Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:02 am

Author Topic: Garmin Zummo 350 vs TomTom Rider V5  (Read 16620 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin Zummo 350 vs TomTom Rider V5
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2014, 09:15:52 pm »
Any joy with that cradle mate?

shady

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB600F5 Hornet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2014, 10:02:50 pm »
Use  TomTom Rider V2 each time l go touring abroad and in the UK, never had a problem with it, mounting and charging. The only thing l would complain about is that l d say the screen wasnt bright enough and on a bright day makes seeing the screen difficult, while on a not so bright day in torrential rain days on end it worked fine  :D . Use a ram mount and an Interphone F4 bluetooth headset so taking calls, using the sat nav, rider to rider voice all work fine
Still got the Hornet ;-)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #27 on: 12 April 2014, 02:50:53 pm »
Any joy with that cradle mate?

I posted on my phone last night, but it seems not to have worked.

I emailed the retailer, who told me that I should deal with Garmin as my warranty is with them. I have now emailed Garmin and await my reply. I will keep you updated.

It is a bit of a pain because the thing is just sitting there. I want to fit it, now.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2014, 12:08:11 am »
Hope you get it sorted bud. I went for the 390 in the end, bought it today from tinklers yamaha in norwich for 350. It was twenty quid cheaper on amazon, but I'd rather give me dosh to a small business than one of the giant umbrella companies, and anyhoo for the sake of the cost of a tankful of gas if there is a prob Phil at tinklers will swap it. Hoping to get out with the missus and try it tomorrow

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #29 on: 13 April 2014, 07:00:47 am »
That's the game. Have a great ride mate. I'm sure it'll be fun. And you doing the winding road thing or planning a route with the base camp software in advance?
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 April 2014, 10:40:36 am »
Windy roads bud. I'm not all that with software though I'll have a crack later on this spring at it. Got a mate in cambs who needs some locks and stuff so we gonna hit that. I'm told garmin are pretty good with customer problems, hope that's the case and you get sorted pronto. We had a 550 before the 350, that was a solid bit of gear,  so this is our third bike specific garmin, they have always been pretty good.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2014, 10:56:33 am »
I got a reply from Garmin yesterday telling me that my warranty is still with the retailer (Thurgo.co.uk) as it is such a short time since purchase. I then called Thurgo and spoke to Perry. He said that he had the same problem with another customer and that I should send the mount back and they will replace it. Now why the hell did they not tell me that last week when I called the first time, rather than palming me off to Garmin? I am a bit pissed off as my new toy is not new anymore and it is just sitting there gathering dust. Thank for sucking the enjoyment out of the experience Thurgo... I will not be a return customer  :(

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2014, 01:53:05 pm »
Returning the problem to Garmin is standard procedure, dealers wont touch defective units/mounts.
Luckily Garmin service is second to none and youll get a new unit/cradle, whatever is defective...

On a side note, I see the 590LM is due out soon........I want!!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
The retailer is always responsible as the sale contract is with them .
 They can advise you to deal to the manufacturer (as it may speed up the issue) but they cant demand you do
Its just a ride

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
I have been using a car satnav in a bag for a while but when it died I got a second hand zumo 400. I mounted it over the clocks on my foxeye 600 this morning and reckon it looks pretty good. I didn't use the ram stuff just cut a couple of strips of aluminium and mounted the cradle straight onto them

Only issue is now with my autocom headset playing up but once I get a replacement headset I am in business. May consider updating the maps - but tbh my old satnav was 5 years old and I never had a problem.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2014, 11:25:06 pm »
Nice one.

My Garmin is in its temporary home...

Under the coffee table  :rolleyes

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 April 2014, 09:29:53 am »
Saw the 590lm on garmin site yesterday - mmmmmmmmmmm garrrrmin !

If it plays mp3's in stereo over bluetooth (no mention on website), then I'm hooked :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 April 2014, 11:08:43 am »
We thought about it, briefly, before going for the 390. The 590 is just too much money for me, and the 390 does all I want. As for music, that's already thoughtfully provided by one of the best litre lumps out there and a BOS end can... ;)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #38 on: 19 April 2014, 11:29:58 am »
Can you not multi-sync your headset with your phone and play Mp3 from there...

Also, a 5 inch screen will look a bit overkill on a bike imo. I think I will be able to "hide" the 390 as its quite compact. I will let y'all know as soon as I get to fit the foccer  :lol

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 April 2014, 12:38:19 pm »
Never thought about that, got a Schuberth Bluetooth system don't know if it would synch with a phone at the same time as a sat-nav. Anyhow I don't use my phone for music at the moment, battery life is the worry, particularly when on a euro tour, don't want my phone going flat while on the bike, just in case!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 April 2014, 01:00:59 pm »
I was going to fit it to the screen but it looks ok with the standard. Ram mount and sits nice and high right under me hooter with stock bars and risers

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 April 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
The big knob ( fnarr fnarr) is a garmin locking nut thingy me missus got me..think it was twelve quid off the bay, it's a big lump but works brilliantly to stop someone nicking the cradle when your bikes outside some village B and B in the south of France all night...you do it up, lock it and the knob just spins instead of catching. Good idea :)

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 April 2014, 01:22:38 pm »
Saw the 590lm on garmin site yesterday - mmmmmmmmmmm garrrrmin !

If it plays mp3's in stereo over bluetooth (no mention on website), then I'm hooked :)

It does  :)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #43 on: 19 April 2014, 08:22:49 pm »
Never thought about that, got a Schuberth Bluetooth system don't know if it would synch with a phone at the same time as a sat-nav. Anyhow I don't use my phone for music at the moment, battery life is the worry, particularly when on a euro tour, don't want my phone going flat while on the bike, just in case!

Fit a USB charger... I have one under the seat with a host of leads around the headstock. You can get marine (waterproof) ones off eBay for under a tenner. I could charge my laptop, if only I could find a way to mount it!

Seriousley though, I can charge my phone, my tomtom, my sportscam or anything else that fits onto the 3 types of USB connector I have fitted. 

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 April 2014, 11:40:46 am »
With the new MT-09 (arriving soon I hope!) I'm not going to wire in lots of gizmo's as I have previously like autocom, radios and nav.
I like the zumo's all in one system where you can easily control everything in one place with gloves on. So I will hardwire a Zumo cradle and that will be it.

Ogri, is the mount easily removable then? My old 550 cradle is bolted on. The knob is rather large - ooh errr missus!

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 20 April 2014, 02:24:19 pm »
Makes mine look very old fashioned - very smart. I get the idea of the knob but doesn't that just protect the cradle? Couldn't a tealeaf just help themselves to the satnav itself? Think I'm going to add a bracket to the top of mine to keep mine bolted on - Lee shaped from mount over the locking mechanism. 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 April 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
Yup mate the knob just protects the cradle. I'd never leave the sat. Nav unit itself innit for a minute, that just clips out. Another reason I prefer the zumo over the tom tom, though the screen is the same size the tom tom is slimmer and easier to slip into a pocket.
Never had a sat nav til last year, but wouldn't be without one now. I do like the way it maps the road ahead out for as your riding, it's kinda handy on unfamiliar roads in the dark. And the twisty roads option does actually work, I'd recommend that.