Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:34 pm

Author Topic: Safety when selling?  (Read 2145 times)

D4Delta

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Safety when selling?
« on: 24 March 2014, 10:27:33 am »
My Fazer is up for sale at the moment (see "For sales & wanted" section.) It's many years since I sold a bike and once someone took my Aerial Golden Arrow for a test ride (that dates me!  :lol ) which I found smashed up several weeks later at the back of a local bike shop :'( .

I would value suggestions as to what precautions I should take when (if) someone turns up to test ride it. Also how to have money transferred to my bank account - cheques can bounce!

Thanks.

David.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Safety when selling?
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2014, 10:36:18 am »
If they don't have real cash then you can often get instant bank transfers with online banking.

For me, if someone wants a test ride I'll either want the full cash in my hand, or their bike/car keys as collateral. It does depend though on how I feel at the time, if someone seems legit I may be prepared to let them go without that, but in most cases I feel it's a precaution that's worth taking.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2014, 10:36:43 am »
2nd hand private sale accept cold hard cash only!
If someone wants a test ride you need to cover you're own ass by seeing their proof of insurance to ride other bikes, and only allow them to test ride with the money in your hands as deposit, if they don't like it then don't give them the test ride!
« Last Edit: 24 March 2014, 10:37:14 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2014, 10:36:54 am »
never take a cheque is a good start. If they want to test ride it then before they ride off they have to give you cash in your hand for at least 80% - 100% of what you are asking for the bike. When they return, give the bike a quick check yourself and if it's ok then hand them their cash back.

That's how I've done it before, no cash no ride alone. If they question it, say you've had bad experiences in the past with someone you thought you could trust. It's the only fair way to do it.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2014, 10:37:32 am »
Take a cash deposit from the prospective purchaser, equal to your asking price. Or no test ride, simple.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2014, 10:53:04 am »
As above re hard cash before ant test rides.

I also ask for proof of ID etc a driving license with their photo. I've also been known to ask them if they mind me taking a picture of them on my mobile if I've any doubts - they won't mind if they're honest!!

Always use the photo ID as backup when filling out the V5.

If they want a receipt then do 2 of them which you both sign including all the bike details, date and the all important "sold as seen".

Just my 2p which when added to the above advice means I've never been stung.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2014, 10:55:30 am by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2014, 11:29:29 am »
If I am going to have a look at a bike I would always take the asking price in cash, my license and insurance cover letter.  I would not feel upset being asked for cash before having a test ride.  So do those things and you will be fine.  Another thing I have always done is to have the bike outside on the day they are due to come and have a look.  This way anyone having a look cannot see the bike where it is usually kept and assess security etc.  This gives some protection against people looking the bike over to come back and nick it later.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2014, 11:53:09 am »
Agree with all that's been said & bear in mind that the prospective purchaser may only have 3rd party cover to ride bikes other than his own(if any).
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES take a cheque unless purchaser willing to wait til cheque has cleared through your account & cant be reversed/cancelled/stopped. Cash is King!

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2014, 12:01:49 pm »
When I sold my last bike I had a legal paper drawn up for test rides that stated the bike was in 'as new' condition and any damage would mean they had bought the bike.
We would both sign the agreement and I would take their driving licence as proof of who they were and I had something to go to the police with if they didn't come back.
I had to do it that way as most people don't carry the kind of cash I was looking for for the bike. If it was a £2k bike, then I'd want cash in my hand.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2014, 06:14:09 pm »
Make sure they have insurance , if they don't and hurt somebody , you will be responsible . and insist on big cash deposit or car/bike keys , I took my wife and left her behind .

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2014, 06:34:33 pm »
or car/bike keys

I wouldn't even accept that, you never know if their bike/car isn't nicked.

Cold hard cash only as above ;)

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
I took my wife and left her behind .

A good trade?

All as above, when my brother sold his car he made sure the time of the selling was signed on both 'receipts', helps stop speed cameras etc.

It can get a bit confusing if they bring a mate or whatever, still take cash/ID (real) even if they suggest they just leave their mate - he could run faster than you!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2014, 07:10:02 pm »
on the subject of Receipts. I print a couple of copies of something like this off. Handier than anyone having to interpret my scrawl :lol

Basic Selling Contract

D4Delta

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2014, 07:40:17 pm »
Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I'm very grateful to you all.
 :)
David.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
No worries  8)

All the best with the sale.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.