Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:02 am

Author Topic: driving test - car  (Read 6574 times)

MurphySG

• Foc-u Bookworm
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
driving test - car
« on: 22 December 2011, 06:04:10 am »
what tests do they have to take?  in what order?  how many lessons starting from scratch? would you recommend an intensive course?
ta very much  :D

MurphySG

• Foc-u Bookworm
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: driving test - car
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2011, 06:06:39 am »
Oh! and how on earth do you choose an instructor???

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2011, 08:11:41 am »

at present!

you have to take a theory then a practicle test
the theory is in two parts taken at the same time
the highway code and the hazard perception test
highway code is multiple guess 35 questions and you have to score 31/35 (i believe)
hazard perception test is a video and you click the mouse when you observe when you percieve the hazard to occour, not on the hazard just register the fact you have seen it!
I believe you have to score 70%
(IMHO if you are already a rider/driver ie retaking test after a ban etc) this is actually harder as you anticipate a lot further in advance)

the practicle test hasn't changed much its a eye test (read that number plate over there) check oil water etc then its a short drive with various manooveurs which we all know about

number of lessons depends on whether you have had any road experience ie biker/moped but they normally say about 20/30 ish

choosing an instructer...... thats a hard one ,,, best is personal recomendation!! I personally would go for a well established independant one rather that BSM/ RED/ AA as again my opinion only,,, these are people that have decided on a career change done the training and then need to get a foot on the ladder... also check that they are fully qualified. ask them when they qualified , if they wont tell you walk away

Intensive courses again depends on your experience. they will cost about the same as 20 lessons but if you already have been driving for a while n never got to taking a test then ok but i would not advice it for a 17 year old newbie!!

good luck

what area do you live in? I know some good ones in Nottingham area,,

& fyi i failed my last driving test because I argued with the examiner!!! luckily it was a test to become an examiner and it didnt affect legal status!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2011, 08:15:32 am »
I could have just posted this link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/index.htm

Doh!!  :rollin :b :o

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2011, 08:23:17 am »
 :agree

Finding an instructor is best done by word of mouth with recommendations from friends etc. My eldest started driving last week. His first professional two hour lesson went well. The instructor said he was much better than most with road positioning and understanding teh road etc than most so they managed to do more than other first timers. I put this down to riding his moped for a year.

Personally I never had any lessons, took my test 3 weeks after my 17th birsthday and failed on going through an amber light. The instructor didnt see teh tw@t on teh back bumper of my (dad's) car meaning it was safer for me to continue than to stop but you cannot argue with them. Second test was a breeze.

I have pre-paid for 10 hours for my son but he also has his own car which I am taking him out in for practice. So far he has been OK but I am leaving the instructor to teach him things like the manouvers, I am just there for the practice part with a bit of guidance.

As with Robbie, I wouldnt suggest an intensive course for someone with no road experiance as it is experience they need just as I dont recommend DAS for young riders :pokefun

Just need to badger my son to go through the theory test DVD I bought him and get him to book his. The problem then is he cannot afford to insure his car as a newly qualified driver.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2011, 09:23:35 am »
my eldest son passed his test when he was 17 and then went on to do the pass plus, which I think is a good move as it teaches motorway driving etc, we thought that that would help reduce insurance costs but all the insurers said he had to held the licence for a year before any reductions!! but insurance has been done to death in other topics!!

definately agree that if a person has riden a moped /  bike they have a lot more road sense!

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2011, 11:29:39 am »
Now where's Lum when you need him???
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2011, 12:20:44 pm »
I chose my instructor based on the car he used  :o

Advice wise I'd say get the theory test done ASAP as you can't book the practical without it. The waiting time for the practical test was 2-3 months when I was learning so you could end up with a gap or paying lessons you don't need.
Don't book your practical test then find an instructor.
Don't pay for a bock until you've had a couple of lessons to decide if you like the car/instructor.
I had a 2 hour lesson at the same time every week which I think is a good idea if you can afford it and have the time. You're probably going to out in the car for an hour or so before the test so it makes sense to get used to concentrating on driving properly for that long.
thou shalt not kick

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2011, 01:42:58 pm »

I had a 2 hour lesson at the same time every week which I think is a good idea if you can afford it and have the time.

i would say be carefull what time you learn to drive as tests are during the day so all evening learning can lull you into false sense of traffic. also avoid peak traffic times or you will end up with half the time stuck in queues!!

is it for a teenage lad or girl? be carefull of getting opposite sex instuctors! if you haven't been recommended them be aware of sexual harrassment for girls or young lads with youngish female instructors!!

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2011, 06:43:06 pm »
I agree choose instructor by recommendation, disagree about BSM, RED etc as good or bad as anyone else just maybe more expensive.
Instructors are not inherently sexual predators so ignore the opposite sex advice unless the pupil will feel comfier with one or the other.
How many hours? piece of string really, make a start and then they will have a better idea.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2011, 01:20:46 am »
Theory test is now 50 questions, not 35.

The DSA have a selection of books out that are a MUST read for any tests.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-DSA-Guide-Driving-Essential/dp/0115531343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324603023&sr=1-1

The more you know, the better, as always.

I did 2 2hour lessons a week, without anything to practice on. If you can practice in someones car, then do. It really REALLY helps.

You really need between 20 and 40 hours in a car to be 'test ready' and then once you pass, then you start properly learning to drive.

Good luck.

:-)

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2011, 10:57:27 am »
I think just doing a lesson a week is the expensive way to do it as you'll need far more lessons, cheaper and quicker to just drive as often as possible.  I've done the same with my daughter and my wife.  They've both got their own cars, had a couple of lessons and then driven with me at every available opportunity (which can be very scary at times!).  Daughter passed her test first time after only 6 lessons with an instructor but she was driving at least an hour every day in between times.  She also only had the first couple of lessons in her instructors car, after that used her own for lessons and the test.  That way she was learning and practicing in the same car and wasn't having to learn a different car as well as how to drive.

Doing the same with my wife.  She has a licence from a non-EU country but hasn't driven for a few years.  Got her a car and she had about 6 lessons with an instructor and has since been driving her car with me in it.  It took her ages to get through the theory due to English not being her first language but since passing that she took her test a couple of weeks ago.  She failed it but not on anything too serious, following too close (over-confidence) and not using her left mirror to check for cyclists before turning left (I think that if a cyclist comes up the inside of a car indicating to turn left they deserve everything they get!).  Now she's done it once and knows what to expect, I don't think she'll have any problem next time.

The pass rate is 40 something % so I suspect that the majority fail first time but don't have a problem next time once they know what to expect and what the examiner is looking for.

MurphySG

• Foc-u Bookworm
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2011, 12:15:37 pm »
Thanks very much  for all the input. Absolutely take the points re driving in my/ their own car, but as we live in central London and there are 3 of them (4 when my son turns 17 in March) the insurance costs are prohibitive... in fact they are prohibitive for even one of them!

Any recommendations for driving instructors near to Hackney/ Islington; Greenwich; Sheffield and Norwich (three are at uni and in halls) will be gratefully received.

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2011, 12:22:49 pm »
Driving in central London is not fun. . . . . . .

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2011, 08:28:28 am »
Just a quick point about instructors(being an ex instructor, gave up it drove me mad)if you can't get a recommendation, which as others have pointed out is the best way, ask them when their last check test was, and what mark did they achieve. Unless they've changed it they mark 1 to 6, 6 being the best mark.

The bit about same sex instructors is a bit insulting, the majority of my pupils were girls(which I preferred because they listened to me and didn't try to tell me how to drive unlike the lads)and I didn't spend the hour trying to get in their knickers.
Onwards and Upwards

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2011, 03:45:26 pm »

The bit about same sex instructors is a bit insulting, the majority of my pupils were girls(which I preferred because they listened to me and didn't try to tell me how to drive unlike the lads)and I didn't spend the hour trying to get in their knickers.

didn't wish to insult anyone all I can say from 4 ladies I have known (but must say all were mature divorcee's) that their instructors made at least 1 pass at them! I will also say that all but 1 of them appologised but was I only making a point!

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2011, 04:44:30 pm »
I know you didn't mean to insult anyone Robbie, I think I just had the needle that day.

I can't help it, I just hate christmas
Onwards and Upwards

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2011, 06:10:52 am »
hey, i passed my driving test about 6 years ago now,

Instructor wise you need word of mouth, the instructor i had was indeed as some have mentioned a slight perve ("ooo thats not the gear stick... stop trying to touch me up") but i knew him from my local at the time and just told him to shut it....
he was an amazing instructor... passed myself 4 of my cousins and 7 of my friends all first time in under 20 lessons....i only needed 13 lessons with him but ended up having a couple more due to my test getting cancelled...

as for thoery tests.... go on amazon (other websites/shops are available) and get yourself the most up tp date DSA theory test pack... one that includes the hazard perception too....(usually around £9) and updated every September....
when i did my theory for car and bike i had about 3 questions that i had not seen before... all the rest i had practiced on the CD.

as for companies.... my instructor was AA yet was only in a Franchised vehicle.... my Ex was with RED and again it was the same thing... got lesson cheaper.... yet my current missus was with private self employed instructor but seems to be doing ok although (to me) was a little more expensive

Anywhhhooo.... ive babble on a bit with my 2cents so  :z

Ride It Like You've Stole It

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2011, 06:16:06 pm »
If its North Sheffield I can recommend an excellent instructor based near Barnsley.

I'll ask about Sheffield more also
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
my vote would be pack them off to lum for a week :)
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

MurphySG

• Foc-u Bookworm
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 January 2012, 06:30:18 am »
thanks Jacko