Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:59 am

Author Topic: TDM owner thinking on Fazer 800..?  (Read 4725 times)

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
TDM owner thinking on Fazer 800..?
« on: 19 October 2013, 09:11:13 pm »
Hi all. Didn't think I'd be typing on another owners forum anytime soon being so happy with my TDM900. BUT, seen the 2013 grey n blue Fazer 800 on a show platform in a shop n was blown away by its looks... Today got to sit on one n felt quite at home. Can't think of owt I didn't like at least stationary on a shop floor! Was there to testride the MT09 which I did (nice!), but really wanted a go on a Fazer. Trouble is no demos to try... :-( Till that day what do ya think the engine we be like compared to how my TDM goes. My 9er has some nice get up n go early early off the throttle with a very linear power feed without the need to step down on the cogbox to get a move on/overtakes, etc. Back streets n lanes are all fun on the TDM... Will I find the inline four of the Fazer a bit dull? Will I be constantly be twidling me thumbs waiting for the power to come on song? Whats the character like? (if it has any) Not a talented racer or owt but ain't been on a four since I had a Thundercat bout 12 years ago so interested on peeps thoughts meanwhile before I find a steed to test... ;-)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: TDM owner thinking on Fazer 800..?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2013, 01:18:44 pm »
Umm, well that's a hard one, your personel feeling is yours to like or not,,it is true the 1000cc engine is power up on the revs, but all said and done it still has grunt lower down, some of us are on the older 07 ish snatchy ones and have self sorted as much as possible to get smoother ride power,,but it is said that the later bikes are fuelled better, if not then there are add on modds to be done to get the ride feeling to where you want it,i.e power commander PC5.  Fuel cut off eliminator FCE,.

A difficult one with no test ride.But power=yessssss
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 02:16:34 pm »
Yeah I know its a no win question really n a depends mostly on personal needs... Was just attempting to guage a little perspective before one turned up to play with... Funny thing, been back up to the shop today n there there was a Fazer thou on a 07 plate sat amongst tuther stuff. Don't know how I missed it yesterday.  :eek Anyhows immediately booked a test ride for midweek. Having a go on a CB1300 too that day whilst in Rome... Still wanna try out the 800 but this starts the ball rolling for trialing the ergonomics n rideability of these Yammies n if I like what they do, can make a choice between the sibling's... unless I get bowled over by the CB!   :lol

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2013, 04:03:06 pm »
The bulk of the Fazer8 power starts at 6,000.
Not too sure how the 2013 version with the different end can is, but the 2010-2012 had a bit of a hole at 5-6000 rpm so at 55mph you need 3rd for overtakes. With an aftermarket can, that hole isn't so noticable. 

TDM

http://www.mivv.it/risorse/8/178/323/GRAFICO_YAMAHA_TDM_900_03.pdf

Fazer8

http://www.mivv.it/risorse/8/713/943/dynochart%20Y033LGX.pdf 

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2013, 07:40:34 pm »
I'm looking at buying a TDM 850 in the next few days to replace my fazer 600 work bike. (Ive also got an fz1 that I play on) I test rode the tdm last week, and tbh the difference is chalk and Cheese! It's very torquey, lumpy, and square revving, the fazers are smooth and revvy.
I think you'll feel a bit lost on the fazer 8 waiting for the power to kick in. The fz1 would be a better choice for you, it's got a bit more torque lower down. The cb1300 is a proper grunt monster which I can imagine will be more like your tdm but turbine smooth.
Try em all, at the end of the day, they want to sell you a bike, it just has to be the right bike! 8)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2013, 08:08:13 am »
Thanks for the insight guys... That day I mentioned I tested the triple MT09 n had a lot of fun on it, but noticed I didn't have the initial grunt n squirt of my mates KTM Adventure R. Kept taking me a while to catch up... Catch up it deffo did tho but was gunning it by then n always seemed to at excessive speeds. The TDM n KTM are always evenly matched when were out n about n if anything my TDM always seems to have a slight edge with low down grunt. Powerband rush is a lotta fun, but usuable low/mid range grunt I'd enjoy most day to day... Seems I might be wishful thinking with the Fazer 8 as Stevierst rightly thinks might be the case. Gonna follow through with the Fazer thou n CB1300 test n tho n see what they bring to the party... Excited to try em out!

rik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2013, 09:32:12 pm »
stevierst iv got an 850 just needs a coil if you want to come and have a look :eek o but i'm near portsmouth
« Last Edit: 22 October 2013, 09:34:50 pm by rik »

mirdif64

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2013, 09:59:49 pm »
Another vote for the FZ 1. Can't see any advantage with the FZ 8 (even weight difference is negligible)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2013, 11:26:42 pm »
Another vote for the FZ 1. Can't see any advantage with the FZ 8 (even weight difference is negligible)

Says another fz1 owner he he :lol

Theres not many 8 owners on here & i think we'd all secretly like a thou for all sorts of reasons but is there anything we arent seeing here such as insurance & tax costs or for example some kind of affliction that only happens to the thous or whatever...

I always thought the 8 would be  best of both worlds between 6 & thou but supposedly that isnt the case but something tells me to give it a chance but the type of people to prove that is good will i suppose go for the thou & then its cred doesnt get built up like the thou & everyone says boring 8.

Im drivelling on now, i dont know why i feel sorry for the fazer8 :'(
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2013, 09:47:20 am »

Theres not many 8 owners on here & i think we'd all secretly like a thou for all sorts of reasons but is there anything we arent seeing here such as insurance & tax costs or for example some kind of affliction that only happens to the thous or whatever...

Give in, you know we're right...... :lol

Go on Noggy, do it, you know you want to; there's lots of lovely thous out there just waiting for you to come to your senses  ;)

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2013, 10:33:03 am »
Damn... with crap weather, have postponed the testrides for this week. Really want it a bit drier to see these big boys sing...  :'( Off to the Shell island bike fest camp this weekend so will have to book em in for the following week... Talking about the 800, tuther then I like the look of it specially in the grey/blue livery, I thought it was the more punchy or rather the more usable at the lower speeds? Maybe I've read it wrong here, but a couple of reviews have implied that, not that they always write sense..? Other thing is, whats with the 'ghost town' that is the 800 section on ere?  :eek Must be exclusivity, eh!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2013, 11:13:52 am »

Go on Noggy, do it, you know you want to; there's lots of lovely thous out there just waiting for you to come to your senses  ;)

I really would Nick but sadly i know id get bugger all for my bike so ill keep it til it dies.......i could maybe squeeze 2 small bikes in my shed too though so i think if i ever get a second it will be something like a drz400 that i can easily manhandle into the corner or even create a little lean to for & id use it during the nice winter days when my 600 is sleeping with its battery out etc......i could have a 6 & a thou but i think they're too much similar bikes & id prob just end up using the thou every time...or i could get something different as a 2nd bike, like an r1 for hooning about.

Yep ill wait til the 600 dies......if it goes years & years with hardly any problems then ill be happy i got some moneys worth but the first sign of any major problem i think ill flog it, ive done far too much farting around already & although it has tought me stuff i missed out on so much biking & thats what its all about.

You got me thinking again though :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2013, 11:25:17 am »
Keep thinking......I'm after a winter hack if something comes up at the right price  ;)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2013, 03:49:30 pm »
stevierst iv got an 850 just needs a coil if you want to come and have a look :eek o but i'm near portsmouth

Thanks for the offer rik, but your about 300 miles away.:(:(:(

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2013, 01:52:02 pm »
Well I've done it, I've only gone and bought one. Done 60 miles on it so far, not sure if I've made the righht choice though.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2013, 01:58:20 pm »
Well I've gone and done it. Done 60 miles so far, not sure if I've done the right thing though. ???

mirdif64

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2013, 08:32:03 pm »
How's the "Tedium" ?
Toyed with the idea of getting one before.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2013, 10:36:24 pm »
Hmmmm. It's certainly different!
It's just been used for my commute atm, and it doesn't like corners. The rear weaves about when it's leant over, I think the shock is buggered!

The engine is pretty good, very torquey and the riding position isn't too bad. You can't ride it like a fazer, it's more for touring than hooning about on, but it's speed build up is deceptive.
Can't make my mind up atm whether to keep it, or not.
£1300 if anyone wants it ;D

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2013, 01:21:00 pm »
Nice! Got interested in TDM's cus of the silver n yellow mark 2. Never ended up getting that 850 tho n when I eventually looked for a TDM I went for the 900. Both cool bikes in my opinion,  but different beast to he fair with the 900 not burning any oil, better mpg,  lighter, more power, quicker, etc. Mine goes round corners too, but just as happy on a long trek fully loaded... Had 65 mpg outta it which ain't bad for the old girl which still hs a nice bit a grunt. N just replaced me 'rear' sports touring tyre after 7000 miles of ragging it n touring so an a tight arse bike it makes too.. I rate my 9er that well I'm suprising myself lookin at other bikes to testride. Just like lotsa bikes I suppose.

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2013, 04:28:27 pm »
Just an update. Got me testrides today... Took the Mrs too to give opinion for the back. Did the CB1300sa first. Eventful feeling climbing aboard n felt like a Misters bike and whilst I generally like its deffo not for me or the Mrs. She HATED it! Knee room n grab rail postitions were mainly to blame. For me it felt nicely planted n was strong off low revs, but no general excitement given unless you wrung its neck. To much weight on me wrists n got shoulder ache too for the short 30 min ride. Onto the main event... The Fazer Thou. To start far better riding position for me tho it did have risers. Anyhows, just felt more comfy. Did the same route as the CB n felt more connected all the way through.Its light weight n handles sweet tho the CB felt good in the corners too. Got a couple of chances to open her up after finding the right revs she snarled like a tiger...  :evil Lovely rush of power it was... Nice to ride in town too with no snatchiness or owt. My Mrs sang its praises compared to the CB with better general ergonomics for her frame. So it was a no brainer that the Fazer was the better steed for us.... until we got back on the TDM 9er to go home. Gotta say 'in my opinion' (and the wives) what a well sorted do all bike the 9er really is! Its ergonomics are brill. No weight on wrists, oodles of leg room n a comfy perch to munch the miles. It very free revving n has stomp at the flick of the wrists which is more my riding style. Proper character, specially with MTC cans n a K&n. It scratches, it tours. It carries the pillion in comfort and the luggage too. 130 odd mph, up to 65mpg n a whopping tank range. Has practical storage aboard. Could go on n on, but best not think being on a Fazer forum!  :rolleyes  :lol Riding home the Mrs shouts through the bluetooth she loves our TDM. N gotta agree too. Not slagging the Fazer at all here as its a sweet, lovely bike. Looks sexy, has a exciting warp speed rush once the revs are engaged n is a smashing allrounder. If I'd fell in love with the inline four characteristics, I might be singing a different tune, but for me, I already have the best bike for my general purposes n its a twin making it happen. Had it nearly 3 years now, but loving most bikes, naturally had a itch to scratch with a possible replacement. Happily for the Mrs can leave the money in the bank now n just enjoy what I already have. Thanks for the replies n previous help to try n put me straight...  Happy riding!  :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2013, 05:51:40 pm »
Glad you've made the right choice for you both, it can be a worrying time when you get itchy feet and want to change, but you've got the best bike for you, enjoy it for another 3 years bud!
(Me on the other hand am not really connecting to the tdm too well. I've made a bad choice!)

nottoofast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TDM900
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2013, 10:18:18 pm »
Thanks Stevierst. Don't go on the TDM forum much myself or at least scribble on there, but have noticed you'd posted up about iffy handling... Not been on the 850 but do ya think ya might be just unlucky with the one ya ended up with? The 850 seems overall well regarded as a rule from all that I've read n been told... On another note, did ya not consider the 900? From my understanding its somewhat better on most counts... Mines rides sweet enough. Still if ya riding requirements differ to mine some, might not make a difference anyhows...  :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2013, 12:13:21 am »
I like the torque, and town riding is miles better than my old work hack (fazer 600), but there's a lot wrong with this one, and it's only supposed to be a cheap get to work bike. Fuel consumption isnt the best (45mpg versus 55mpg fazer). If I can sort the handling, I'll like the bike a lot better. Might have to buy a new shock yet, as the maxton one seems buggered!