Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:09 pm

Author Topic: Car Tyres  (Read 6008 times)

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Car Tyres
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2014, 06:01:18 pm »
there's cheap and there's cheap. Part worns can be good value BUT you don't know the history of them. True, when you buy a second hand car you have the same concern but I would rather put a mid range tyre on and miss out on the meal out or whatever than put part worns on.

Most part worns come from Germany etc where the legal limit is 3mm and it is law to have winter tyres in wintery conditions.

Its pretty obvious when you go to fit them, if they are blistered, bulge etc, then reject them. Thats what I do.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
there's cheap and there's cheap. Part worns can be good value BUT you don't know the history of them. True, when you buy a second hand car you have the same concern but I would rather put a mid range tyre on and miss out on the meal out or whatever than put part worns on.

Most part worns come from Germany etc where the legal limit is 3mm and it is law to have winter tyres in wintery conditions.

Its pretty obvious when you go to fit them, if they are blistered, bulge etc, then reject them. Thats what I do.
This.  The rears on my 200SX were £190 ish each ( :eek ) but part worns at £100/pair with 5+mm were much better on the wallet, particularly when they only lasted 5-10k.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 January 2014, 11:25:50 pm »
Sounds like you had a lot of "fun" with that 200SX :P

Next car I buy I will be looking for RWD ^^

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 January 2014, 11:50:05 pm »
On recommendation from UKSaabs forum I fitted a pair of Neuton NT5000 to the front of a Saab 9-5 Aero Estate, FWD, 250 brake and not the lightest car on the planet. Grip was ace, wear I'm not sure, I had to sell the car 5k after fitting them. There was still loads of meat left on them, they were half the price of the Michelin pilot primacy that were on the car, only difference I noticed was a very slight noise increase. Wet and dry grip even when pushing it was ace. apparently they are a subsidiary of Yokohama.

Tried to put a link up but it's not having it, google Neo Bros, they were the suppliers.

« Last Edit: 07 January 2014, 11:53:44 pm by demic77 »
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #29 on: 08 January 2014, 12:24:33 am »
I had a look around for part worn suppliers. There are a few within 3 miles. I am going to see one I used to live round the corner from in the morning. The guy says he has 10 sets in my size from £30-£40 a corner supplied and fitted. All big brands and the more expensive ones are like new, so 5+mm tread. Seems fair enough to me, and means I can stay clear of nylon Chinese jobs.

I will let you know how I get on lads. Cheers
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2014, 11:03:11 am »
gotta say if anyone looking at replacement car tyres I can't recommend etyres highly enough!

bought & paid for Monday, arranged fitting today. had phone call 845 advising he be at work 1015-1045 arrived at 1020 half hour later he's away after showing me recommended torque and tightened up in front of me!
and price wise they are as competetive as black circle and better than ATS or Kwik Fit!

just my opinion
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 January 2014, 11:26:31 am »
he's away after showing me recommended torque and tightened up in front of me!
and price wise they are as competetive as black circle and better than ATS or Kwik Fit!
Last time I went to a 'proper' tyre place I had to tell them not to use an impact wrench to do the nuts up  :whip