Date: 25-04-24  Time: 05:54 am

Author Topic: Help fitting chain  (Read 3935 times)

Ian

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Help fitting chain
« on: 26 December 2011, 11:55:40 am »
Hope everyone had a good Xmas.

Had a bit of trouble riveting the "soft link" on my new chain. After hours of using what muscles I have I broke my chain riveter and although I caused an indentation on the ends of the soft links it was not enough to stop me being able to push the link straight back through.

The link is not hollow and I really can't see how any tool could cause it to flare enough to be safe. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of buying a different soft link that is easier to flare.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Photo shows the unflared pins!

Ian

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Help fitting chain
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2011, 01:18:52 pm »
I think I've worked it out. My riveting tool only has the fitment for hollow links and not solid links. It might have been nice if the tool instructions had pointed that out!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2011, 05:39:23 pm »
Ian,  ive got some proper tools to do that job wth ease but i dont know where you are in the country! if your local to Derby id be happy to come and do it for you FOC .

Dave  :)

paul.s

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2011, 05:56:00 pm »
if you get some one to hold a hammer head against the oposite side of the link then if you assemble the link and then centre punch the ends af the link with a centre punch thats what i did the last time worked a treat

Silverdream

• Weekend Warrior
  • Live it - Ride it..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2011, 07:04:33 pm »
if you get some one to hold a hammer head against the oposite side of the link then if you assemble the link and then centre punch the ends af the link with a centre punch thats what i did the last time worked a treat

Ditto... as quote... just whacked with centre punch an large hammer on other side... sweet

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2011, 08:49:09 pm »
i had new chain & sprockets fitted not long ago, & above is how the guy did mine. he held a hammer against the oposite end of link then just peened the end of the link over with another hammer.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

i took my chain to my local bike mechanic and he joined it for me, free of charge. i then took it home and fitted it. simple.
is it clean enough?

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2011, 05:28:38 pm »

i took my chain to my local bike mechanic and he joined it for me, free of charge. i then took it home and fitted it. simple.

Yeah but you can only fit a joined chain if you take the swingarm out  ;) 

Ian

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2011, 06:20:15 pm »
Ian,  ive got some proper tools to do that job wth ease but i dont know where you are in the country! if your local to Derby id be happy to come and do it for you FOC .

Dave  :)

Thanks Dave - I am quite a way from you in Cambridge unfortunately. I have ordered a hollow link and will try that as it should be a lot easier. Not sure about the hammer solution as knowing me I will hit something expensive (not difficult given Yamaha spares prices).

Cheers
Ian

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2011, 03:03:44 am »
I had this problem a while back, i am lucky in that my local shop is pretty good and have been loyal to them for a long time (since i was 16 and im now 40 :P ) they lent me a rivit tool that looked like it was from the ark but worked a treat where as the one i brought from a dealer broke in seconds.

I did of course give them a few drinks for the loan and was realy greatfull to them. affter i spoke to them it turns out it is a common problem with some modern chains where the split link is much harder than is needed and he has heard of many broken tools.
Tashi or something i think that chain was that i had the problem with. or at least it began with a t im sure.
if your close to a friendly place they will normaly fit the link for a couple quid if you push the bike there

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2011, 09:47:42 am »
I remember breaking a chain tool under similar circumstances ! In the end I took my chain to local bike shop, they fitted the link, and I fitted the chain( I had the swing arm out for maintenance).
TBH I do wonder if its worth just getting  a good bike shop to fit the chain and pay them to do it.? I always think there are jobs which I have the tools/ skill/ time to do myself and make a decent job of...and times when I pay a professional.My theory is if I like to do a job I will make it a good job. and vice versa.
Having said that , it can be very rewarding to strip yer bike down, give it a good clean, then put back together again.