Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:52 am

Author Topic: Rear wheel/axel noise  (Read 1211 times)

Gary

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Rear wheel/axel noise
« on: 03 April 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
Well guys .. my FZ1 has developed a squeak at the back wheel. At first I thought it could be the disc being warped but the noise is coming from the opposite side of the wheel - more so in where the axel is.
Im going to remove the wheel and axel but want to put some grease on it - which grease should I use?

If I find the grease doesnt fix it - I might change the axel/wheel bearings. Is this a handy job for a novice?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel/axel noise
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
I use molyibniu molibnium molybnium  The black one. :D

Gary

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2014, 09:16:19 pm »
I'll hit the motor factors so and ask for the black stuff .... or the bar first and ask for the same  :rollin

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2014, 05:26:12 am »
If you don't have a workshop manual download it from on here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=12

It will tell you what oils and greases etc you should be using plus how to remove rear wheel/change bearings etc.

Not sure what it says in the manual (i have  gen 1) but I normally use high temp lithium grease for wheel bearings.

good luck.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2014, 12:13:59 pm »
The only thing in there that squeaks are the bearings, (http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9023/31/yamaha%20fzs1000%20fazer/rear%20wheel?uID=0) (parts 13, 6 and 2) and if they are squeaking, it is probably a bit late for lube. You can try and put some lube in anyway as that might help delay the failure, but I suggest you order replacement bearings now. If you have done it before, and you have (or can borrow ) a puller, it is less than an hours work to replace the bearings.

Do you use a powerwasher? If so, you might as well consider replaceing the front bearings while you are at it, as they are probably dried out aswell.