Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:46 pm

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 3129 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Spark Plugs
« on: 02 March 2014, 03:15:09 pm »
How often are we changing spark plugs bike I have just bought has 10k miles on.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2014, 04:02:49 pm »
Take em out, have a look, clean em up and put em back in if they're ok.
I know people who've done 50k on a set of plugs, they were proper knackered when he swapped em though:o
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2014, 04:22:06 pm »
15k for me....ngk available for £14 delivered at the moment so just done mine!

tc330

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ktm950sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2014, 04:43:11 pm »
I ran a Kawasaki z750s for 132,000 miles and changed the plugs twice at 60,000 and 120,000. I only changed because the bike was a little more reluctant to start, and fuel consumption increased from 54mpg to 50mpg. In other words, I noticed a change. They were NGK Iridium plugs.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2014, 05:53:19 pm »
I do it as the owners manual , clean and check gaps at 6k and replace at 12k .

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
Thanks lads thought it would be around 10/15k that was what I was changing out my Z1000SX at
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2014, 02:19:03 pm »
Due to change the spark plugs on my Gen 1 very soon, had a look at Pats motorcycle page forra few tips, cylinders 2 and 3 look to be a bit awkward to get at, any tips or advice off folks on here?, considering taking off radiator for easier access or is this not needed?, I'm not the most mechanically minded person in the world so any advice is appreciated.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2014, 03:52:43 pm »
No need to take off the radiator , I would remove the tank rather than prop it , there is not a lot of room to get to the middle plugs but it's doable , use the spark plug spanner in the tool kit under the seat . , rather than a wrench with a load of extension bars .
Due to change the spark plugs on my Gen 1 very soon, had a look at Pats motorcycle page forra few tips, cylinders 2 and 3 look to be a bit awkward to get at, any tips or advice off folks on here?, considering taking off radiator for easier access or is this not needed?, I'm not the most mechanically minded person in the world so any advice is appreciated.

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2014, 10:10:33 am »
No need to take off the radiator , I would remove the tank rather than prop it , there is not a lot of room to get to the middle plugs but it's doable , use the spark plug spanner in the tool kit under the seat . , rather than a wrench with a load of extension bars .
[/quote[size=78%]][/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Cheers mate, thanks for tip.[/size]

Yamrider

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
Bought my 2007 fz1-s last june. Just fitted full set of plugs as part of a full service i'm doing on it. It only has 9200 miles but i didn't have much service history when i bought it so feel happier knowing it has new plugs. There was nothing wrong with them. Had to lower the rad to allow access to the centre 2 but it is doable. I agree with the comment about the spark plug spanner in the yamaha tool bag, worked ok for me.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2014, 08:13:03 pm »

If you've got the time I'd really recommend taking the AIS out, makes changing the plugs (or checking etc) much easier and it isn't much work at all.

I got a kit from a member here - Justy, not sure if he's still doing them though.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2014, 11:24:00 am »
As above, dump the AIS system, then it's easy.

You can buy AIS removal kits or put your own together.  Just make sure that if you decide to tap AIS ports (or you can cap them) on the manifold make sure you buy a proper quality tap for the job.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/airinductionsystemremoval.html