Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:31 am

Author Topic: BROKEN SPARK PLUG !  (Read 4552 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
BROKEN SPARK PLUG !
« on: 18 December 2011, 04:36:48 pm »
Ayup, i noticed the other day when i started the bike up it ran erratic ie miss firing it had done this previously but seemed to clear it self once warm, so put it down to the fact im not using the bike and the fact its been in pieces, however this time it did not clear so i thought id remove plugs and 1 2 3 fine no 4 turned and turned without any resistance ie only finger tight and when i pulled the plug socket out this came out .

The plug leaving the thread in the head oh shit this is going to be expensive was my 1st thought, however i was thinking as there is no plug to tighten up, the thread should be easy to unwind unless its been cross-threaded! so i found a torx bit the same inner diameter as the plug thread left in the head and being a torx bit the edges on the bit was nice and sharp, so with torx on extension and the lightest tap with the hammer i felt it sit into the thread part and set about unwinding it out, it also came out with the little washer so i was well chuffed to say the least, i changed all the plugs with new iredium ones just to be 100% and its fine now however cant think why the plug snapped unless they was tightened to much by previous owner as i did not fit em and have never touched em  :\

Dave  :)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: BROKEN SPARK PLUG !
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2011, 04:46:12 pm »
I bet that was a seriously pleasant moment when it came out!!

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2011, 05:34:02 pm »
I bet that was a seriously pleasant moment when it came out!!

after sitting there with my head in my hands  :'( thinking oh sh1t this is going to be major and ill need to strip top end off, and so when my little removal method worked a treat it felt really good as it would have played on my mind and caused me sleepless nights  :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2011, 06:04:12 pm »
Whoah! Joy, relief, serious exhalation etc etc.

See, this is what happens when you spend too much time tinkering and not enough time throttling.

This from the bloke who lobbed his off the centrestand playing musical shock absorbers. ;)

Glad that it came out right in the end, mate.  Literally. :)

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2011, 07:21:24 am »
Wow! Great job in getting THAT out.....  :eek

We hear a LOT about plugs breaking like this lately - my fitter is anal about using a torque wrench to do them up and I used to rag him. Won't now.  :D

I think the settings are stupid low - maybe 9 n/m or something like that! That is hard to jugde without a wrench.
On the Gas! :stop

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2011, 07:45:24 am »
used to have  a rule of thumb... screw em in hand tite, then 1/8 to 1/4 turn max to nip up... ;)

but yeah...use a torque wrench !  :lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2011, 12:31:43 pm »
i have sen many stripped threads over the years as a kid where friends were heavy handed doing them up but have never seen one break like that before  :eek

i was so shocked by it i just went outside with a clamp and spanner to break it off. took a fair preasure on the 2 i tried first but the 3rd broke with allmost no preasure at all (4th i took a hammer to  :evil ) , kinda worrying to say the least

i have allways done them up as pit said, 1/8 - 1/4 turn affter finger tight. was told that many moons ago by the local shop and its stood me in good stead.

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
Wow you lucky ........ Very clever to think of the torx bit.  Your luck must be in just in time for Xmas. Have a happy and safe one. Mike
Mike Lockyer

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2011, 06:38:39 pm »
I can only think it may have had a airline fracture and i disturbed it from pulling the plugs leads off a couple times for the removal of the rocker cover(powder coated) and the AIS removal as the lead caps was quite firmly on and id not touched the plugs before hand so cant own up to that one.

Dave  :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2011, 11:04:14 pm »
Same thing happened to me years ago when i bought a tdm 850 heap of sh*t for £150 :'( . I still have the plug in the garage. I tried to loosen it and it just started turning. I used the normal force to slacken and it felt like it 'let go' |If i get some time i will take a pic and post it. It broke in the exact same place as yours. |It was a new plug that i fitted a few weeks before and was taking out to have a look at the colour (plug chop), as it ran like a pile of poo :lol  Sold the bike for £100!
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2011, 11:19:14 am »
Wow that is a bit of a heart stopper.

Very well done on your solution to a potentially tricky situation.

The force was obviously with you  :thumbup
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....