Date: 18-04-24  Time: 16:02 pm

Author Topic: Some advantage in being one of the terminally skint?  (Read 8984 times)

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Some advantage in being one of the terminally skint?
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2014, 04:33:37 pm »
@ Nick Crisp :  :rollin :rollin

@ Fazersharp: Now that's uncanny.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2014, 06:28:44 pm »
[quote .msg123244#msg123244 date=1390739473]The real reason for the outage is that the bank was hacked-  and all our info was taken, - but the hack wasnt the "server issue" that was the bank shutting it down when they found out about the hack, and then once they realised the extent of what had been taken they implemented the restristions a month later in November. 

Have you got any evidence of that?

I dont need any
And now another one at lloyds tsb on the very same day as I warned you
[/quote]

So no evidence of hacking then.
Do you think each time a bank has a computer system issue it is down to 'hacking'?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2014, 07:37:59 pm »
Do you think each time a bank has a computer system issue it is down to 'hacking'?
  YES   What kind of micky mouse system are they running, we are told its a server error and we swallow it like sheep.  "swamp gas"
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2014, 09:33:30 pm »
  YES   What kind of micky mouse system are they running, we are told its a server error and we swallow it like sheep.  "swamp gas"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25914013

Lloyds Banking Group serves about 30 million customers and is the largest retail banking group in the UK. TSB has about five million UK customers and is in the process of being split from Lloyds Banking Group.

TechUK, a trade body for a number of technology companies, said: "It is now widely acknowledged that the technology infrastructure across many financial institutions is exceptionally complex, to the point where it no longer serves many banks, it hinders them.

I've no idea about TBS/Lloyds internal systems, but if a server running a network controller whose job is to route traffic to their different mainframes at different computer centres breaks that would explain why some ATMs were ok, some weren't.

Banks computer systems have been having outages for years. These days its more high profile due to social media like twitter. A lot of people rely on a card more than good old cash. No backup.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2014, 10:25:10 pm »
So you trust the banks and you beleive all you are told by the mainstream meidia
Baaa Baaaa
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #30 on: 28 January 2014, 12:20:31 am »
So you trust the banks and you beleive all you are told by the mainstream meidia

How about the Tech Media? From The Register:

[...] the group’s IT infrastructure is a known to be a patchwork of dated systems cobbled together through acquisitions over recent years of other banks.

The Lloyds core customer system that handles main payments is a Unisys system dating from the 1980s. Operations at Halifax, Bank of Scotland (HBOS) and TSB have now also been converged on this system.

The ATMs across the group are known to be provided by NCR, which is understood to also run the network.

However, IT chiefs are now breaking up the IT system as TSB spins out of Lloyds to become a “new” bank.

The group has also slashed IT jobs and sent them packing to India in waves of restructuring. It outsourced 593 positions in March 2012 and a further 200 in January 2013.

Chris Skinner, chairman of the Financial Services Club, who in the past has warned of an increased risk of IT-related outages striking banks and financial institutions, told The Reg the Lloyds crash was the latest example of dated systems being overstretched.

“They expose all the back end systems to the stresses and strains of payment in a mobile business age. These systems were built for overnight batch updates,” he said.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 January 2014, 12:42:13 am »
This doesn't surprise me at all, I've seen this in practice in a few companies I've worked for where dated systems are patched to try and work beyond the scope of their inception.

Unfortunately, this is also happening to me :( Clients are great at demanding systems to perform tasks that they original didn't ask for in their spec, so it ends as something that needs to patched in...

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 February 2014, 06:27:09 pm »
So what do we reckon about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-25986699

FSO spokesman Martyn James said he could not comment on Mrs Parkinson's case but added that any complaint was dealt with on a case-by-case basis.He said the scam had been "convincing" and called for action by both telecoms companies to remedy the flaw in hanging up phone lines and banks to enforce more checks on large money transfers.

Should there have been more restrictions to prevent all the money going in one go?

She was extremely naive and was extremely lucky Barclays actually gave her the money back. Did Barclays trace where the money went and managed to get it back I wonder.