Date: 24-04-24  Time: 16:33 pm

Author Topic: what boots??  (Read 11840 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: what boots??
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2013, 07:45:53 pm »
Dead easy, go for your shoe size as they fit really well.

Tight at the start but great in the end

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2014, 03:11:48 pm »
Just ordered myself a pair of Merlin Explorers.  Economy price for a boot £80.00 but they will do the job  :)
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

shady

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB600F5 Hornet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2014, 11:27:03 pm »
Treated myself a few years ago and bought a pair of Daytona TravelStar GTX boots, well made for sure, comfortable, slightly higher than my Dainese boots, both are gortex as l ride all year round. Great for touring, great to walk in, unlike some of the Battlestar glactica boots on the market and they dont leak in prolonged downpours, l dont use them on my daily commute though, l use the Dainese ones for that they get s**ted up with road salt!  Have to sort something out with the front o/s toe section of my Daytona boots though,  spend all that money and have unfortunately ground away quite a chunk on both boots. To the drawing board to sort out some toe slider add on  :rolleyes The Dainese ones l ve had for years are as comfortable as my slippers and didn t cost me £300 !  Point being, spend what you feel comfortable with (pardon the pun), gortex gear everytime for me but spend a whack and you get a bit more miffed when you come to damage your gear and then theres Rukka   :lol
Still got the Hornet ;-)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2014, 09:57:50 am »
After about 6 years of daily use I replaced my Alpinestars Web Goretex boots with more of the same. Didn't really need replacing but courtesy of someone else's insurance. (Well they got badly scuffed as a result of the SMIDSY)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2014, 03:58:19 pm »
I was looking for a pair of decent boots after passing my test, (I bought some cheap shite Akito boots that were nothing more than glorified wellies before), I had it down to either TCX Infinities or Daytona Roadstars.

Couldn't quite stretch to the Daytonas, and when I tried the Infinities the nice sales lady saw my injured foot, and recommended a pair of TCX S-Speed WPs that have had good reviews. After my foot took a battering I've been more concerned with protection than waterproofing and comfort, so seeing as these provided all three (though not as comfy as the Infinities) I've taken a chance on them.

Time will tell as to whether they're any good as I've only had them 3 days. I'm loving the support and ankle protection they give though.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2014, 04:37:28 pm »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
I wear Sidi Canyons, excellent boots.

Soft, comfy, can walk all day in them, Goretex, good protection, 100% waterproof.

When these give up, I'll buy another pair of the same  :)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2014, 06:05:52 pm »
Just bought these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCX-S-RACE-GORETEX-SIZE-42-8-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-ROAD-RACE-BOOTS-NEW-RRP-229-99-/281229654610?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Boots&hash=item417a97fa52

Returning to Goretex having had less luck with other "waterproof" membranes. These are v nice boots, ok to walk in surprisingly, although probably not all day obviously. £119, if you're a size 8 it's a pretty good deal.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
+1 for the sidi had mine 3 years now great boot.

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 January 2014, 07:52:54 pm »
TCX Gortex boots all the way , use in all weathers, no cold or wet feet and comfy too. I found i tried on all makes from cheap to top price and as i have wide feet sidi etc were no good at all .
As soon as i put the TCX on i knew  :)  £180 lighter but 3 years on still show hardly any wear and water tight still .[size=78%] [/size]

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 January 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
Well, the last couple of weeks have shown the Infinities to be brilliant, no leaks at all!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 January 2014, 08:33:33 pm »
I am a second hand Jane.lastpair and this pair I got now, Sidi race boots,,do me fine for my riding.and they fit nice,look good and offer some protection,,how much? who knows.
I just aint paying £300 for new when these seem fine.Oh that's the same with my leathers. :o

I will not keep the shops open,,,oh I did buy new £70 gloves last year,and £40 over wet suit.
Slim.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 January 2014, 12:23:39 am »
Altbergs definatley.

Sounds about right for an old fart on a BMW  :pokefun
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 January 2014, 04:40:34 pm »

The entertainment value of trying to dry out my crappy boots before the journey home has palled so I bought a pair of TCX Infinitys yesterday.
Sizing was a bit odd. I'm usually a 42, but those had enough room in for about six extra socks so I opted for the 41s. These are a bit tight width-wise, yet still needed an extra insole to remove some of the surplus vertical space... perhaps they need to be squashed in a vice overnight.
The plastic ratchet strips for ankle and calf adjustment look flimsy and, when the boot's off your foot, are too easy to knock out of position.

Inevitably with a new boot, they're fairly stiff... that, combined with the 70 mm thickness from gearchange pad to sole, made this morning's commute hard work. I'd adjusted the lever up slightly to compensate, but still managed a couple of premature gear changes while moving my foot under the lever.
On the plus side, I didn't have to wring my socks out when I got to work.  :)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 January 2014, 06:08:45 pm »
The plastic ratchet strips for ankle and calf adjustment look flimsy and, when the boot's off your foot, are too easy to knock out of position.

Try adding small black elastic bands over the ratchet strap nearest to the leather - worked for me for 4 yrs. Just done the same on my new pair  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 January 2014, 08:32:02 pm »

Try adding small black elastic bands over the ratchet strap nearest to the leather - worked for me for 4 yrs. Just done the same on my new pair  :D
Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)