Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:27 am

Author Topic: touring  (Read 4749 times)

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
touring
« on: 20 March 2014, 09:23:24 pm »

am i the only one thats sick of mates coming up with reasons why they cant head off touring cuz of families/money/women ? theres always something stopping them at this rate ill be a pensioner by the time i get a few of my mates ready to go "all at the same time " ,,be half tempted some days to fuck off on me todd sounds a bit "billy no mates"  ................ anybody have any experience with their trips or opinions on traveling alone ? madness/boring/sad ???....

please god let the sun keep shining

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: touring
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2014, 09:29:54 pm »
I choose to travel alone, stop when I want to, slow down when I want to, eat when I want to, stay longer if I want to.....struggling to find the negatives!

you do need to be content with your own company though!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2014, 09:33:31 pm »
Your mates are all pussys. But that's ok, because your not  :thumbup

And don't worry, most of my mates are pussys too. It took me to very nearly die before I got my bestie to come to the Nurburgring with me. I do not recommend such extreme action, but it sure gets results.

As to the solo-touring. I am just back from the lakes and dales, solo. I have toured the coast of Scotland (1200 miles on a 125cc), solo. And I try to go to the isle of Skye once a year with my tent and bike and do a couple of laps, erm, I mean coast round the island at legal speeds. Solo.

Touring with your mates is ace. But touring on your own is better than sitting at home pissed off reading about other people out there doing it.

GO FOR IT  :)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2014, 10:27:35 pm »
I choose to travel alone, stop when I want to, slow down when I want to, eat when I want to, stay longer if I want to.....struggling to find the negatives!

you do need to be content with your own company though!

Same boat as you Downey and have that same "i'm off" thought many a time. Reckon this go it alone approach would suit me! Any ideas for a first time solo welcomed - haven't toured in 20 yrs!

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2014, 10:40:04 pm »
my first tour was up the east side, round the top of, and home by the west coast of Scotland. done over five days, one ,man and a tent. since then done south west (cornwall/devon) and wales....no bad memories yet!

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2014, 10:42:43 pm »
Well I've never been touring out of this country but I have recently discovered the enjoyment of riding more than a 100 mile bimble. Its simple for me as I don't have any mates so I always go alone and I can please myself  :\
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2014, 10:48:17 pm »
brittany and normandy have been suggested for a first solo trip,but how cud ya stop with spain only down the road ha at least the chances of good weather is better there than scotland although in the right weather scotland is supposed to be class as well

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2014, 10:54:33 pm »
don't underestimate distances on the continent...france is a big country.....I would try uk tour first....try and go at short notice when the weather look settled, it's about enjoying the trip, not enduring it.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
Plus one for dickturpin. I dont plan to much so i love the freedom of going where and when i choose.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2014, 11:41:39 pm »

am i the only one thats sick of mates coming up with reasons why they cant head off touring cuz of families/money/women ?

I'm lucky if I can get my mates to meet up for a drink / food / movie let alone a tour!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2014, 11:58:51 pm »
Use to go to Magny[/color][/size]-[/color][/size]Cours for the last WSB race on my own ,just a long weekend was difficult to get anyone to go so late in the year.[/color][/size]Can't[/color][/size] travel solo now for health reasons damn pills [/color][/b] :'(
Its just a ride

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2014, 07:28:33 am »
my first ever tour was on my own,

flew easy jet  to Madrid, had a pre booked bike for 5 days,rode to Valecia,b and b, moto gp, fanastic on your own,,Madrid is awesome nightlife on your own,the locals so freindly.
do it
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2014, 07:57:41 am »
Do Vietnam. Seriously, I've done a few miles in that wonderfull country and it's both facinating and loadsa fun -and very easy going. North of Hanoi in the mountain areas around the Laos and Chinese borders is the pick of the tours. You can do it on your own no problem or use a guide with these people.

http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/vietnam-motorcycle-tours/d118/

Cost for a ten day trip inclusive of everything (flight, hotels, food, motorcycle hire) comes to just under £1000.

Trip of a lifetime, but you'll go back the next year for sure and your mates will want to come too.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2014, 08:27:24 am »
Go for it on your own , your mates are making excuses and your excuse is your mates , I did my first tour last year on my own to Scotland 1700 miles , I was worried a bit about being by myself  as I have been with my wife nearly 30 years , but she let me off for good behaviour ( she was probably glad to see the back of me  ) but I found people would come and have a chat anyway and were genuinely interested in what you were doing .
I would definitely go touring on my own , and in the next couple of years hope to do a Euro tour , and eventually Route 66 .

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2014, 08:49:17 am »
Go for it. I'm in the same boat. My mates all want to go flat out close to home. I'd rather get some miles on the clock and explore on the bike. Only mate that wants to come touring is making excuses fir not doing his test so it'll be on ma Todd this year up to Scotland. Plus like said above I also like winging it so would probably suit me more.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2014, 09:07:12 am »
12 years ago I had several mates who would come out riding at weekends. We were a mixed bunch but all in our early 50s-some with SWIMBOs, kids, most with jobs Mon-Fri. My partner rode with me for the 4 years we were together before she lost her battle with the dreaded cancer. After she died I took early retirement and now I have all the time in the world but, like Les72,mainly find myself riding solo these days. Have ridden Ireland on my own but didn't enjoy as much as riding in company. Have 2 younger friends one 38(female) the other 52(male) both on125s with L plates and their sense of adventure far exceeds the guys I used to ride with who have all either stopped riding or never want to go out unless I can guarantee them wall to wall sunshine!
Have come to believe that a lot of this ageing process is a state of mind-but its best to do things while we still can-thank God for bikes! :lol

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2014, 10:28:23 am »
I've travelled a lot alone but last year did a month away with my best mate.
Pro's and con's with both.
I think I prefer alone as I'm selfish and want to do, what I want to do, when I want to do it.
Travelling with company can be a bit like 'being married' after a few weeks, no matter how good the friend is, you'll be annoying each other by the end unless you both like to travel the same.
Go for it is my advice  :)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2014, 10:44:52 am »
brittany and normandy have been suggested for a first solo trip,but how cud ya stop with spain only down the road

Fukkin long road :lol

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2014, 10:48:52 am »
I don't have many biker mates and the ones that are bikers are sometimes busy which is fair enough. I was getting a bit fed up so decided to see if there was any local bike groups, found one that was not subscription/prospect type, basically guys who like bikes and want to do miles. We are out most Sundays plus any other nice days/nights and we organize trips away. Last year i done my first Euro tour with the guys, i must say i was happy to be with experienced euro riders, its not hard but nice to have just incase. I broke my euro tour cherry and am going away again this year.

I know groups are not for everyone and you can sometimes get some some folk you don't get along with but it has worked for me and i am glad to have done it. Happy to shoot off myself too though.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Done both, each has pros and cons, but the more people the more frustrated i seem to get as each person wants to do things differently stop at different times, go at different speeds, will/wont use motorways, etc etc.

As for planning, going on my own down through France, Italy to Malta then back through Italy, Austria, Germany,  but as I'm going peak time, last week July first week August, I'm booking most of my hotels. If I was going at other times I'd probably not book and trust to luck.

One Last comment, just fu*"ing do it you wont regret doing it either way but if on your own take lots of photos to piss your mates off when you get home  :D

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2014, 01:30:49 pm »
I 2nd the comment about not misjudging distance... 1st tour was mate and me on VFR400s. We decided to go to LeMans for the 24 hour race.
Rookie mistake 1. Dover - Calais ferry instead of Portsmouth - Cherbourgh. Mistake 2 - "it doesn't look that far" pointing at the Michelin map of France.

Solo touring is excellent fun. Did the great ocean road in Oz alone, on a Triumph TT. Allowed me the freedom to re do each sweet set of bends as many times as I wanted without worrying about "oh my mate must be worried i'm not in his mirrors!"

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2014, 06:16:56 pm »
Im going to focus on Wales this summer as its only an hour to the border from here-Plan to visit lots of lakes,mountain roads & of course the seaside! :sunhttp://foc-u.co.uk/Smileys/efocicon/sun.gif

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
  But touring on your own is better than sitting at home pissed off reading about other people out there doing it.

GO FOR IT  :)

Totally agree.  I did an organised tour last year and whilst it was great sharing the experience with others,  at some times it was a pain in the arse.

Since 2007 I've done all my tours solo. Each day checked the weather, and gone where I fancy, following a loose plan. One trip the destination was the Italian Dolomites, but ended up in northern Slovakia where the weather was better. Try doing that with a 'committee'.
A lot of Brits, Dutch and Germans tour on bikes, so there is always the chance of sharing a beer and experiences with another biker at the end of the day. In the past I've stayed mainly at hotels but this year will be camping more. Last weekend I had a bit of a shakedown trip with my new kit and soon ended up chatting with my neighbours. You get that more with camping I think.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2014, 10:25:39 pm »

am i the only one thats sick of mates coming up with reasons why they cant head off touring cuz of families/money/women ?

I'm lucky if I can get my mates to meet up for a drink / food / movie let alone a tour!
and all this time I've been thinking it just me
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2014, 10:28:07 pm »
cheers for all the advice/opinions and replys lads some really great info,,definitly leaning towards going solo now and leaning towards france/spain cuz of scenery/camping facilitys and weather  :sun  ......wales/scotland and the uk would be nice if you could garrantee the weather but all are similar gray cloudy crap like here in ireland,,,,,,,,,, oh and the potholes ,,,ill prob just organise it and if some mates come they come simple,,but ill be prepared to do it alone,,just me and the voices in me head :lol