Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:18 pm

Author Topic: Sat Navs on bikes  (Read 6282 times)

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Sat Navs on bikes
« on: 09 January 2014, 09:43:46 pm »
This may have already been covered, but has anyone had much success with using non-motorbike satnavs (ie tomtom rider etc.) on their bikes. I've seen waterproof cases etc and just wondered what thoughts were.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Navs on bikes
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2014, 09:56:36 pm »
Google maps. Android phone, earpiece. Good for short journeys in town. No screen but is free.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2014, 09:58:23 pm »
I use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-GPS-SAT-NAV-Waterproof-Leather-Case-Mount-Holder-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Cycle-/330807637586?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item4d05abf652

or something that looks very much like this. Works well, although larger sat navs can be a bit of a squeeze. No problems in the rain.

What you miss from the more expensive motorbike sat navs is bluetooth audio directions, which can be usefull on the motorbike. The motorbike specific sat navs are too expensive in my opinion.

I have used the android phone + headset option as well, but it rinsed my data plan, and dranied my battery very quickly. I also found in the latest google maps update, they stop saying road names and introduce a delay in the instructions which is annoying.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2014, 09:58:33 pm »
Google maps. Android phone, earpiece. Good for short journeys in town. No screen but is free.

change the earpiece for a bluetooth one (like the SENA SMH10 I have), add a waterproof case to the handlebars, and you have a screen as well.

Google's Navigation app has always worked well on my phone.

MY case is much the same as alexander has posted above.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2014, 09:59:34 pm by mickvp »

fq-craigus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2014, 10:00:02 pm »
Now thats a great idea, not thought about headphone and phone thats the answer for my journey at the weekend, I did think abput a tank bag with clear pocket but that means buying a tank bag lol

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2014, 10:09:19 pm »
Good move with the phone idea.

I use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-GPS-SAT-NAV-Waterproof-Leather-Case-Mount-Holder-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Cycle-/330807637586?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item4d05abf652
[size=78%].[/size]

It was that listing that prompted the question!  I've used my tomtom in a tankbag but spent an unhealthy amount of time glancing down!

Listening to the directions wasn't much of  an issue that way. Might see if I could download a decent satnavs for my phone and use the Bluetooth idea!

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2014, 10:09:24 pm »

change the earpiece for a bluetooth one (like the SENA SMH10 I have), add a waterproof case to the handlebars, and you have a screen as well.

The data usage is still a problem

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2014, 10:20:41 pm »

Just found co-pilot do a free version where you download the actual maps to your device, so less data to download, works without signal and just uses the gps chip

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2014, 10:21:48 pm »

Just found co-pilot do a free version where you download the actual maps to your device, so less data to download, works without signal and just uses the gps chip

I had a play with that and the tom tom android version. Neither are as good as Google maps. Shame :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2014, 10:22:04 pm »
if you play with the settings in google maps you can turn off any additional layers (satellite, terrain etc), and you can also pe-cache some of your common routes to cut right down on the data usage.

with only the basic map layers on, it should only use between 10-20Mb an Hour. Im on an unlimited data plan (3Gb) so its not a major concern for me.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2014, 10:23:06 pm »
if you play with the settings in google maps you can turn off any additional layers (satellite, terrain etc), and you can also pe-cache some of your common routes to cut right down on the data usage.

with only the basic map layers on, it should only use between 10-20Mb an Hour. Im on an unlimited data plan (3Gb) so its not a major concern for me.
I did the same but I use my whole 5gb allocation a month either way.

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
I guess!

If it came to I'm sure you could pick up a cheapy off theifbay and either make do without voice directions or ( if you a bit of a whizz with tinkering) could fit a Bluetooth adapter to it.

I feel a project coming on
« Last Edit: 09 January 2014, 10:26:38 pm by ajmes1 »

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2014, 10:29:42 pm »
I had to deliver a bike to Paris so stuck the windscreen sucker thing from my Garmin sat nav to the tank and put a polythene bag over the unit and held it on with an elastic band.  No audio from it but it gave me enough info from the maps to not get lost.  The poly bag worked well too even though it pissed it down the whole way there.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2014, 10:32:10 pm »
I use copilot and find it works quite well, you can make a route with multiple waypoints and save it if you wish. No data or loss of signal issues. Sometimes you can download it free for a limited time and get a chance to try before you buy.  Also has camera locations and free app and map Updates.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2014, 10:32:45 pm »

I did the same but I use my whole 5gb allocation a month either way.

really?

god thats awful. ive never used my data allowance with anything, but admittedly I dont use the Nav that much!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2014, 12:30:33 am »
I just use a waterproof map :lol

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2014, 07:29:46 am »
I don't use the navigation software, just the maps.
If it's motorway you don't need it on, just need to remember what junction to get off, then have a look again.
If you have iPhone 'navfree' doesn't use data as you download the UK map to phone
Some say...

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2014, 08:27:08 am »
I use a tom tom 920 go . Had it for years got a case for it and fittings for  handle bar mounting . Use it every day as a despatch rider in London does the job for me

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2014, 08:33:03 am »
I don't use the navigation software, just the maps.
If it's motorway you don't need it on, just need to remember what junction to get off, then have a look again.
If you have iPhone 'navfree' doesn't use data as you download the UK map to phone

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2014, 08:35:08 am »
got a tom tom rider v2 and its exceptional if not expensive and costs you to update maps however i have just recommended for my son Navfree ( free app that downloads map to your mobile so doesnt use data a phone specific waterproof case with ram socket and a ram mount. Attach a 12v socket to battery use a 12v usb charger and you have just as good as the sat nav as i have but with free updates....... total cost about 25 to 50 quid depending on your phone
 :eek :eek :eek :eek
use bluetooth or headfones simples
« Last Edit: 10 January 2014, 08:36:21 am by keithfzs1000 »
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2014, 09:20:24 am »
I use Waze on my phone, it's free and updates traffic in real time, BUT it does use data. (No idea how much as I don't pay for mine).

For the bike, I used to use a waterproof case off of eBay for my old TomTom V1. It was mounted to the bars via a ball & socket but it was a faff to get on and off. Then I was in Hein Gericke (when it was open) and they had one with velcro straps and a nice little sun shade. About £7. They might be selling them off again or via J&S.

DBo.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2014, 09:50:40 am »
Ancient jailbroken iPhone 3GS with Tom Tom, does the job fine.  More importantly the phone is mounted above the clocks on a homemade bracket very much like limax2's setup below, this keeps it in constant eye view unlike when it's on the tank/handlebars etc.

FZS600 SatNav bracket
FZS600 SatNav bracket
« Last Edit: 10 January 2014, 09:54:53 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2014, 10:22:17 am »
I use a Garmin Zumo 550 with a RAM mount on the handlebar wired in to an Autocom system. Expensive to set up but is the dogs danglies.
Plays mp3's as well as navigation
Transfer from bike to bike so lasts a long while.

I've had it that long the Zumo is a little old fashioned now in that the Garmin features are greatly advanced now (like photo real junction display and lane guidance prompting etc, but I wont update till it breaks!

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2014, 10:43:42 am »
Zumo 660 here, love it but very expensive.

Cheapo version, Nuvi 310 has an 3.5mm jack out and can be picked up for about £20 on eblag, wire it to the battery, waterproof bag from China and you have a proppa setup for under £50.

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2014, 11:26:59 am »
I use an old Garmin Zumo765 car satnav. It has a headphone socket to plug my Sanheisser headphones in and a SD slot to add mp3 music files. It's attached via a handlebar garmin ball mount and powered by a cigar socket plummed direct (fused) to the battery. I don't tend to go out in the rain these days; however if it does rain, I put it in a tankbag with a map window.
It also has bluetooth for when I'm in my cage, so it doubles as a hands free kit... Works a treat...  :)

AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...