Date: 24-04-24  Time: 21:28 pm

Author Topic: Blanket 20mph limits  (Read 4488 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Blanket 20mph limits
« on: 21 January 2014, 06:45:56 pm »
Bristol Mayor George Ferguson , is planning to roll out blanket 20mph limits throughout Bristol , which will eventually be enforced by mobile scamera vans according to the local news . It should be interesting I am constantly being tailgated when sticking to 30mph limits , another reason not to go into town .

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Blanket 20mph limits
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2014, 06:53:32 pm »
Doesnt seem to have a lot going for it......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-24924792

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2014, 07:18:22 pm »
... It should be interesting I am constantly being tailgated when sticking to 30mph limits , another reason not to go into town .

I have noticed bikers as a generality are better at keeping to 30 limits than cagers, maybe not so good on the 60's? ;)
Time to get your push bike out son.

They,& by 'they' i mean the elite few that run the show; frown on us serfs having private transportation.
Now they realise they can't ban us outright from owning vehicles but they seem pretty bent on making it as expensive,awkward & frustratingly slow experience as possible for the masses.
Call me a cynic, but i think that's the essence of it IMHO.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2014, 07:48:51 pm »
Most of the residential areas where I live is 20mph. No one pays any attention to it tbh.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2014, 12:25:07 am »
Or they end up designing the areas as labyrinths with tight corners and speed bumps so that you can barely achieve 20mph... Emersons Green comes to mind...

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2014, 07:49:10 pm »
... It should be interesting I am constantly being tailgated when sticking to 30mph limits , another reason not to go into town .

I have noticed bikers as a generality are better at keeping to 30 limits than cagers, maybe not so good on the 60's? ;)
Time to get your push bike out son.

They,& by 'they' i mean the elite few that run the show; frown on us serfs having private transportation.
Now they realise they can't ban us outright from owning vehicles but they seem pretty bent on making it as expensive,awkward & frustratingly slow experience as possible for the masses.
I Gonna be bloody hard work , on a bike with a trailer dragging all my tools to jobs , especially up all them hills in Bristol  , might have to get a horse & cart , or a job in which I don't need a car. Just another stealth tax dressed up as road safety .
Like Deadeye says some parts of Bristol it is very hard to go over 20mph , but the main routes through the city should be left at 30mph .
Most people seem to ignore the 20 & 30mph limits , but eventually they are planning to use scamera vans to catch people , I get a bit paranoid about it because in 2008 I got my first ever speeding ticket an  SP30 followed by 2 more within 3 months , all by scamera vans , so I am now very aware of sticking to the limits .

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2014, 10:36:43 pm »

What i had in my mind after doing a long journey the other day.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2014, 11:45:00 pm »
Bristol does have a reputation for having an average lower speed during peak hours compared to London, so I can't see 20mph limits causing an issue at those times. However, the rest of the time, its already a nightmare. It has a good infrastructure of road networks around it, but getting from place to place in Bristol can be tedious - all the major trunk roads in and out are typically single carriageways with an absolute plethora of traffic lights. The only real exception being the M32. The A4174 Ring Road goes AROUND Bristol so doesn't count imo :P

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2014, 12:16:07 am »
Bristol Mayor George Ferguson , is planning to roll out blanket 20mph limits throughout Bristol , which will eventually be enforced by mobile scamera vans according to the local news .

How many vans do they have? How many roads in Bristol will have these limits?

We've already got them here in Portsmouth and, having lived in Bristol too, I know there's going to be a lot more than we have here and there's bugger all enforcement that I've ever seen.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2014, 05:24:51 pm »
Bristol Mayor George Ferguson , is planning to roll out blanket 20mph limits throughout Bristol , which will eventually be enforced by mobile scamera vans according to the local news .

How many vans do they have? How many roads in Bristol will have these limits?

We've already got them here in Portsmouth and, having lived in Bristol too, I know there's going to be a lot more than we have here and there's bugger all enforcement that I've ever seen.
Quite a lot of the residential roads already  have 20mph limits which everybody ignores and are currently not enforced , but the plan is for a blanket 20mph limit initially advertised through road safety campaigns with the slogan 20 is plenty , but eventually will be enforced by mobile vans .
I don't know how many vans they have , but I was caught 3 times in 2008 within the space of a few months at different locations , Hartcliffe way ( which is now a 40mph , Bamfield road between the sport centre and the Asda roundabout , The portway 10 yards before the 40 limit .

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2014, 10:38:36 pm »
The Portway is a killer for speed cameras, so many of them around I swear... doesn't stop me being, how should I put... flirtatious with the law? :P Mind you, I haven't been down there in ages...

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2014, 03:21:58 pm »
Thankfully , I don,t ride my bike much around Bristol , so I try to stick to the limits when I am driving , I tend to ride the bike around the A and B roads to the South of Bristol where you can go bit faster . Sometimes I go out past Castle combe but you have to be careful , its easy to go excessively fast , but you have to watch out for the van along there , A kind cager let me know there was a van there the last time I went along there. quote author=Dead Eye link=topic=11411.msg123043#msg123043 date=1390603116]
The Portway is a killer for speed cameras, so many of them around I swear... doesn't stop me being, how should I put... flirtatious with the law? :P Mind you, I haven't been down there in ages...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2014, 05:01:52 pm »
Yeah, I don't have to commute so rarely travel through Bristol. Outside of Bristol there are plenty of roads to have a bit of fun on, though I've been crossing the bridge in to Wales lately just to try and find some new roads :)

The camera I sometimes get caught out on is on the A4174 ring road between Downend (A4017) and Badminton Road (A432). There's a slight bend to the road and the bugger is well hidden, plus its the first stretch where the speed limit goes down from 70 to 50
« Last Edit: 25 January 2014, 05:03:51 pm by Dead Eye »