Date: 23-04-24  Time: 12:26 pm

Author Topic: I can see this causing a few problems  (Read 5152 times)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: I can see this causing a few problems
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2014, 01:48:43 pm »
Another sneaky tax boost for the government then?
If you can only get a refund for unused whole months, every secondhand vehicle sold will be taxed twice in the month of sale.

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2014, 01:51:12 pm »
This wont work at all. I agree tax discs are dated and should be removed. But as usual the government never thinks things through.  :wall

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2014, 02:00:25 pm »
Another sneaky tax boost for the government then?
If you can only get a refund for unused whole months, every secondhand vehicle sold will be taxed twice in the month of sale.
Exactly what I was thinking
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2014, 03:06:52 pm »
Looks to me like the beginning of integrating the RFL in with petrol tax. That way, you pay for both how much you drive/ride, and people with more uneconomical vehicles pay more.

Seems the most logical step forward to me at least.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2014, 03:18:33 pm »
The reasons seem clear to me, or am I just a knob  :rollin  Selling vehichle without roadtax forces the buyer to get some and as such they'll require insurance and by getting road tax they won't be able to not register the vehicle under their name or address.  The government should make it that the seller gets a full refund of remaining tax and the the percentage of that is in place at moment, but I doubt they will
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2014, 03:25:04 pm »
I sort of get it, but, say you can only view a vehicle you are hoping to buy after normal working hours, you go to see it in the evening, how do you drive it home if you decide to buy it?  The government are trying to get us to cut emissions (apparently) but surely, two trips, one to view, one to drive the car away away once you've taxed it just puts more emissions into the air....just saying!

Unless, it's ok to drive it home, then the next day, the seller claims a refund and you tax it.......... do you think that is what they are thinking........
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Jdalt

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2014, 03:30:16 pm »
Everyone will just start buying/selling cars at the end of the month. :eek

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2014, 04:18:14 pm »
I sort of get it, but, say you can only view a vehicle you are hoping to buy after normal working hours, you go to see it in the evening, how do you drive it home if you decide to buy it?  The government are trying to get us to cut emissions (apparently) but surely, two trips, one to view, one to drive the car away away once you've taxed it just puts more emissions into the air....just saying!

Unless, it's ok to drive it home, then the next day, the seller claims a refund and you tax it.......... do you think that is what they are thinking........
You'd drive without tax and if stopped get the 14 day grace but also if you decide to buy it's merely a case of going online and buying the tax. I imagine the system will be updated for you to tick a new owner box

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2014, 04:20:56 pm »
What if the car has no mot. You won't be able to tax it anyway, so the rule of being allowed to go only to the test station is fucked as there will be no tax either, its all a con
It won't make any difference.  At the moment you don't need a car to be taxed to take it for a pre-booked MoT, only insured.  Think about it, if it isn't MoT'd you can't tax it anyway.  I'm involved in importing cars and take them for MoT with no tax or number plates which is perfectly legal as long as they are insured.  Once they have an MoT I can then apply to register and tax them.

The other thing that they are doing is allowing you to tax a vehicle monthly by direct debit.  Now in that case I suspect there would be a grace period so you can buy a car (or bike) drive it home, covered by the tax paid by the seller which I would assume he will still be liable for until he sends the V5 in to notify a change of keeper, and as long as the new owner sets up a direct debit in the same month I can't see it being a problem.

What I can see being a problem is with pre 1973 historic vehicles which currently have to have a tax disc but it is free.  You can't drive a vehicle without tax and you can't have a direct debit for £0.00 paid every month so what is to say that they are taxed or not?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2014, 04:23:13 pm »
What if the car has no mot. You won't be able to tax it anyway, so the rule of being allowed to go only to the test station is fucked as there will be no tax either, its all a con
Strictly speaking if vehicle has no mot it should be sorn so not allowed on the road anyway Taxed or not

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2014, 10:04:04 pm »
If I go to view a car once they do away with the tax disc, how would I know if it has tax on it to take it for a test drive? Bloke could tell me all is fine when in fact it could be sorned, and as the driver, I would be liable for driving an untaxed vehicle?????

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2014, 12:05:11 am »
If I go to view a car once they do away with the tax disc, how would I know if it has tax on it to take it for a test drive? Bloke could tell me all is fine when in fact it could be sorned, and as the driver, I would be liable for driving an untaxed vehicle?????

I imagine that liability would fall to the owner as he has a legal obligation to inform you the vehicle is not roadworthy before selling it to you

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2014, 08:58:53 am »
Liability is with the owner not the driver.

I said some time ago that once the change comes in in October that you have to assume nothing is taxed when you buy it. As for buying after hours, most people would drive it home and tax it at the first opportunity. (Once you get home on-line if the insurance database has caught up). Plod wont do you for it if you show intent unless you act like a knob with them.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2014, 12:31:54 pm »
Really??? I was always under the impression that it was the driver that was responsible???

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2014, 01:11:16 pm »
It won't make any difference.  At the moment you don't need a car to be taxed to take it for a pre-booked MoT, only insured.  Think about it, if it isn't MoT'd you can't tax it anyway.  I'm involved in importing cars and take them for MoT with no tax or number plates which is perfectly legal as long as they are insured.  Once they have an MoT I can then apply to register and tax them.

The other thing that they are doing is allowing you to tax a vehicle monthly by direct debit.  Now in that case I suspect there would be a grace period so you can buy a car (or bike) drive it home, covered by the tax paid by the seller which I would assume he will still be liable for until he sends the V5 in to notify a change of keeper, and as long as the new owner sets up a direct debit in the same month I can't see it being a problem.

What I can see being a problem is with pre 1973 historic vehicles which currently have to have a tax disc but it is free.  You can't drive a vehicle without tax and you can't have a direct debit for £0.00 paid every month so what is to say that they are taxed or not?

if its classed as a historic vehicle, then it is still a requirement for it to be taxed, but at a zero rate!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
Doddsie, if the owner tells you it is taxed, you have done your job.
If the owner was lying, its them that gets done.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2014, 04:13:48 pm »
if its classed as a historic vehicle, then it is still a requirement for it to be taxed, but at a zero rate!
Exactly.  At the moment you have a tax disc that shows that it is taxed (so the presence of an MoT and insurance will have been checked) but once the disc is done away with and proof of payment is proof of tax, how do you prove that you are paying zero?