Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:34 am

Author Topic: what boots??  (Read 11815 times)

zippywight

• DAS Born Again
  • who? me? no wasnt me, you sure? nope not me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
what boots??
« on: 17 December 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Getting some new boots from fat man in red this year as been told of by a mate for using high leg combats.... looking at Daytona Alkon XCR, are these any good for the weather and warmth or any others worth considering?   :rolleyes

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: what boots??
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2013, 09:32:06 pm »
Don't know much about those fella.

Can vouch for TCX Infinity - all day comfy, 100% waterproof, good protection & rated highly by Ride Mag. Had mine for 4 years now.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/30361
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2013, 09:33:45 pm »
Daytona boots are the best that money can buy, end of.

Personally I can't afford them and so far have gone through 2 second hand pairs, they are the most comfortable bike boots I've ever had, and I just got these off fleabay for £50!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171192181188

Not bad for a £400 pair of boots!
With my old ones I never knew you could send them off to be resoled by Daytona for about £100 and so never looked after the leather outer, something I will do with the new pair!

Oh, and I got a pair of new old stock summer ones for £30 off eBay earlier this year!
Some say...

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
Daytona's all the way. You will never wear a more comfortable and durable pair of motorcycle boots. It is certainly a case of 'you get what you pay for' with Daytona's  8)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

zippywight

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
Bargain punkstig,

Good and handy to know about getting them re-soled especially as the leather molds to you're foot contours. Will continue to look around!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2013, 10:39:02 pm »
Daytonas may be the best money can buy, but I never liked them because they lacked the feel through the soles which I prefer. Everyone to their own, but I would suggest try before you buy.
I have always used a thin sole boot as I like the feel I get through them. Last pair were a Goretex lined TCX and a Goretex lined SIDI before that. Wore them everyday in all weathers and my boots usually last about 4 years

Needed a new pair of boots the  Goretex lined TCX ones which were less than 2 years old were damaged in the off with the sorry mate I did not see you a few weeks ago and his insurance had just paid up. The edge of slider went through the leather and nicked the Goretex lining (only realised that when my foot got wet on a 80 mile rain trip) and the ankle support at the side broke.

I tried on quite a few different makes and settled on a pair of Goretex lined SIDIs as they just felt better, they were all around the 300euro mark.

Strangely enough the last TCX boots were size 43 and the last SIDI boots were size 44 but I had to go to 44 on the TCX and 45 on the SIDI to get them to fit and I know my feet have not grown. Glad I did not buy on line. They were very stiff, but have bedded in nicely.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2013, 10:44:48 pm »
Altbergs are right up there with the best of em.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2013, 10:45:54 pm »
Can vouch for TCX Infinity

+ another one for TCX boots. I've got the TCX X-tour http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/85731
Brilliant. 100% waterproof and so comfy you can walk all day in them.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2013, 10:54:46 pm »
After my little incident I'll be wearing these from now on:

Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2013, 06:37:43 am »
Daytonas may be the best money can buy, but I never liked them because they lacked the feel through the soles which I prefer. Everyone to their own, but I would suggest try before you buy.
Depends on which model you had, Daytona have about 20 different models of boot, some with thicker soles than others!
Other than that- yeah, go to a shop and try on a pair before paying out the pennies!
Some say...

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2013, 08:53:08 am »
Just thought I'd blunder in with my two cents (please, no backlash)

I borrowed a mates new pair of Sidi Vertigos when I first did my CBT, and they were really comfy, great feel etc. After that I decided on the Sidi B2 Goretex which the same mate picked up for me for £190 from the BMF show in Peterborough.

They are as comfy as the summer boots, you can feel through the sole and they're warm and 100% waterproof. The only thing I'll say is that the they're the same size as the summer boots I borrowed, but feel like they're 1 size too big, so I've just put some orthopedic insoles in, which fill the gap, and still provide the feel. My fault for not actually going along to try them out.

They've lasted me 4 years of year round riding, and they're the only boots I have for both summer and winter. And I've been told that they can be resoled.

The wife's got a pair of RST Paragon waterproof boots and she thinks they're great. Not tried on a pair myself so can't really comment. No toe sliders though.

Simon

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2013, 08:59:36 am »
Altbergs are right up there with the best of em.
+1 on Altbergs. I wear them as work boots and commute in them all weathers.
The bike specific boots are superb and should last a lifetime as they're fully rebuildable, and once broken in are like slippers. Price is good too!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2013, 10:37:14 am »
Another vote for altberg - and if you go to the factory (Richmond) and they don't have the size to fit, they'll custom build for you, no extra cost. Recommended....

A mate of mine has had his for 20 years (and probably 150k miles) - took them back to the factory a couple of years back to complain that they'd cost him nearly 5 grand - when met with rather puzzled looks, he explained that he'd had to buy another bike with the gear shift on the right, so he could start to wear out the shift pad on the right boot... They replaced the tab on his left boot for him. Can't go wrong, really!

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2013, 11:52:29 am »
Another vote for TCX Infinity. I wear mine for commuting and I'm out in all weathers so can testify them to be 100% waterproof.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2013, 12:09:00 pm »
was just casually browsing the Daytona boots off one link and nearly lost a mouthful of coffee, £849 for some boots!!  Do people really pay that?  I know that those boots are the priciest Daytonas but they are generally expensive across the range, are they that much better than Alpinestars etc?
Intentionally left blank

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2013, 12:32:01 pm »
was just casually browsing the Daytona boots off one link and nearly lost a mouthful of coffee, £849 for some boots!!  Do people really pay that?  I know that those boots are the priciest Daytonas but they are generally expensive across the range, are they that much better than Alpinestars etc?
Have a look at any racer that isn't sponsored by a boot company (sidi, alpinestars etc) and they will be wearing Daytonas!
Some say...

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2013, 12:40:14 pm »
Can't say that I have seen many of them in paddocks TBH but then again I never really paid much notice to it.
Intentionally left blank

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2013, 02:36:33 pm »
Alt-Berg Clubmasters for me. Great boot.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2013, 07:51:36 pm »
Cheaper alternatives to Daytona I've had luck with is TCX and Gaerne. I have a pair of Gaerne Balance Oiled trials boots which are great for winter and walking about in. As a bonus, despite being trials boots, they look good under a pair of jeans as they're brown.

Second hand on ebay is the way to go to find good boots on a budget but you have to make sure they'll fit well.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2013, 07:55:40 pm »
TCX Infinity for me, had them 4 years and still bang on.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2013, 08:17:54 pm »
I'd love a pair of Altbergs but couldn't get a size to fit at Silvermans (they stock them in London) and didn't want to wait the 12 weeks for a custom pair, and the trip to Yorkshire, so I bought TCX Infinity's and the definitely do what they say on the tin and the fit is great!

Tales a while to break in but I use my bike every day so it did it for me.

If I wasn't in such a rush I would try Altberg as I really fancy a pair of hand made English bike boots but the TCX's are brilliant.

Now gloves, there's a thing...

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2013, 12:01:01 pm »
Altbergs definatley.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Personally I want sport boots, with a gore tex lining for waterproofing.
Can't go wrong with most of the TCX models, particularly their new S-R1 goretex. It's very, very similar to a lot
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?prodotto=76
Very comfy (although not the easiest to walk in), totally waterproof, and extremely protective. Have a very well designed lockout system that means your foot simply cannot bend past certain points on different planes, thus protecting your ankle!

I really don't get on with a lot of the altbergs, they didn't feel racy enough or protective enough for me!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2013, 04:22:56 pm »
Comprehensive winner Zippy - TCX Infinity.......welcome to the club fella  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

zippywight

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2013, 07:04:09 pm »
Well everyone thanks for the comments and experience.Bang on!.... food for thought! Gonna go find a pair of infinities to try on.  8) will post a pic qhen fat man on red delivers.