Date: 19-03-24  Time: 08:25 am

Author Topic: What to get for him...?  (Read 899 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
What to get for him...?
« on: 20 January 2014, 09:06:12 pm »
My mate just did a load of work my car for me. Fitted tyres. Service. Software update. Fitted pads and discs and even machined the front discs because the wrong ones were supplied.

Now we have been mates for nearly 20 years and he will not take money, so I always buy hime something.

He rides a SV650. I was going to get him a rear spring from Hyperpro or a set of braided lines and 25mm dog bones. The 2 things he complains about are braking and suspention. He has changed the front springs to Hyperpro progressive numbers, so that would match up with the rear. But, when we were at the Nurburgring last year he said about the spongyness of the brakes... So lines and dog bones would address both issues.

Ideas. And if anyone has or has had an SV650, please share your thoughts.

And no, I am not getting him a Fazer (although I have made the suggestion  ;) )
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: What to get for him...?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2014, 09:56:09 pm »
Keep an eye out for a decent shock on eBay for him - there's loads that fit into the sv (both pointy and curvy, if you let me know which i'll be able to find a list), and you'd be able to sort out a replacement (eg a gixxer shock) for very cheap, and yet will make a HUGE handling difference to the sv. Not much point in changing the spring on the standard shock to be honest, its an undersprung, underdamped piece of crap to be polite!

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2014, 10:31:45 pm »
Not much point in changing the spring on the standard shock to be honest, its an undersprung, underdamped piece of crap to be polite!
Now where have I heard that before  :rolleyes
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2014, 11:43:13 pm »
He has a curvy one, 2002 model. Here is a wee picture of it beside mine at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.

I had read on the SV forum that a Nina 10 fits in with a little mod on the battery tray. I found one on ebay for £45 delivered. If you are able to give me an idea of what goes in without raping his bike. I don't want him to have to drill holes or anything. Although he will be happy to footer about. Chances are we will fit it together anyway  :lol
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...