Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:21 pm

Author Topic: Off Roading  (Read 3957 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Off Roading
« on: 02 January 2014, 06:55:47 pm »
Just saw red 98's thread about trail riding and wasn't sure if he was on about jumping up rocks on super light gasgas things with no seat or off road riding through dirt tracks and trails on a big scrambler. So I made this to not derail it just in case. I would really like to get into off road riding properly but the bikes I'm looking at all seem fairly expensive for what they are. Also, what are the rules about actually riding off road? I live within riding distance of Dartmoor, so once I got there could I just find the nearest path and go for it? Have ridden a mates DT in a private field a fair few times a couple of years back and that was great fun but I would like to get a proper dual sport type thing as a 2nd bike and take it off road this summer.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Off Roading
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 07:03:53 pm »
The event I went too was a schoolboy trials mostly on gas gas...sounds like you mean green laning.bike has to be road legal...great fun though, especially where you are  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2014, 09:21:32 pm »
People often get confused between trail riding and trials riding. As I think you realise riding on green lanes and such tracks is trail riding. Going over seemingly impossible obsticles without putting your foot on the floor is trials riding.
I used to enjoy trail riding, with a couple of mates, in winter over the Yorkshire moors and tracks in the Lake District. That was many years ago on a slightly modified Suzuki SP370, so I can't offer advice on what would be most suitable these days. What I can say is that you can't just ride anywhere that takes your fancy, those days are long gone. When I was last trail riding in this country you had to stick to track that had vehicular rights of way. Sometimes shown on O.S. maps as RUPP (road used as public path). At the time I got O.S. maps marked up by a club called "Trail riders fellowship", but I don't know if they are still the best source of information. I know a lot of good tracks got down graded to footpaths but then later on I believe that was over turned. In short some investigation required unless some more upto date info turns up here.   
« Last Edit: 02 January 2014, 09:34:52 pm by limax2 »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 10:09:05 pm »
Green laning is petty cool. I had a crf450x until recently.  Its great legally riding what is essentially a motox bike through town :) Unfortunately for me many green lanes were downgraded leaving only one locally. That one also "benefitted" from lots or work so went from a motox track trail to a well kept fire road removing most of the fun. Riding outside the boundaries or "chavving it up" is frowned upon and can lead to trouble. I sold it as I got bored of it...  if I lived in wales etc with lots of places I would have kept it, great fun
Intentionally left blank

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2014, 11:12:57 pm »
Yeah green laning that's the one. Hmmm that's what I thought, there are a lot of legalities involved now by the looks of it so you can't just ride about on the moors willy nilly. Well in that case, how would I go about finding out where the legal trails and lanes are that can be used near me? I'm struggling to find a decent website short of buying an up to date OS map and finding the RUPP red crossed paths as limax suggests. As for bikes, I am always checking ebay and auto trader for spares and repair or cheap running enduro bikes but they are quite rare and usually expensive considering the state some of them are in. Once I get my exhaust sorted though I will probably make more of a spirited effort to sort something out because I'm sure there will be some trails locally around here and it's something I have always been very interested in.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2014, 07:47:16 am »
Just use Google. Many others will have asked the same questions (ie any green lanes in or near preston) on forums and will have got replies.   The TRF site doesnt really give anything more than you can find even with membership fee paid.
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2014, 07:48:16 am »
Iirc there was one guy who had a big member created database and map of them online but it was only covering down south
Intentionally left blank

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2014, 09:36:27 am »
I think I put up the map, the link isn't on this computer so I'll have a look at home later but I think it was kent and sussex.

The lanes are called Byeways and are open to all road legal traffic and horse riders and dog walkers so care is required.
Restricted byways are for non motorised users so you take your chances if you use them.

As said earlier, they are getting less and less and I've got bored of riding the same trails and the bike is in the back of the garage. My lad wasn't getting the rush from it and took up MX racing proper.

A good bet is your County Council website, ours has a countryside section which is very helpfull

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2014, 10:33:18 am »
Who says you need an enduro or motox, just use a GSXR !!!!  :rolleyes   :lol

Baron von Nightmare - GSXR Off Roading...

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2014, 05:05:06 pm »
In the Peak District they've been trying to have a by-law or similar passed to completely outlaw green laning, 4x4s etc. I'm not sure what the current state of the matter is as I haven't been following it closely, but I think it's either done or going to happen. I see the 4x4 crew doing occasional protests.

It's a shame, I do see the argument for not riding about on all areas of a national park, but they're mean't to be for everyone's recreation, and I would have thought there would be a compromise where by a few areas could be put aside for trail riding.

I'd love to get in to off road myself but it seems it's quite limited where you can do it. When I was a kid I hate mates with farms and C90s. Not so much now-a-days.

Andy

PS) The Barron is a legend for that vid alone if you ask me  :lol
« Last Edit: 03 January 2014, 05:09:40 pm by andybesy »

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
I did find this, although I think this is what NorthWestern said isn't actually that helpful. http://www.trfdevon.org.uk/code.html
I think I have to join to actually view any of the green lanes etc that can be ridden. Something I might consider, the forum part might come in handy Ill look through that at some point. I know there are definitely still lanes and tails down here because I have seen people riding back from them but whether that was legal or not who knows. Ideally I will talk my mates into is as well and try and get a small group of us because I'm not experienced off road and seems to me it could get risky if you're not careful or get stranded by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

That's the first BVG vid I ever saw and it is a classic, I subscribed but after a while un-subbed because a lot of his videos were just him filtering like a berk and then shouting and whining at someone for daring to exist on this Earth at the same time as him. Best in my opinion is road craft nottingham, I also like moonfleet (delboys garage although some of his stuff is as whingy as BVG but maintenance vids are excellent) and The Crumble who is hilarious especially his older stuff.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2014, 06:59:27 pm »
The TRF site was not really useful and seemed to want to charge for membership in exchange for further info, but that info is available elsewhere.  IIRC they use the money raised to fight closures and whatnot so you are supporting the cause I guess.

This site did seem useful

http://www.glass-uk.org/

In particular the TrailWise site it links to.  That does seem a bit daan saaf orientated though and I ended up scouring forums for info on tracks around Preston/North West.  ITs map feature is good if not a little clunky.
You can go places "ilegally" and not get bothered but anywhere where theres a rambler results in shaken heads and at least one busy body amongst the group reaching for the phone to call the police.  Know your rights!  You get that on lanes you are entitled to be on and no amount of telling them its a green lane will change their minds.  Best just to carry on really otherwise you waste half an hour discussing it and waiting for cops to arrive and tell them its legal to be on a bike here...

There are a couple of classifications as well, its not as simple as "this is a green lane so were alright jack".  Some are fine for bikes but not quads or cars etc, some are fine for things other than 4x4 and whatnot.  The lowest denominator is the motorcycle though so if it allows vehicles then bikes should be ok.  I think the TRF have a 25mph voluntary speed limit which you may think is ample but I was getting up to 60mph off road...  Take care when people are about obviously, if you are seen with massive roost coming off the back tire its heavily frowned upon and you might end up explaining to a copper what you were doing.  Your also running the risk of colliding with someone.

I will say that the more full on bikes like I had (crf450x) and others like it (KTM's, Yamaha YZF450W etc) are not very suitable for road use in trail trim.  The tires are actually really good fun on tarmac, slide nice and give suprising grip but you will get about 10 hours or so out of a rear if you do any hooning around on the street :) .  You can worry superbike riders if the roads are twisty enough (Trough of Bowland is ace, you can even get some airtime).

They are also geared for offroad (well duh) and going anything over 60mph is tedious as the engine is revving hard.  You can gear them up easilly, I got higher gearing but never fitted it, but then it isn't as good offroad...  Loud?  Mine had a "quiet" Pro Circuit pipe on it and although I never got pulled for it riding out of the town man it was loud (sounded awesome though).

Funny enough my dad got a Yamaha Serow 225 trail bike and on the street its top end was about the same and it was nicer to ride.  Off road was a different story but its a big compromise so depends if you intend to ride to green lanes or take it in a van.  The serow can go anywhere offroad the CRF could but not as quick.  If your not too fussed about going Dave Thorpe on the mud its ace and its much better on the street.  I would imagine the larger engined or more modern trail bikes would be better. 

I would suggest that you be as honest as poss to yourself regarding the type of riding you will be doing when choosing a bike.  On mine anything over 30 miles was annoying, the 60mph sympathy limit was...limiting.. I couldnt use it to go to work (30 miles up the M6), they have no ignition key or steering lock etc  I did, however, love it offroad (I used to race motox) so I forgave its other weaknesses.  In truth though I would probably have got more use from something with a more road slant like a XT 600 or whatever.

The ultimate would be taking it to greenlane rich places in a van with mates for a day or two (ie wales) staying over and really getting into it.  I have a young'un though so working all week then coming home and buggering off for a weekend isn't really on the cards.  You could probably get away with that a few times a year but is it worth a depreciating bike in the garage with tax/insurance etc  In the end I couldn't justify it as I had my Fireblade as well so flogged it.

Intentionally left blank