Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:53 am

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505184 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #1200 on: 13 February 2016, 09:24:57 am »
Went to see the new Dad's Army film this evening... :'( :'( :'(

I already have my idea of what it will be like, but what was your verdict?

I found it very disappointing.

I really like the original show and I did try to view the new movie with an open mind, trying not to compare the characters too much with the old cast, but I found that's inevitable (and therefore disappointing).

The old storyline of Mainwaring removing his spectacles and consequently stumbling around gets used a lot and the ending was a bit OTT.

Overall I would give it 1* out of 5.

I work in the industry, and obviously see the amount of time and effort that can go into films, but i'm also known at work to be one of the harshest critics ever.
I appreciate everyone has their own personal opinion on everything in life, which i totally respect, as people will inevitably have different tastes, but in truthfulness the moment i heard the new Captain Mainwarings voice i immediately shouted out "That's gonna be shit!"
Exactly the same response as when i went to see Carry On Columbus years ago. There are some things you simply cannot bring back to life.
Back in the day we had some real unintentional gems, with totally raw acting where people would stumble and fumble through their career making them priceless in this day and age.
We don't have anyone even close to the likes of Sid James, Charles Hawtrey or Kenneth Williams to make us laugh out loud any more, it's all about rude and crude now which is a real shame.  :\
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: 13 February 2016, 10:04:04 am »

I already have my idea of what it will be like, but what was your verdict?

I found it very disappointing.

I really like the original show and I did try to view the new movie with an open mind, trying not to compare the characters too much with the old cast, but I found that's inevitable (and therefore disappointing).

The old storyline of Mainwaring removing his spectacles and consequently stumbling around gets used a lot and the ending was a bit OTT.

Overall I would give it 1* out of 5.

but in truthfulness the moment i heard the new Captain Mainwarings voice i immediately shouted out "That's gonna be shit!"

Yep I know what you mean. I thought he sounded more like the vicar in the original series/film!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: 13 February 2016, 06:15:31 pm »
Nice bike & I like the look of your "family seat"! :lol
Yeh, gates take a bit of painting every two years
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: 14 February 2016, 06:48:29 pm »
Its shocking to think that if it were now then I think I would of been in Dads Army, I wonder if we were suddenly transported back then how many of us would actually be the age to be in Dads Army (home guard)
Actually I don't know the age, anyone know ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: 14 February 2016, 07:22:29 pm »
Its shocking to think that if it were now then I think I would of been in Dads Army, I wonder if we were suddenly transported back then how many of us would actually be the age to be in Dads Army (home guard)
Actually I don't know the age, anyone know ?

I think the upper age of conscription in WW2 was something like 40?. So anyone over that age I guess, although the Home Guard comprised of men aged 18-65 I think because it included those waiting for their call-up papers, people in reserved occupations (eg essential war work) and those not considered fit enough for regular active service etc...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: 14 February 2016, 07:35:30 pm »
40 ! well that's it then I would of been in the home guard 9 years
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: 17 February 2016, 10:49:11 pm »
Not a bike....but will soon accommodate my bike.....

Here's my new toy in its current form.

Yet another ballache 4 hour train journey & 4 hour drive home but welk worth it.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: 17 February 2016, 11:23:24 pm »
It would have been cheaper just to include bike recovery on your insurance.  :lol :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: 18 February 2016, 08:37:30 am »
It would have been cheaper just to include bike recovery on your insurance.  :lol :lol

It was cheaper than buying Rukka clothing though.....just stick my bike in the back & get out in all weathers and stay bone dry :lol

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: 18 February 2016, 08:43:27 am »
Whats this? Fair weather biking-Pembrokeshire style! :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: 22 February 2016, 06:09:44 am »
I won just over a couple of grand on the Irish Lotto a week ago on their version of Hotpicks so thought i'd treat myself.

I had the week off as well using up my holiday, so bought a 4K Panasonic 40 inch LED tv, and also a twin HD tuner Freeview recorder/Bluray/DVD player that also upscales every channel to 4K as well.

Now, i work on a daily basis with high end monitors, but the picture quality when using the HD channels is simply jaw droppingly stunning, and believe me i'm a fussy sod due to my job.

Also both of them have wifi so have all the extras available as well with no need for any wires at all to faff about with, and can also receive anything from my phone wirelessly too.

Job's a good'un.  :smokin 
« Last Edit: 22 February 2016, 06:10:32 am by darrsi »

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: 22 February 2016, 02:03:58 pm »
A ride to Bala via Oswestry and the Tanat valley, over the Milltir Cerrig. Return via Corwen, Llangollen. Beautiful weather, sunny, 7 degrees. Dinner at Cafe Tegid by the lake. Speed detector van at the end of Bryneglwys straight on way out and another at Acrefair on the Llangollen to Wrexham road coming home. My 84 year old father in law has just done a speed awareness course having been caught doing 25 mph in a school 20mph zone near his house at Ruabon !

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: 22 February 2016, 07:36:49 pm »
I won just over a couple of grand on the Irish Lotto a week ago on their version of Hotpicks so thought i'd treat myself.

I had the week off as well using up my holiday, so bought a 4K Panasonic 40 inch LED tv, and also a twin HD tuner Freeview recorder/Bluray/DVD player that also upscales every channel to 4K as well.

Now, i work on a daily basis with high end monitors, but the picture quality when using the HD channels is simply jaw droppingly stunning, and believe me i'm a fussy sod due to my job.

Also both of them have wifi so have all the extras available as well with no need for any wires at all to faff about with, and can also receive anything from my phone wirelessly too.

This is a great story Darrsi you lucky bugger.

I only just got a 50 inch HD tv and i think that is great so can only imagine

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: 22 February 2016, 08:20:20 pm »

We all know where we are going to watch the Motorcycle Racing now  :woot
What time are we on for WSB this weekend  :D
  Lucky Sod.  :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: 22 February 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
Should've been more to be honest, i normally do 3 lines for £2 @ 700-1 on Wednesday & Saturday.
Turns out i've been ticking the wrong box and been doing the next two Wednesdays instead, with no Saturdays at all.
Then by pure luck i had another £3 on each line before i went out on Saturday, and my numbers came in.
I was actually expecting £3505.
Not complaining though, plus i realised my previous error too.  :D

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: 23 February 2016, 07:09:31 pm »
Well what a nice day,,so asked the boss if I could finish early, he said yes (Me !) lol
Home by 3pm and took the Blade out,just to run the new rear tyre in you see,,

Well these Blades certainly have some power, hell I never got in the high rev range, bloody awesome, talk about hang on.lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: 23 February 2016, 07:56:58 pm »
A very cold ride on the Striple, but couldn't wait for summer anymore. Starting to get the hang of what this bike is about; zapping up and down the gearbox to that wonderful triple symphony  :)  This bike brings out the hooligan in me  :evil

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: 24 February 2016, 07:36:24 am »
Its nice around there Nick, 3 degrees when I got back home last night, I have just bought the Oxford 2.0 Jacket and trousers and they with the thermal liners are abosolutly amazing,very very warm,no chill anywhere, loads of pockets, I have been looking for a waterproof set of Textiles for a while, jus thope they are cool enough in the summer, I have fitted the heated grips too,
Bike looks good, nippy is it?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: 24 February 2016, 10:35:42 am »
Its nice around there Nick, 3 degrees when I got back home last night, I have just bought the Oxford 2.0 Jacket and trousers and they with the thermal liners are abosolutly amazing,very very warm,no chill anywhere, loads of pockets, I have been looking for a waterproof set of Textiles for a while, jus thope they are cool enough in the summer, I have fitted the heated grips too,
Bike looks good, nippy is it?

New gear always seems to be really warm - will you still think that when you pull it on again next winter though? I can't bring myself to wear full textiles on the Striple, always leather jacket and jeans. Bit silly really, but just doesn't feel right. Not bothered on the Fazer, I'll wear whatever is right for the conditions. I miss the heated grips I had on the last Fazer!

The Striple seems to be what I had hoped it would be, but only had two proper rides on it so far, so still need to investigate it a bit more. It is pretty quick for it's capacity, plenty enough for the tight, twisty roads on the hills around here, where the Fazer can be a bit too much of a handful. Light as a feather compared to the Fazer as well, of course. I wouldn't want to do really long distances on it (although it's capable enough), so the Fazer stays for that stuff. I can't imagine replacing that.

Didn't think I'd see you go back to sports bikes Billy - must be the influence of all those nutters you hang out with now  :lol
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 10:37:39 am by Hedgetrimmer »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: 24 February 2016, 06:56:48 pm »
Nah ! no influence, I bought it blind, just like I did the Fz1s,, The Fz1s fazer I spotted being written about a few times in the mags,probably a lot of Gen 1s so I to the risk and ordered one online,,well you have met me from that move, I had a great time on that bike,i loved it,and now 3 years on I got itchy feet.

So I decided I wanted a lighter bike,watched a lot of Street triples and speeds too, but wanted a sub 200 kg bike with a bit or a lot of fairing then it hit me,,Fireblade,,lots written about them,mags full of them and like I do,impulse did it,,
And its a lot lighter than the yam fz1s, I had a good ride last night, really enjoyed it,felt comfortable and made me smile much,,lol
I will see if on longer rides If I can live with it,i will see, 
very excited with it.
Cant wait to come up for a couple of days, I have never been to the lake district

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: 25 February 2016, 03:39:43 pm »
Sprayed the Guzzi with ACF50 .

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: 25 February 2016, 06:41:33 pm »
Gave the missus next door the going over with some jizz cream.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: 25 February 2016, 08:18:37 pm »

You dirty Dog!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: 26 February 2016, 05:03:24 pm »
It may be feckin freezing today, but I just couldn't help it - this bike is exactly the tonic I need:

Same trip as the last one, reeling from corner to corner on this mad little bike is turning me into a kid again  :evil  I love it when people on mobile phones turn to stare with a "noisy bastard!" look on their faces, so I blip the throttle to underline the fact  :lol  Haven't grinned so much since my RG500  :D

The scenery wasn't bad either:

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: 26 February 2016, 05:49:12 pm »
You are our tour guide, keep it coming