Date: 24-04-24  Time: 02:56 am

Author Topic: Pheasant suicide  (Read 3170 times)

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Pheasant suicide
« on: 13 October 2013, 01:30:34 pm »
So there I am, cruising along on my Fazer8 on a nice B road, minding my own business, when a suicidal pheasant flies up from the very grassy and overgrown verge, straight in front of me. No chance to do anything except hold on tight and watch as it smashes into the fairing then over my head.  A fraction of a second either way and it would have failed in its attempt to kill itself, and no, I did not stop to pick it up and eat it as road kill.
Pity really, cos I could have put it down as the most expensive meal I have ever had, £850 damage!

Need a new fairing, headlamp, and wing-mirror, thanks very much. Maybe we should start a campaign to have a pheasant cull, or better still, make the farmers lock them all up. I had heard of this happening before but never expectd it would happen to me, I thought the odds were too long. Just shows you, still, could have been worse, had it hit my head I would have been off the bike and who knows what would have happened.

Ride safe peeps and watch out for depressed pheasants. :)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2013, 01:33:03 pm by sure2ride »
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

bluefaze

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Pheasant suicide
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
had five of them fly into me from roadside halfway round a big righthander, ended up with broken pelvis that time :( :(

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2013, 01:38:30 pm »
had five of them fly into me from roadside halfway round a big righthander, ended up with broken pelvis that time :( :(

Blimey, I got off lightly then !  Hope you are fully fixed up now ;)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

bluefaze

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2013, 01:41:38 pm »
was a few years ago, but i still hate pheasants with a vengance :)

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2013, 04:18:01 pm »
£850 damage!
Broken pelvis!

I had similar with a wasp on my last tour. Heading out of town at 30mph one clipped the top of the screen and somersaulted into my neckwarmer. Before I could stop and get rid of it I got stung twice.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2013, 05:33:49 pm »
Peasants disgust me, what with their diseases and all, Robin Hood should have been hung for helping them out!
Some say...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2013, 05:44:05 pm »
Peasants disgust me, what with their diseases and all, Robin Hood should have been hung for helping them out!

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2013, 06:31:52 pm »
I've had a few close calls with them in the past, but thankfully not on the bike. First was in my old Golf where the bugger just ran right across the road and the other was a few weeks back whilst I was in a rented Van on the A414. Bugger ran across the two lanes of oncoming traffic just missed the car in front and then attempted to take off and just barely missed the right hand side of the Vans cockpit... had my heart racing for a few miles after that

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2013, 07:03:42 pm »
Couple of years ago one flew into my helmet whilst I was overtaking.
Smashed my Visor knocked the lenses out of my glasses & cut my cheek, & split the lower part of the helmet.
The bird disintegrated and showered its remains all over my mate behind me.
That was not fun.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2013, 07:59:54 pm »
Glancing blow at 70mph, stopped went back and rung the feckers neck , top box and pot a week later. Ford Fiesta clipped one in front of me stopped rung the feckers neck, top box, got home opened the top box and the bastard was still alive sitting there looking for a reprieve. Sorry for the bird hopefully this time it did not suffer to much. It was a tough old bird though not great eating.
They have to be the silliest birds on the planet. Both were from Welsh Wales see. :lol :lol :lol .
I did have a close encounter with a deer going through France earlier this year , now that was an under ware changing moment, thank God for ABS. 
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2013, 08:02:22 pm »
I've had to pigeon from a lot of ducks lately.
Or, should that be.................... :\

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2013, 10:37:40 pm »
A heron flew out in front of me, now they are a big bird, had a few near misses but only hit by a sparrow on the leg at about 30 mph still hurt?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2013, 11:30:04 pm »
It was a tough old bird though not great eating
Having to ring its neck TWICE should of gave you a heads up on that one. !!
I think what happends is that on a bike with our loud exhausts it startals the critters and we are on them so fast that they get caught up. I think pidgeons are the main offender as they are indeed stupid and fly low over the road, somtimes along the hedge row and then across you. If I see one zig zagging I always give it a blast of me horn and if they are flying across the road there are mostly two of them. The nearest ive got is around a rounabout ( thats turning right) take a quick left extit and then have to duck at the same time as a pidgeon flew at me, and that was one move , twist too many and just pulled somthing in my back. From riding my bike I even duck now when im in my car 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2013, 11:48:44 pm »

[size=0px]' I did not stop to pick it up and eat it as road kill.[/size][/size][size=0px]Pity really, cos I could have put it down as the most expensive meal I have ever had, £850 damage!'

It tasted superb thanks. I really should start riding with an empty saddle bags to collect these kind offerings. more likely to get away with pulling over on a  bike than a car :D [/size]
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2013, 06:13:51 pm »
Pheasants! Phah small fry, when you're bimbling around Wales in the hills, it's the bloody sheep you have to watch out for. Not hit any on bike, but had some close calls with car.  Stupid things, once one pokes itself through a crappy fence, they all follow, before you know it you round a bend and there's half dozen huge heavy white fluffy things in front of you!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2013, 10:54:54 pm »
Pheasants! Phah small fry, when you're bimbling around Wales in the hills, it's the bloody sheep you have to watch out for. Not hit any on bike, but had some close calls with car.  Stupid things, once one pokes itself through a crappy fence, they all follow, before you know it you round a bend and there's half dozen huge heavy white fluffy things in front of you!

I'm getting the feeling you may soon be offered a tow bar in case u ever happen to hit one with your bike
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)