Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 - not naked  (Read 2103 times)

Fixer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda F6C
    • View Profile
FZ1 - not naked
« on: 30 December 2013, 10:35:39 pm »
Hi all
I was about to buy a new MT09 to carry in my motor-caravan but realised I could buy an FZ1 that has more grunt to carry me and the wife about. The only problem I have is that Yamaha only give the height to the top of the screen. Could someone with a non-naked FZ1 please measure their bike from the ground to the highest point somewhere on the handlebars I would presume? Please fold the mirrors down if possible. I'm happy to remove the screen to put the bike in the back of my van but if the height is still too much I'd have to get the naked version which I don't like the looks of.

If there is an owner of an FZ1 local to me (Ivybridge, Devon) I would love to get a look at one. There doesn't seem to be any second-hand ones for sale near me.

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you all.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 - not naked
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2013, 07:42:50 am »
Hi and welcome. :)

Sorry, but I can't help with the FZ1 height question (mines a Gen 1) - someone will be along soon to do that, I'm sure.  However, as someone thinking of buying a motorhome next year, I'm curious about how much payload you anticipate giving over to a litre capacity motorcycle.

Out of interest, can I ask what sort of vehicle you have and are you intending to load internally (large garage) or on a bike rack?

Cheers!

Mike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2013, 09:22:24 am »
Some motorhomes have storage space from a rear door,usually under the bed, maybe big enough for a bike.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Fazer TIM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2013, 11:21:07 am »
Hi I don't live to far away (torquay) if you want me to pop down I will just message me Cheers Tim

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2013, 01:15:16 pm »
Some motorhomes have storage space from a rear door,usually under the bed, maybe big enough for a bike.

Indeed - I've seen many that do but the limiting factor is weight, not size.  Usually a small scooter is about as heavy as you can afford to go without compromising the all-up weight of the vehicle, or sometimes the rear axle weight limit.

Fixer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda F6C
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2013, 03:04:19 pm »
Hi all and THANK YOU for the quick replies.
I sold my Gen1 last year as I was going around the World on my XT600. Unfortunately the XT's ignition proved too effective in Almaty, Kazakhstan, and the bike burst into flames, thereby ending my journey. See www.joatmoa.com.
The van is a Renault Master LWB, very high roof. The payload is 1800kgs so I should be able to accomodate any bike I can fit in. I didn't go down the "ready made" route as we have been motorcaravanning for 37 years and we know what we want from a van. It will take me to Moldova, Ukraine and Russia soon with a bike in the boot under the double bed. My friend has already built one and I'm adapting his design. If you want to see the van then please visit www.joatmoa.com/victoria
This is a webpage that I threw up for my friend, Victoria, who lives in Yekaterinburg. That's why the page is called "victoria". It also showed her our new kitchen, the van is below that.
Tim, I've messaged you.
Happy New Year everyone.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2013, 05:35:23 pm »
Got to admire a guy who takes 25 years to refit a kitchen but manages to create a motorhome from a Renault van in about 25 days. :lol   Would really like to see the outcome of the final build and especially the bike - whatever you get - tucked away in the back.

Obviously with 37 years of motorhoming experience behind you, the payload thing must be second nature but it strikes me from the pre-buying research I'm doing that a lot of newbies (that's me, of course ;) ) don't give it a second thought when choosing a vehicle.

Good luck with the rest of the build and with your travels when it's completed.

Happy New Year! :)

Mike

Fixer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda F6C
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2014, 05:15:14 pm »
A huge "THANK YOU" to Fazer Tim for bringing his beautiful FZ1 to my house today.  :D
The good news is that it will fit in the back of my 'van perfectly....once the mirrors have been removed (permanently) and the screen is unscrewed (temporarily).
Lots of info was passed to me by Tim and the search for the FZ1s will continue.
Cheers Tim, you're a gent!

Fazer TIM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2014, 08:35:36 pm »
Not a problem Andy glad I could help thanks for the tea n biscuits. Let me know how the build goes

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2014, 07:56:43 am »
you will probably pick up a very good fz-1 for half the price of a new MT-09.......but they are almost poles apart to ride !!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2014, 11:39:58 am »
you will probably pick up a very good fz-1 for half the price of a new MT-09.......but they are almost poles apart to ride !!
Just been into Raceways in fleetwood. I keep looking at the MT09 and remembering the ride I had on one, it was fantastic! Still tempted to buy one. :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2014, 12:29:02 pm »
Hi Falcon  :)

I think we've been to some of the same places  :D

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2014, 03:32:05 pm »
You shopping for a 'live where you likey' van, too? ;)