Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:08 pm

Author Topic: Rentec luggage rack install  (Read 2771 times)

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Rentec luggage rack install
« on: 08 January 2014, 10:23:45 am »
Just received a rentec luggage rack so I can stop carrying my laptop n lunch box in a rucksack and have ground to a halt on what could be the easiest  of things to fit.
No fixing kit included only a piece of paper saying you should use the original fixings in the grab rail that you take off.
Well the original fixings bolts are too short to go through the rack fixing holes then through the original collet spacers. 
So before I get the hack saw out and chop down the collects, what other cunning methods have others done here and what and where did you get the bits to install it? Cheers dudes.

P's looks as if I will need longer bolts even if I cut the collets down as there will only be a couple of threads biting in the captive nut.

« Last Edit: 08 January 2014, 10:27:58 am by Gav »
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rented luggage rack install
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2014, 10:26:40 am »
rented or rentec? :)

They should come with longer bolts and spacers to fit them. Was it second hand?

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rentec luggage rack install
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2014, 10:30:20 am »
Yeah phone auto spell checker grrr. Rentec I mean.  Was from eBay shop and brand new.  Free disc lock but would of preferred a fitting kit.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2014, 10:31:04 am »
Yeah phone auto spell checker grrr. Rentec I mean.  Was from eBay shop and brand new.  Free disc lock but would of preferred a fitting kit.

Send them a message, they have lost the extra bits! Mine was the same, with disc lock and all, and came with all the bits.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2014, 11:16:17 am »
Just take your curret bolts to an autofactor type plafce and ask if they have longer ones

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2014, 11:19:45 am »
 :agree  Alexanderfitu. It should have come with a packet of bits. Four longer bolts with rounded socket heads  and four aluminium spacers that also fill the large holes in the plastic cowl. Can't remember if there was anything else like washers etc.
Worth pointing out it is for a 2000-2003 model as I think the 1998-1999 is slightly different due to smaller holes in the plastic.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2014, 01:51:58 pm »
Just asked the seller and they said no fitting kit comes with it.  Well just realised renntec are at three legged cross Verwood and I will be driving past tomorrow.  Just going to ask if they can sell a fitting kit with those ally spacers to fill the holes. Cheers for replys chaps.
Cheers
Gav

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2014, 02:05:22 pm »
Just asked the seller and they said no fitting kit comes with it.  Well just realised renntec are at three legged cross Verwood and I will be driving past tomorrow.  Just going to ask if they can sell a fitting kit with those ally spacers to fill the holes. Cheers for replys chaps.
Cheers
Gav

If you order from Rentec directly, the required bits come with, so Im betting the seller on ebay has lost the bits.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2014, 03:53:22 pm »
I don't mean to put a dampener on anything, but these racks have a very low reccomended weight limit, it's something daft like 2.5kg.

You can go more than that, but don't load it up too much like i did when my attached top box overtook me one day!  :eek
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2014, 06:12:21 pm »
It's Ok I won't be putting a noddy box on the rack, just a tent for bike rallies and small bag with odds n sods when I take it to work. 
Well I'm stopping off at Renntec tomorrow to buy a propper fixing kit.  will work out a bit more expensive now but oh well I think I'll  get over it.  At least it will save me whittling up my own fixings.
Happy riding
Gav

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2014, 06:44:41 pm »
I'd have a word again with the Ebay seller - "they said no fitting kit comes with it" is complete bollocks.
As to weight, mine has been fine with tent, heavy bags and a fair bit strapped to it. Just be sensible. It's not overtaken me yet  :)

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2014, 11:42:07 am »
Well as I was passing Renntec I bought a fixing kit.  Couldn't be ar5ed to moan to the eBay seller and wait days for a resolution, just wasn't worth it for a couple of bolts n spacers. I might leave neggy feedback though :-P

Yup in this case should of bought direct.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2014, 05:19:52 pm »
LoL