to put a grin on my face and quick enough to scare me if I'm not careful.
Stick a new exhaust on it for a real grin. I've just stuck a Blueflame on, LOVE the sound of the bike now.
Pros, comfortable, easy to work on, reliable (touch wood), looks nice, sounds nice, rides nice, big "boot" quick enough to make you smile, and a good all rounder, I've even had mine round Brands Hatch)
Cons are the poor headlights, but I love everything else. :-)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
thanks
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2014, 08:39:42 pm »
thanks to all for info one small question my idle when warm sits about 1150 rpm it flickers ever so slightly is this a prob .iknow the bike needs good service as it only done 100 miles from last mot 'bike rides ok no low spots or lack of power ,thanks ct62

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2014, 10:25:32 pm »
Not so good - Original exhaust has a tendency to disintegrate at the collector. Even if kept dry they can still rot from the inside due to condensate from exhaust gases. When it needs changing you may also find the exhaust studs can disintegrate too. This can be a substantial (and costly) ball ache. I'm tempted to advise you to remove the nuts and replace with brass ones, as hopefully when the time comes to change the exhaust they will come off easily without the studs snapping. However don't attempt this until you have read some of the threads about it.

Other than that, almost everything about this bike is good. Congratulations on your purchase. It will bring you years of enjoyable motorcycling. Not sure what to say about the idle though, not something I've ever had a problem with.

mark

• DAS Born Again
  • do 1 thing a day that scares you
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 & triumph tiger 885i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
Mine flickers on idle a bit to I haven't been worried about still goes like sh## of the shovel lol

Muzzychris

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2014, 03:01:52 pm »
I had a sv650 as my first big bike, that crippled me and was to small, i then had a vfr800 which was over rated, i found it very uncomfortable, poor brakes and flat power delivery.
I love the fazer, fantastic brakes, more then enough power for most use and will stay with your mates sports bikes until 100+ most of the time! Easy to work on to its the first bike ive done work to that ive owned.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2014, 05:08:07 pm »
Don't think its a problem, carb balance should sort it out

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: thanks
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2014, 05:10:29 pm »
thanks to all for info one small question my idle when warm sits about 1150 rpm it flickers ever so slightly is this a prob .iknow the bike needs good service as it only done 100 miles from last mot 'bike rides ok no low spots or lack of power ,thanks ct62

Nothing to worry about, they pretty much all do that. A service may solve it but in my mind its more indicative of needing a carburettor balance :)

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2014, 07:46:04 pm »
On my second fzs 600.. Sold the foxeye as found it was pretendin to be a thou but somehow kind of failing (apologies to any foxeye owners btw)  :lol .. Love the current boxeye, as it is what it is  :thumbup .. Kept the Thundercat longer than all the others tho..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 April 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
Fazer FZS is my first big bike too after passing my test last year.  Found 1st to 2nd a very clunky experience but slowly refined the change by changing 'quickly'.  It seemed to work for me.

Bike excellent in pretty much 3rd all the way to 6th although a horror on the motorway.  Other than that i'm a 6ft 4" lump and i've literally hours of pleasurable & comfortable riding.

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 April 2014, 08:35:15 pm »
hi folks thanks again for info.just took side sprocket cover of ,all good but old bollt ,inoticed when i ran bike in first gear chain seem to kip about a bite ,tension is ok sprockets all good ,only 11,000 miles on bike is this the norm ,and do i need to replace the gasket on sprocket casing and do i need to replace nut to bigger one  and can i have this done by yamaha dealer ,sorry for so many questions thanks all
Fazer FZS is my first big bike too after passing my test last year.  Found 1st to 2nd a very clunky experience but slowly refined the change by changing 'quickly'.  It seemed to work for me.

Bike excellent in pretty much 3rd all the way to 6th although a horror on the motorway.  Other than that i'm a 6ft 4" lump and i've literally hours of pleasurable & comfortable riding.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 April 2014, 09:02:15 pm »
If there is enough of the old sprocket cover gasket left then shouldnt need replacing... Is the chain not suffering from a tight spot somewhere around its length causing the excessive bounce?... If you mean the front sprocket nut? then i dont believe the dealer will replace it as a recall.. The upgrade nut is however not an expensive replacement from the dealer..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2014, 09:11:16 pm »
If chain is a bit snatchy when pulling off then it probably needs tightening. Don't think the sprocket cover gasket really matters but you can order one for a couple of quid if you're a perfectionist. Sprocket nut can be done by dealer but you will probably need to quote the service note reference as they may deny all knowledge. Unfortunately I don't know what it is but it's on at least one thread on here.

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 April 2014, 09:44:51 pm »
very sorry posted new question new to all this tec stuff , thanktou for all the answers yous guys are great
If chain is a bit snatchy when pulling off then it probably needs tightening. Don't think the sprocket cover gasket really matters but you can order one for a couple of quid if you're a perfectionist. Sprocket nut can be done by dealer but you will probably need to quote the service note reference as they may deny all knowledge. Unfortunately I don't know what it is but it's on at least one thread on here.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 April 2014, 09:52:29 pm »

Just seen this ref the chain.

If you are talking about the chain being a little jumpy when you have the bike on the main stand in first gear ie for lubing up the chain...then that is normal........just not if you are riding it in first gear.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

caretaker62

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2014, 11:12:17 pm »
thats great just the answer i was hoping for thats exactly what i was doing new bike i can sleep well many thanks

Just seen this ref the chain.

If you are talking about the chain being a little jumpy when you have the bike on the main stand in first gear ie for lubing up the chain...then that is normal........just not if you are riding it in first gear.