Date: 23-04-24  Time: 11:05 am

Author Topic: Quick Shifters  (Read 5653 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Quick Shifters
« on: 26 March 2014, 08:56:44 am »
For road use - any point?

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Shifters
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2014, 09:05:48 am »
For road use - any point?

Have you tried one !

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2014, 09:28:43 am »
No I haven't, never ridden anything with one. Hence my curiosity. How do they work? Is there more than one type? I'm not a particularly fast rider, although I give it my best shot now and again, haven't ever done a track day and don't know that I ever will get around to it. So I wondered if their use would ever apply to me  as a road rider. Posted, as said, out of pure curiosity   :)

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2014, 10:17:42 am »
I tend to change up without the clutch anyway, unless I'm riding around in town - but when going harder I don't use a clutch, you get much quicker changes and also much smoother if you can master it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2014, 10:21:12 am »
I do the same as hightower - clutchless upshifts where applicable . You get a feel for it eventually as it isn't as black and white as "change between x and y rpm between gears w and z" etc.

If you want a quicker action you could change to the R6 shifter arm - this has been done on mine and it does alter how far you need to move your boot to change gear

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2014, 10:54:35 am »
Ive had bikes with factory shifters fitted and I rate them.
Pin the accelerator, don't back off to change and ride the wave of torque  :)

They sound great too!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2014, 10:57:44 am »
Liam, Hightower, I do a bit of clutchless upshifting myself, and don't think I'm actually considering a shifter for my own bike. But I'm sure I've seen that recently some new bike models have been coming out with a shifter fitted as standard (can't remember what models I've seen this on though  :rolleyes ), and just would like to know a bit more about the things, just to learn really.

Ah, thought so Matt. What bikes?

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2014, 11:34:17 am »
My K1300R had one as standard and Ive ridden an Aprilia RSV4 that has a standard one too.

Like I said, I rate them as a factory option and the sound of the gear changes at high rpm makes them sound like an F1 car (think of a whip crack noise!)

*You can just hear it in this clip!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Quick Shifters
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2014, 11:59:03 am »
I've got one fitted on a new bike and I also fitted one on my gen 1 tbh I've had em on just about every bike so I highly rate them, you can either pin the throttle and shift up or block shift, my latest mule with the full akro sounds awesome when it pops via changing with the shifter.

Anyone whom states they replicate the same without the use of the clutch by using the  throttle, is by no way replicating the same a shifter kills the ignition/fueling four times faster than a blink of the eye, you try and do that, impossible.

I love the sound, shifting thro the Gears in the tunnels in Europe the sound is priceless, and when I overtake snick snick I'm gone.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2014, 12:00:10 pm by cable tie »

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2014, 12:04:47 pm »
I've got one fitted on a new bike and I also fitted one on my gen 1 tbh I've had em on just about every bike so I highly rate them, you can either pin the throttle and shift up or block shift, my latest mule with the full akro sounds awesome when it pops via changing with the shifter.

Anyone whom states they replicate the same without the use of the clutch by using the  throttle, is by no way replicating the same a shifter kills the ignition/fueling four times faster than a blink of the eye, you try and do that, impossible.

I love the sound, shifting thro the Gears in the tunnels in Europe the sound is priceless, and when I overtake snick snick I'm gone.

They do sound great don't they  :)

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2014, 12:05:39 pm »
Highly rated by me too. Been on my FZ1 7 years now & there's one on my soon to be s1000r. Full throttle upshifts are great. No needing to shutoff to unload the gearbox, just open that throttle & hang on.
The best mod for fun factor ever. Fact!  8)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2014, 12:05:43 pm »
I'm thinking about it too....anyone know how much they are and how easy to fit

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2014, 12:14:48 pm »
Highly rated by me too. Been on my FZ1 7 years now & there's one on my soon to be s1000r. Full throttle upshifts are great. No needing to shutoff to unload the gearbox, just open that throttle & hang on.

You want to sell your quickshifter now your trading up to a Beemer Dek?

BBB, I haven't seen them for under €300 (new), its an expensive add on.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

You want to sell your quickshifter now your trading up to a Beemer Dek?

BBB, I haven't seen them for under €300 (new), its an expensive add on.

That is quite expensive.......I do like the sound of them.....food for thought

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
It uses the PC111 & Ignition module as well Matt. You have the reflash only I believe. There may be a way to use the DJ quickshifter as a standalone device. I'll have a look at the wiring diagram and see if it's possible to interrupt the ignition circuit by a single wire & run it in series.
Dek

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2014, 12:52:26 pm »
It uses the PC111 & Ignition module as well Matt. You have the reflash only I believe. There may be a way to use the DJ quickshifter as a standalone device. I'll have a look at the wiring diagram and see if it's possible to interrupt the ignition circuit by a single wire & run it in series.
Dek

Yeah, Im just running a flash with a full Akra and airbox mod...

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2014, 03:54:55 pm »

I wasn't trying to say I replicated it. But then again, I don't treat the road like Cadwell Park, so excuse me for failing to see the point of them.  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2014, 07:35:59 pm »
Oh wait a minute Matt, Dek! Do they go with carburetted bikes rather than FI bikes?

Sorry, I know that makes me sound like a complete divot, but that's only cos I am!  :lol

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
Oh wait a minute Matt, Dek! Do they go with carburetted bikes rather than FI bikes?

Sorry, I know that makes me sound like a complete divot, but that's only cos I am!  :lol

Deks is fI specific so runs a pc if you have carbs you have 2 options ie Dyno jet standalone or Translogic.

I fitted a translogic to my gen1, you can just see the shifter on the linkage rod.

These are stand-alone kit so no need for pc they come with there own module and you wire it to the ignition coils on carb bikes but you need to have some electrical wiring skills not a lot but no what wires do what and be able to use a soldering iron without melting your wiring loom :)

Tbh i wired a translogic standalone kit to a FI bike now but it took some working out because it triggered the limp home mode on the canbus, however i won in the end and found a way around it.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2014, 10:19:17 pm by cable tie »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2014, 10:21:09 pm »
Cue drooling by the lovers of ancient technology  :b

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2014, 10:24:23 pm »

I wasn't trying to say I replicated it. But then again, I don't treat the road like Cadwell Park, so excuse me for failing to see the point of them.  :lol

There nowt to be excused about fella :)  there is no point to them until you've tried one, and you don't need to ride like ya pants on fire to benefit the use of one, different strokes for different folks :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2014, 08:05:23 am »
If you block shifted down with a quick shifter wouldn't that then require a slipper clutch?
Which my model doesn't have.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2014, 08:07:11 am »
There nowt to be excused about fella :)  there is no point to them until you've tried one, and you don't need to ride like ya pants on fire to benefit the use of one, different strokes for different folks :)

It's probably just a case of jealousy. If I had one I'd probably be all "oh man, you gotta get one" but since I don't it's more "meh, waste of money for posh folks"

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2014, 09:38:44 am »
If you block shifted down with a quick shifter wouldn't that then require a slipper clutch?

Hmm... interesting one. I guess you are referring to how when people usually block downshift, they keep the clutch in. With a quick shifter I would imagine it would be letting the clutch out on every change

Besides this is usually discouraged (handbags at the ready) as any gear change can cause the gear teeth to misalign which is far more likely to happen the more gears you shift at once.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2014, 10:27:18 am »

Hmm... interesting one. I guess you are referring to how when people usually block downshift, they keep the clutch in. With a quick shifter I would imagine it would be letting the clutch out on every change

Besides this is usually discouraged (handbags at the ready) as any gear change can cause the gear teeth to misalign which is far more likely to happen the more gears you shift at once.
A quickshifter won't do anything with the clutch.  I'm not sure how they work on downshifts, but on upshifts it will kill the ignition for just long enough to take the load off the box and switch gears.  Same as rolling off the throttle, just quicker.