Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:04 pm

Author Topic: What did you do with whatever else you've got?  (Read 505555 times)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with whatever else you've got?
« Reply #600 on: 02 December 2014, 09:17:42 am »

I'm a little concerned that every time I think about this project I keep feeling like I've forgotten something :\

That you left Christo lying in the mud the cold under the car after reattaching your aircon pump? :rollin

I don't think that would worry him.... :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: 02 December 2014, 02:53:01 pm »
Hahaha, got it in one ;)

I'm fairly sure everything is looking positive so far. Managed to double confirm that the new Gearbox definitely has an LSD on it - Torsen Type B which is exactly what I was after :D Looking forward to seeing how well it affects the handling as the car was pretty good before hand.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: 02 December 2014, 06:30:44 pm »

Took the DT50MX round the block as im going to use it as my winter bike , its not quite as quick as the R1  :eek :lol :rollin

Mark

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: 02 December 2014, 09:28:53 pm »
Hahaha, got it in one ;)

I'm fairly sure everything is looking positive so far. Managed to double confirm that the new Gearbox definitely has an LSD on it - Torsen Type B which is exactly what I was after :D Looking forward to seeing how well it affects the handling as the car was pretty good before hand.

What kind of horsepower does you MG have?

Drive with caution until you get used to it, especially on braking and acceleration through tight bends and speeding through roundabouts,  :eek you will have to modify your driving style a little, but the reduction in torque steer will be a great help. :) Have fun, don't forget to let us know how you get on. :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: 02 December 2014, 09:39:41 pm »

Took the DT50MX round the block as im going to use it as my winter bike , its not quite as quick as the R1  :eek :lol :rollin

Mark

Seriously  :eek I thought you wouldn't notice the difference  :lol

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: 02 December 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
Hahaha, got it in one ;)

Drive with caution until you get used to it, especially on braking and acceleration through tight bends and speeding through roundabouts,  :eek you will have to modify your driving style a little, but the reduction in torque steer will be a great help. :) Have fun, don't forget to let us know how you get on. :D

How appropriate.

A quick Wikipedia search tells us the first LSD was made by ZF!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: 03 December 2014, 12:04:47 pm »
Hahaha, got it in one ;)

It's the 2.5 litre V6 (MG ZS 180) but outputs circa 174hp according to the likes of Parkers ( http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/mg/zs/saloon-2001/21449/ )

People have mentioned about how much difference an LSD makes but I really don't know what to expect... I would have thought it would make the car easier to control...

The torque steer on it before hand was a bit of a nightmare :P Especially if you just planted your foot to the floor  :evil :evil :lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: 03 December 2014, 05:36:17 pm »
A ride to the Spiders Web cafe at Albrighton on the XJ600 to meet up with some old friends from cycle racing in the '60's and '70's. Bright and sunny but pretty cold, frosty when I left home. 88 miles total.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: 04 December 2014, 11:37:12 pm »
Completed my riding assessment today, the last step to becoming a north west blood biker!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: 05 December 2014, 01:18:36 am »
Been respraying parts of the girlfriends car, all the paint was peeling off the plastic parts, spoiler, fuel cap, guard vent things.
Resprayed them in the back yard, refitted the bits last night.
Pretty pleased with how it came up.
Shoddy photos though haha.
Next is the finish the wheels, i painted one black and put a red rim protector on it, looks good so got to do the other 3 now.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: 05 December 2014, 02:48:48 pm »
Nice work :)

Spraying is something I would like to get in to a little more, but I just don't have the space at the moment :(

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: 05 December 2014, 03:43:16 pm »
im a little fed up of my teeth being rattled out on less than perfect surfaces.

It's a shame your view of the FZ1 has been coloured this way. I reckon there must be something seriously wrong with the suspension still, and wonder how you'd find a stock one if you tried one? You are the first person I have heard criticise them so harshly.

Yeh it has been pissed about with so much for track riding that it isnt enjoyable on small roads.

Ive maxed out the compression on the front shocks yet theres still too much travel left even with my fat carcass on it....they've been uprated too much & sometimes the rear is jarring.....but on the A44 which is quite smooth, big corners it is quite nice.

Speed is excellent, noise, looks, bling factor are all good but the overall riding experience just isnt there......i feel like im really trying to ride around its haarshness and that ill probably be far better & quicker on any smaller but normally specced up bike.....i've done over 6k miles on it now & im still not happy.

Slim is the man to try it out...much lighter than me and well used to his FZ1 now.

Noggy I must have read that wrong - you've maxed out the compression damping? That's got nothing to do with the amount of fork travel you're using, but if you've maxed it out it'll be bloody stiff over bumps! Sounds like the forks have had some pretty stiff springs fitted? You can get new springs front and rear for about £150 odd to your weight and riding style, would that not be worth a go if you like the rest of the bike?!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: 05 December 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
Cheers Joe, are you sure mate?

Im pretty sure when i was adjusting it that i read that you adjust the compression and go out for a spin and then keep doing that over bumps and heavy braking etc until the cable tie is down to about 10mm from bottoming out.

Whatever way i was going it was going down more and more until i couldnt adjust it any further and it has probably about an inch and a half of travel still left that i just cant use as i couldnt adjust it any further.

If you've got more info though ill take it

Ta

Nog
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: 05 December 2014, 05:42:35 pm »
A stab in the dark here, but maybe the compression damping is designed for fine control but your springs are just completely out for your bike / weight?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: 05 December 2014, 07:09:42 pm »

Im pretty sure when i was adjusting it that i read that you adjust the compression and go out for a spin and then keep doing that over bumps and heavy braking etc until the cable tie is down to about 10mm from bottoming out.

Whatever way i was going it was going down more and more until i couldnt adjust it any further and it has probably about an inch and a half of travel still left that i just cant use as i couldnt adjust it any further.

Ta

Nog

Not very good advice there Nog, everybody has a different style and suspension should be tuned to individuals style as well as weight.
A good example is Lorenzo and Rossi, their setting are completely different yet both are exceptionally fast riders.
My sons and I are reasonably quick riders and anytime we have ridden together we have all kept pace, if we swap bikes we struggle to reach the same pace, because we have  very different suspension settings.

Much talk on suspension adjustments are track related and they do not transfer well to dodgy country roads.
You need to comprise between handling and comfort.
As a start point.
Set the static sag on the forks to 30mm,  turn the Rebound and compression adjusters to the standard settings
Set the static sag on the rear to 20mm and the rebound and compression adjusters to their standard settings.

Take it for a spin and see how it feels

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: 05 December 2014, 07:21:42 pm »
Hahaha, got it in one ;)

It's the 2.5 litre V6 (MG ZS 180) but outputs circa 174hp according to the likes of Parkers ( http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/mg/zs/saloon-2001/21449/ )

People have mentioned about how much difference an LSD makes but I really don't know what to expect... I would have thought it would make the car easier to control...

The torque steer on it before hand was a bit of a nightmare :P Especially if you just planted your foot to the floor  :evil :evil :lol

You may find you will be over correcting the steering until you get used t the LSD, mainly because of the lack of torque steer. The power should be transmitted cleaner to the wheels and can catch you by surprise powering through bends :eek Without the LSD when one wheel spins it kills the power transmission a little. You may get some understeer on wet roads as both wheels spin, break traction and the car wants to go straight on. Just be wary, but it will definitely be better overall  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: 05 December 2014, 07:57:52 pm »

Ta

Nog

Not very good advice there Nog, everybody has a different style and suspension should be tuned to individuals style as well as weight.
A good example is Lorenzo and Rossi, their setting are completely different yet both are exceptionally fast riders.
My sons and I are reasonably quick riders and anytime we have ridden together we have all kept pace, if we swap bikes we struggle to reach the same pace, because we have  very different suspension settings.

Much talk on suspension adjustments are track related and they do not transfer well to dodgy country roads.
You need to comprise between handling and comfort.
As a start point.
Set the static sag on the forks to 30mm,  turn the Rebound and compression adjusters to the standard settings
Set the static sag on the rear to 20mm and the rebound and compression adjusters to their standard settings.

Take it for a spin and see how it feels

Yeh i did all that guys and had the missus out with a ruler measuring the rider sag and then once id got that sorted i got the settings off of Nitron and i zero'd the rear shock, i got the front rebound adjusted back and forward until i had sorted out as much of the juddering on the front as i could and then i went onto the front compression.......but no matter what i do there is still far too much of the front shock that im not using.

The softer i got it then the much better it felt but i cant do anything  else with it now without throwing more money at it.

It is set up to be a track bike and the previous owner i think must have had it just for that purpose.

Trading in is the way forward for sure. I can always buy another in future but this one is killing me.

Gimme the MT07.....non adjustable front.......otherwise known as no foccing about :) ........ok maybe stick on a better shock but one that i get the chance to spec for the type of riding that i do instead of picking up from someone elses settings.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: 05 December 2014, 08:13:32 pm »
What sag does it have?

If you can get 25 to 35 mm sag, you may just need to change the fork oil to the standard oil. It is likely that the previous owner has put in a thicker oil to increase the damping levels.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: 05 December 2014, 08:33:47 pm »
What sag does it have?

If you can get 25 to 35 mm sag, you may just need to change the fork oil to the standard oil. It is likely that the previous owner has put in a thicker oil to increase the damping levels.

Im pretty sure it is 25mm.....actually i think that was on your recomendation before.

He was a bit vague in his descriptions but he did mention that it "might" have uprated  Ohlins springs in the front so it makes sense....at the time i knew even less than i do now and ive learned a little from the process.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: 05 December 2014, 11:59:48 pm »
Noggy, have you ever checked the Laden sag (sag with you sitting on it)?

25mm static sag is a start point and go up or down according to personal preference.

Check the laden sag and post the result

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: 06 December 2014, 12:11:41 am »
Didn't noggy say he had set it with his wife doing the measurements? I would assume that means he was kitted up and sat on it...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: 06 December 2014, 01:22:52 am »
Didn't noggy say he had set it with his wife doing the measurements? I would assume that means he was kitted up and sat on it...

Missed that bit,  :groan

Laden sag would want to be 25 to 30% of the fork travel which according to the manual is 130mm which would make the laden sag around 30 to 40mm.

25mm would only be the start point of static sag

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: 06 December 2014, 04:55:13 pm »
So today marked the start of another weekend faffing around with the car...

Sorted out moving the clutch release mechanism and driveshaft end from the old gearbox to the new one and began the tedious and frustrating process of refitting it to the engine. Finally got this done though and whilst underneath trying to persuade a driveshaft in to position I noticed that the metal seal on one side of the diff appears to be damaged  :'( :'( :'(

I have as many appendages as possible crossed that it is just superficial and will require no attention. Rather pissed off with myself that I didn't notice it until this point - I even made a point of checking the rubber oil seals on the new box. Tomorrow I'll try to fill the box with oil and hopefully turn the engine over without it going bang either... if all goes well I will be super happy... if not, I'm going to sit in a dark corner under a duvet and cry my self to sleep...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: 06 December 2014, 05:04:22 pm »

Missed that bit,  :groan

Laden sag would want to be 25 to 30% of the fork travel which according to the manual is 130mm which would make the laden sag around 30 to 40mm.

25mm would only be the start point of static sag

I Think my brain is sagging :b

trouble is that coz my bike has a side stand only then I didn't know what the bikes normal sag was without me on it..........so I guessed that it was 10mm :o :o :o

and then we went with the 25mm with me sat on it....that's an accurately guessed 35mm...innit :o :o :o

yes I know :o :o :o

I hate this  bike :lol

oh and yes I had my kit on.....although admittedly I didn't quite feel the need to actually wear the helmet so I held it on the tank  :)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2014, 05:08:34 pm by noggythenog »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: 06 December 2014, 05:47:40 pm »
Became a chimney sweep for the morning and cleaned the chimney :b