Date: 24-04-24  Time: 06:57 am

Author Topic: advice on crash responsibility  (Read 25251 times)

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: advice on crash responsibility
« Reply #50 on: 10 February 2014, 04:07:14 pm »
If that is accurate sounds like a 50/50. However, as you were on the main road, surely the onus is on the driver pulling out from the minor road to check that it is safe to do so. The fact that other vehicles had stopped to allow him to pull out is imho [/size]irrelevant[/color][/size], that is a courtesy gesture, it is still his responsibility that it is safe to do so,, and it clearly wasn't![/color]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 February 2014, 06:16:39 pm »
I had a brief chat with a solicitor. In short they said as the claim isn't for injuries it wouldn't be cost effective to use them but did say something similar

A. The drivers version of events doesn't seem as credible due to the damage
B. I didn't fall off which supports me either not moving or at least moving very slowly
C. There should be a greater responsability on the car driver to ensure that the main road is clear of other traffic then there is for a vehicle on the main road to allow for traffic crossing give way lines.

They did say it was unlikely I'd get 100% but I wonder if I can swing this a bit more in my favour

Grandma

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 February 2014, 05:21:21 am »
I had a brief chat with a solicitor. In short they said as the claim isn't for injuries it wouldn't be cost effective to use them but did say something similar

A. The drivers version of events doesn't seem as credible due to the damage
B. I didn't fall off which supports me either not moving or at least moving very slowly
C. There should be a greater responsability on the car driver to ensure that the main road is clear of other traffic then there is for a vehicle on the main road to allow for traffic crossing give way lines.

They did say it was unlikely I'd get 100% but I wonder if I can swing this a bit more in my favour
Hope so, worth fighting for, as we tend to be treated as the underdogs, game of bluff and counter bluff, trying to persuade you to back off.
[/size][/color]Over the years have battled on through a few claims when I have been knocked off and always won through, though sometimes it felt as if I was battering my head against a brick wall![/font] :wall

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 February 2014, 01:09:09 pm »
Further phone call with my insurance company and I'm feeling more hopeful.

From their last email to me

"Having had time to review all the relevant information to hand. I have come to the decision that we will continue to push for the full 100% liability."
[/size][/color]
[/size]"[/color][/size]more and more claims are settling in the favour of the filtering motorcycle and I feel we have a good case to continue with our stance that the emerging third party vehicle has a higher degree of care"[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I'm sticking to my argument that if I hit them[/color]
[/size]A. I wouldn't have stayed on the bike[/color]
[/size]B. The damage wouldn't be to my brake disc[/color]

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 February 2014, 01:51:21 pm »
looks like good news ! if it does go 100% in your favour , make sure you get a letter stating full cost regained from third party

I beleive ( please check) your insurers cant then load your policy as long as they get 100% of the costs back as it is the equivilaint of not cliaming !

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 February 2014, 08:08:13 pm »
Something like this you gotta step back and think 'what if this happened to a cyclist, would it unquestionably be the car drivers fault or would they point blame to the cyclist!?'
So why think differently about a motorbike???
Some say...

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 February 2014, 08:37:36 pm »
Something like this you gotta step back and think 'what if this happened to a cyclist, would it unquestionably be the car drivers fault or would they point blame to the cyclist!?'
I think the comp claim for personal injuries would but as you don't have an insurance company (normally) few people would persue the claim in court for what is really fairly minor damage.

When I got knocked of my push bike the driver drove off when I asked for their insurance details

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 February 2014, 09:45:43 pm »
When I got knocked of my push bike the driver drove off when I asked for their insurance details
I hope you was able to get the license!

My point is if a cyclist was sensibly either filtering on the inside of traffic or to the right of traffic (which they do) and a car pulled out in the same circumstances I doubt it would be questioned and blame would be pushed into the car driver for not looking properly, change the cyclist for a motorbike and all of a sudden we're expected to accept part of the blame for others poor use of observation!
« Last Edit: 11 February 2014, 09:46:46 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #58 on: 12 February 2014, 12:18:22 am »
Good news! I hope you get 100% :thumbup

Grandma

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 13 February 2014, 11:26:15 am »
Good news! I hope you get 100% :thumbup
Keep pushing for it! :) [/size][/color]well done, bit of a roller coaster of emotions but worth it[/font]

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 13 February 2014, 11:36:42 am »
Finally got chance to ask the guy at work - his claim went 50/50 :-(

Fingers crossed you do better than that!

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 13 February 2014, 12:49:28 pm »
Thanks for checking

I'm quite prepared to take it to court if my insurance company are. I've spoken to a few people who have all agreed what she's claiming doesn't add up plus her partner told me they had a witness which they've never offered.

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14 April 2014, 11:35:26 am »
Just a quick updated (or rather lack there of) regarding this.

Both sides are still pushing 100% on the other side with no movement. I have been told that her car has been repaired with the their insurance company coughing up £349.40 towards the cost which they want back from me.

I've said I'm willing to go to court as I (possibly naively) believe that I can argue that had I been moving I would have fallen off.

Given the fairly low cost involved I'm expecting to pay any costs to avoid loosing no claims

Any advice on what I should do?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 14 April 2014, 12:28:32 pm »
Can't really offer any help, but have just read all this and from the sounds of things it's 100% their fault for driving over a give way line into moving traffic.  Hope you get it all sorted  :)

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 14 April 2014, 12:55:22 pm »
I don't know if there's anything to be gained by calling the driver. Given the lies they made up at the start I'm inclined not to.

They guy I spoke to today didn't sound hopeful of a 100% but did give me the impression the split shouldn't be 50/50 as I was on the main road.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 14 April 2014, 01:07:58 pm »
Iknow I've already mentioned this But worth adding to your argument the driver coming from the side road should be treating the offside of the car stopping for him as the new give way line and before committing to pull out from this new line should check way is clear both left and right.  Would it be your fault had you been coming from the left.

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 14 April 2014, 01:27:53 pm »
I think I made that argument.

my side did sound a bit more keen when I mentioned there's a level crossing at the bottom of the road and I can turn off before that. This seemed to add weight to my point that I didn't go around a car that stopped to let someone out at a junction (as they were suggesting) but going past a line of already stationary traffic.

snapper

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 14 April 2014, 06:19:02 pm »
I think there hoping youll b ack down as if you lose you most likely have to pay for there costs as well ( check this)  at least £175.00 an hour
 is you insurance going to cover this ? I am amazed at this ! to me its clear cut 100% their fault

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 15 April 2014, 09:05:26 am »
I've been told the sticky bit is that they are claiming I was overtaking at a junction.

As I haven't repaired by SR yet I'm not even sure I have a claim against them, this just seems to be for their damage.

cfoley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15 April 2014, 11:01:46 am »
Given the fairly low cost involved I'm expecting to pay any costs to avoid loosing no claims

No claims isn't all that. Go on one of the comparison sites and fill it in with the claim. Try with and without NCB and see what difference it makes.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15 April 2014, 11:21:29 am »
I am amazed at this ! to me its clear cut 100% their fault

Just playing devil's advocaat, but there's probably a car forum somewhere saying its 100% the bikes fault for riding into them.

The problem is its your word against there's, and taking this to court would require some evidence to sway in your favour. Without any it comes down to who can afford the better legal team unfortunately.

Don't wish to sound negative, just be realistic in how the incident is viewed by those who weren't there.

This is a good example of why I now always ride with a helmet camera on. Might look a tad daft but any incidents like this and you have your proof.

Hope it goes ok for you though.

snapper

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 15 April 2014, 12:42:07 pm »
it comes down to who can afford the better legal team unfortunately

as much as it pains me I do feel your right

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15 April 2014, 02:57:54 pm »
it comes down to who can afford the better legal team unfortunately

as much as it pains me I do feel your right
I think you will be right, or if not which legal team would back down first. I don't think my side would take it to court though.

with the 125 I'm planning to keep for bad knee days/heavy traffic it doesn't seem to matter. It added £100 for the fazer and silly amounts for car policies that are bothered by bike claims.

when I contacted the police to see if I needed to report it the lady mentioned there'd been cases where people had thought they'd been let out then have someone crash into them as a scam which has put recent emphasis on it being the responsibility of the car emerging to ensure it's safe.

If it did go to court I think it would be easy to get an anti biker person who sees it as a bike overtaking at a junction or someone who believes I would have come off had I been moving and the damage is inconsistent with their story. Clearly someone at the insurance company reviewed the detailed and changed from saying 50/50 to 100% in my favor (and said the trend is getting better for bikers in such cases )

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15 April 2014, 08:10:17 pm »

I had a similar incident about ten years back... passing a stationary queue of traffic, a car stopped to let a car out from a side turning on the right, I slowed right down and when I was alongside the car at the front decided the driver of the car in the side turning wasn't about to emerge since she'd had ample time to a) see me and b) start her manoeuvre. At which point she accelerated out across the road.
We came to a halt simultaneously, with my radiator wrecked by her front wing. >:
Despite having priority and being on my side of the road I gave up on claiming it was entirely her fault since I had been overtaking at a junction and had no witnesses. So in the end it went 50:50.
Oddly, she claimed I'd been overtaking up the inside (in the cycle lane)... I never figured out whether she concocted that story as an excuse as to why she couldn't see me, or if she genuinely thought that was what had happened. :rolleyes

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16 April 2014, 11:17:33 am »
Had I not come to a complete stop with my foot down I'd have taken 50/50
Even had they not lied to me when I called them I'd have just suggested we live with cosmetic damage and bought a second hand disc.

If they had offered 70/30 on the basis that I may not have stopped in line with the car that had left the gap I'd have accepted this but that's not on the table and I'm unwilling to suggest that as it may be seen as me cracking first.

On the bright side it encouraged me to post here and I've learnt a lot, not just in this thread but about biking in general and the lovely FZS600